IGNORED

Midway At 2 is awfull!

sega saturn x

Man this was such a waste of media play points this game is just sooooo bad they managed to get some of the worst games from the 8 and 16 bit era and got them on 1 disk. Plus the saound is bad there are only a handfull of actuly playable games on the disk. Plus i remember mortal kombat being alot more fun with better controls.

I haven't heard too many good things about this comp. I bought the first one for my GC and it was okay although I hate the interface and the grating noise it makes after you select a game and it prompts "Press Start" after loading.

With the second compilation, all the games I would want to play I already own for my Lynx.

Time to vent: I'm getting burnt out on "classic games for console 'X'". Are they going to rehash these comps with every system that comes out? I see Atarfogrames has an 'Atari Anthology' ready for release with (you guessed it) classic arcade games (*cough* Atari Anniversary Edition Redux with a couple extra games *cough*) and a bunch of 2600 titles (some of which are on the Flashback). Yes folks, buy it again for the umpteenth time! Step right up!

Color me unimpressed with playing emulated games on newer systems.

- Jason

Sounds like it's a good thing I didn't waste my money on this. The main reason I didn't get it was because it didn't have any games on it that I'd ever played before! (I'm too old to consider most of the games in this set "classic," I guess...)

Then again, I shouldn't be too cocky... I bought WarioWare. (Incidentally, I just put it up for sale on eBay. :ponder: )

Anyway... what I really want in the classic reissue genre is for Nintendo to release the classic NES series for the 'Cube!!! I want Donkey Kong!!!! (Actually, I want the arcade version... but almost anything will do, except for the hasty DK microgame in WarioWare... it rivals the Intellivision version.)

Anyway... what I really want in the classic reissue genre is for Nintendo to release the classic NES series for the 'Cube!!!  I want Donkey Kong!!!!  (Actually, I want the arcade version... but almost anything will do, except for the hasty DK microgame in WarioWare... it rivals the Intellivision version.)

Here's how I do it:

GameCube + Game Boy Player + e-Reader + Donkey Kong e-Reader cards = DK on the big screen! :D

- Jason

Anyway... what I really want in the classic reissue genre is for Nintendo to release the classic NES series for the 'Cube!!!  I want Donkey Kong!!!!  (Actually, I want the arcade version... but almost anything will do, except for the hasty DK microgame in WarioWare... it rivals the Intellivision version.)

Here's how I do it:

GameCube + Game Boy Player + e-Reader + Donkey Kong e-Reader cards = DK on the big screen! :D

- Jason

Or use a GBA player and the reissue of DK.

Here's how I do it:

- Jason

Or just unlock it in Animal Crossing or Donkey Kong 64 :D

I think people are really blowing it out of proportion. I've liked what i've played so far. Xybots is exact, Primal Rage is pretty much as I remember it, Wacko is weird as hell...... I haven't played the rest of them, but I will if I can ever stop playing Halo 2.......

I was disappointed with a couple of the games - it is true that the speed is messed up on Pit Fighter (who cares) and (I think) Wizard of Wor (damn!)

BUT - it's $20 and you do get MK2 and 3, which I would pay $20 for alone. A.P.B. is definitely cool, and there's some fun to be had messing around with the lesser known games. Bottom line for me - it ain't perfect, but for $20 it's still and undeniable value.

BUT - it's $20 and you do get MK2 and 3, which I would pay $20 for alone.

Why? You can get these already several times over on just about every system that's come around out since their initial release. If that's the case, I have an MK Trilogy for the PSone I'll sell you for $20.00.

A.P.B. is definitely cool, and there's some fun to be had messing around with the lesser known games.  

There's some fun to be had with just about any game that comes out whether or not it is good. You can even have fun with Michael Jackson's Moonwalker game if you are creative enough, but that doesn't mean it should have been released. After what I read from Midway and their attitude towards classic games, I decided against getting this comp. After reading the reviews here and everywhere else, I'm glad I didn't bother with this one.

Here's how I do it:

- Jason

DK 64 has the arcade version instead of the NES version.

Thanks Sku_u, but I've got MK Trilogy, and it's cool. However, I want the original versions of 2 and 3 as well. Also, I have MK2 and 3 on Genesis and Super Nintendo and gameboy for that matter. Doesn't mean I don't want an arcade perfect (OK, probably not "perfect") translation of them.

Whatever rude things Midway says about "classic" gamers, their actions speak louder than words when they keep releasing compilations of classic games! The large number of people buying these packs, in turn, lets them know that a lot of gamers still love those games.

If you're the sort of person who owned a 2600 back in the day and likes

to visit Atari websites in 2004 then yeah I can see why this set would

dissapoint. The first set certainly had all the big names on it, this set is

really more represents the late 80s and early 90s of the arcade. I wish

they had put more thought and planning into these releases as I think

that some of the older games on this set would shine better with the

games on MAT1. I have the PS2 version.

