IGNORED

Halo 2 sales $125 million

Foxy Cleopatra

Funny how you got all pissy when a certain person was saying the DS is overhyped junk :roll:  Of course, she didn't throw a tantrum like you did. And really,  keilbaca was doing nothing more than being an asshole about it, as many plainly saw. Oh well, none of that will stop the Halo sales anyways so continue on.......

I know what you're referring to, but methinks you're remembering someone else. Don't seem to remember ever throwing a tantrum myself, but whatever, don't much feel like typing out a defense. 'Course you wouldn't notice if I did, what with your head being continually stuck up Foxy's ass

I hate when people try to compare movies and video games and "entertainment" in general...$50 for Halo and $9 for a movie (not counting popcorn etc) are not easy to compare sales figures with without being able to slur the stats to bolster whatever argument you want to support either way. Comparison to other games is not so bad...but still seems kinda silly to compare to a movie...I saw a guy from MS doing the movie comparison on CNN last night. :ponder:

Was just trying to put into perspective how much money they were making off it thats all, not really trying to compare them. Still curious about how much it cost to produce however.

Also, I saw a guy on CNN yesterday talking about how big Video games were and he was practically bragging about how many movie based games were coming out soon. Is that really somthing you should brag about?

-Tim

I'm interested in seeing how Halo 2 has turned out. I just won't be in a rush to buy it until it comes out on the PC. Why oh why can't MS release a mouse/keyboard combo for the Xbox???  :x

well MS didn't but.....

SmartJoy FRAG is an adapter to use a mouse/keyboard on the Xbox. I have no idea if it works good but I have read that it does. I just wish they'd do away with the right analog stick and throw a trackball in there instead......

I'm interested in seeing how Halo 2 has turned out. I just won't be in a rush to buy it until it comes out on the PC. Why oh why can't MS release a mouse/keyboard combo for the Xbox???  :x

well MS didn't but.....

SmartJoy FRAG is an adapter to use a mouse/keyboard on the Xbox. I have no idea if it works good but I have read that it does. I just wish they'd do away with the right analog stick and throw a trackball in there instead......

i like that right analog stick :) its in the perfect spot for my thumb :)

The positioning of the stick isn't what's in question, just the fact that I have to control a FPS with a fucking game controller is what pisses me off. I'll look into that suggestion though, Starscream. I may pick up an Xbox for myself sometime relatively soon (yes, I know, the Apocalypse is upon us).

I hate when people try to compare movies and video games and "entertainment" in general...$50 for Halo and $9 for a movie (not counting popcorn etc) are not easy to compare sales figures with without being able to slur the stats to bolster whatever argument you want to support either way. Comparison to other games is not so bad...but still seems kinda silly to compare to a movie...I saw a guy from MS doing the movie comparison on CNN last night. :ponder:

Was just trying to put into perspective how much money they were making off it thats all, not really trying to compare them. Still curious about how much it cost to produce however.

Also, I saw a guy on CNN yesterday talking about how big Video games were and he was practically bragging about how many movie based games were coming out soon. Is that really somthing you should brag about?

-Tim

Hi Tim..

I was more trying to refer to the guy on CNN than to you personally....the movie/game thing is what I was trying to get at...they also stated the movie studios were looking at buying some of the software companies....sounds like a bad move to me...i dunno.

:ponder:

The only bad thing about halo 2 is that it almost seems like it's missing the last level. I'm assuming MS is going to have the real last level as a downloadable or something, but god only knows.

Weird. Like I said in my previous post, for a game they seemed to take their time on it seems very very rushed and unplolished in parts.

I'm real tempted to get it now. I only bought Halo 1 a couple of days ago, played about half of the campaign so far, hooked up with a friend and played some excellent multiplayer (he bought Halo 1 as well today amid sneers of derision from the store "What? You don't have that already? Get Halo 2!! "etc..).

I hate FPS and my friend hates using a controller to play them, but Halo seems to have overcome both those problems. Wonderful game, and a hell of a lot wittier than I was expecting.

We'll get the sequel mainly so we can take advantage of widescreen support in multiplayer. I've become a bit of a convert here I think. Glad Halo 2 is doing well. I'd rather a GOOD game got the money than the usual EA crap.

That is indeed a lot of dough. I think sometimes folks get upset when money/popularity is mentioned because it's not actually representative of quality. In Halo 1&2's case, quality seems to be there regardless of the sales/hype.

I tried it yesterday at a friends for about an hour. Nice graphics, good control, all around pretty well done from what I saw. Just like the first one, I'm not that impressed but I'm not a big fan of that genre. It'll never be the big draw for me that it is for other folks. If you like that kind of game, seems like a good choice to me though.

Out of curiousity, how are GTA:SA's sales in comparison? That's another franchise that just doesn't do much for me.

The positioning of the stick isn't what's in question, just the fact that I have to control a FPS with a fucking game controller is what pisses me off. I'll look into that suggestion though, Starscream. I may pick up an Xbox for myself sometime relatively soon (yes, I know, the Apocalypse is upon us).

I used to be the same way about FPS with a gamepad. It really isn't so bad once you get used to it. Halo just happened to be the first game that motivated me to make the transition.

still overrated. just that many stupid people in the U.S.

Hi are you a Nintendo fanboy? Please start a thread so I can go shit in it... Thanks for stopping by.

Why is he a Nintendo fanboy? Only thing he said is H2 is overrated, which IT IS. Maybe you're just an Xbox fanboy? :ponder: :roll:

still overrated. just that many stupid people in the U.S.

Hi are you a Nintendo fanboy? Please start a thread so I can go shit in it... Thanks for stopping by.

Why is he a Nintendo fanboy? Only thing he said is H2 is overrated, which IT IS. Maybe you're just an Xbox fanboy? :ponder: :roll:

I'm with Foxy on this one. Sure, Halo might be overrated, but "just that many stupid people" isn't a way of figuring out if Halo 2 is a worthy game or not.

From first hand experience, I'm saying yeah, there are a number of weirdly unpolished areas and it's too easy to not know where to go. Plus the new default rifle is a little annoying at first. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt 'til I play it more, however. Maybe getting through the campaign in one player will make co-op that much better, I can tell the other guys where to go...

I'm with Foxy on this one. Sure, Halo might be overrated, but "just that many stupid people" isn't a way of figuring out if Halo 2 is a worthy game or not.

Who ever said it was supposed to be a way to figure out if it's a worthy game or not? I think it was more indicitive of the people who happily chucked over $60 or $70 for an overrated game because of nothing more then the name and/or the hype.

You'de have thought Bungie was selling the secret to eternal life with the way everyone went crazy a nutz with the amount of pre-orders and midnight buyers.

Maybe his exact wording was a little harsh and extreme. But I don't exactly disagree with the sentiment behind it. It's just a game people.

:o

:D

Well, look at the bright side, you can run Linux on it :)

Who ever said it was supposed to be a way to figure out if it's a worthy game or not? I think it was more indicitive of the people who happily chucked over $60 or $70 for an overrated game because of nothing more then the name and/or the hype.

That much? Was that for the special edition?

And I don't think it's "the name and/or the hype"--

well, I mean that's only part of the story. "The Name" is the original Halo (and before that the highly-regarded Marathon")--that's not Name, that's deserved Reputation. And Hype? Well yeah, it looked like there was more of the same cool stuff. So people have high expectations for the game.

You'de have thought Bungie was selling the secret to eternal life with the way everyone went crazy a nutz with the amount of pre-orders and midnight buyers.

It was a little weird, but what the heck. I mean why go see a move in a cinema? Just because of the big screen? Because you're afraid the world might end before it's out on DVD? Mostly, you go see it so you can talk about it while it's still a cultural hot topic for conversation and what not.

Maybe his exact wording was a little harsh and extreme. But I don't exactly disagree with the sentiment behind it. It's just a game people.

True. And at this point in my goofing around with it, not as compelling a game as the one that came before it...

Truth is with Halo being such a cult classic if MS or Bungie didn't run one single print ad or TV commercial sales would still be through the roof.

Hype didn't make this game a huge seller (it didn't hurt though). What made the game sell was people played the first game. They know what kind of quality to expect from bungie. People who spend money on a new mercedes benz know in advance what kind of quality mercedes offers. Are these people stupid for knowing what they want and buying it with their own money? The Halo name didn't sell the game - Bungie's name did. Do you think if the people responsible for that Aquaman game were in charge of Halo 2 it still would have had the interest? Bungie's next game will be a new IP. I'm willing to bet gamers demand stores open at midnight for that game as well. I have'nt bought into the hype. I just know quality when I see it. Course maybe I'm just stupid.

It does seem a bit nuts paying over 50 bucks for a game at first, but its a game the people (the buyers) like and will enjoy. Say if a limited edition Aliens VS Predator or Metal Gear Solid game came out for lets say 60 bucks and it had never before seen weapons/ characters/ etc, I would buy it because I love the series and I know I will like it. I paid 70 bucks for Alien VS Predator on the Jaguar and some people say thats stupid well I love the series and I have never gotten tired of it. People will pay a lot of money for something they like. Limited Edition games are good examples.

Hype didn't make this game a huge seller (it didn't hurt though). What made the game sell was people played the first game. They know what kind of quality to expect from bungie. People who spend money on a new mercedes benz know in advance what kind of quality mercedes offers. Are these people stupid for knowing what they want and buying it with their own money? The Halo name didn't sell the game - Bungie's name did. Do you think if the people responsible for that Aquaman game were in charge of Halo 2 it still would have had the interest? Bungie's next game will be a new IP. I'm willing to bet gamers demand stores open at midnight for that game as well. I have'nt bought into the hype. I just know quality when I see it. Course maybe I'm just stupid.

I don't think so. There is so much more hype at play here than you think. So many people who don't know a PS2 from an Xbox are buzzing about Halo 2. They know NOTHING about vids, but they do know that they are supposed to buy Halo 2. It's on the front page of the newspaper here today and was yesterday and the day before as well. It's on the friggin news, every website gaming or not. This is selling largely due to hype, which is fine, but we're not exactly talking about millions of educated, dedicated and hardcore gamers pushing these sales. We're talking about everyday sheep being spoonfed hype.