MK2 - is a reason to own this set, its darn near close to perfect and if you

like fighters then you will have fun with this. Some emulation errors but

nothing too big.

MK3 - has a lot of emulation errors and also at this point in MK's history

there was IMHO better fighter franchices going on like Virtua Fighter 2.

Gauntlet II - very boring compared to Diablo and the other modern

games. Unlimited continues loses alot of the urgency, multiple players

might make it a bit funner but its really bad after all these years.

Spy Hunter II - a bad game 20 years ago looks even worse now.

Xybots - the small play field is annoying but I found myself enjoying this

one, I really would like to try this with a second player.

NARC - one I was looking forward too and well this game friggin sucks!!

Its just too hard. Enemies swarm out and kill you quickly especially that

annoying needle guy. This game really defines 'quarter eater' I like an

arcade game to be challenging but not full of cheap shots.

APB - never heard of it until now, if you can here it the video clips are

interesting in this one and best describe the game. Too many ideas and

game options but none done well. There is a lot of little things to find but

the game just isn't that fun.

Cyberball 2072 - this game is pretty fun HOWEVER its the game's arcade

roots that hurt it. If there wasn't such a timed rush to things and more

plays to choose from, it would be a lot better. I'd buy a remake.

Timber - cutesy but lame. Might be better with two people.

Total Carnage - Smash TV spinoff, its got good humor and is fun but I'd

rather play Smash TV.

Pit Fighter - this was always weak fighter and its just not worth the time.

Wizard of Wor - emulated poorly, but I never liked the game, the fact its

so old makes it look worse on this set, should've been in MAT1

Xenophobe - cool then but its pretty blah now

Primal Rage - I'm not a fan of this game, but its emulated well reminds

me too much of the Jurrasic Park mania of the mid 90s.

Arch Rivals - its alright but its really been supersceded by NBA Jam

Rampage World Tour - there is a lot more to do in this game so its more

fun that the dull original, still gets repetitive though, newest game on the

disc too from 1997.

Kozmik Krooz'r - playable but just one of many early 80s also rans.

Championship Sprint - controls suck making this fun game unplayable.

Hard Drivin' - choppy framrate and controls are brutal

Wacko - I actually like this oldie which I never heard of until now but it

seems to be one that shows up on a lot of other peoples shit lists.

So out of 20 games MK2 and surprisingly Wacko are the only ones I

really play. Oh well...

I think it's a decent enough collection, though the camcorder multimedia extras are pretty low-rent. Remember the budget price, the limits of emulation on a console, and most importantly, the role of lawyers and "intellectual property." Midway has the rights to its own games, and that's it. You can't fault them for not having rights to the Nintendo library. ;)

NES Classic collection on a console: go to www.GBAX.com and get yourself a GBA flash card. Then load PocketNES onto it and all the ROMs you can eat. Illegal? Yes. Too cool for school? Also yes. Or there's always the Dreamcast route.

I haven't heard too many good things about this comp. I bought the first one for my GC and it was okay although I hate the interface and the grating noise it makes after you select a game and it prompts "Press Start" after loading.

With the second compilation, all the games I would want to play I already own for my Lynx.

Time to vent: I'm getting burnt out on "classic games for console 'X'". Are they going to rehash these comps with every system that comes out? I see Atarfogrames has an 'Atari Anthology' ready for release with (you guessed it) classic arcade games (*cough* Atari Anniversary Edition Redux with a couple extra games *cough*) and a bunch of 2600 titles (some of which are on the Flashback). Yes folks, buy it again for the umpteenth time! Step right up!

Yeah, I agree. That's the lawyerly state of the industry again. No commercial collection can be as complete as MAME or MESS. When I think of the Atari VCS, I don't classify games in my head as Activision, Atari, or some third party. I would make the Flashback a better representation of classic gaming back in the day, with a mess-o-common but popular games built in. If I were unconstrained by legal issues, and I could pick 15 2600 and 5 7800 games the Flashback would contain something like ...

Combat

Pitfall

Berzerk

Stargate

Solaris

Joust

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Frogger

Super Cobra

Enduro

Space Invaders

Kaboom! (with proper paddle controls!)

Warlors (ditto)

Starmaster

Demon Attack

7800 games (believe it or not, I'm pretty much happy with the selection as is, which is why I am probably getting the Flashback)

Food Fight

Asteroids

Ballblazer

Dark Chambers

Desert Falcon

Planet Smashers

... and Centipede and/or Galaga, Robotron, Xevious, Pole Position II, or Dig-Dug

Of course, everyone's wishlist would be a little different, which is why everyone wants the Flashback to take ROMs. Not yet, folks ... :sad:

I would have left out Planet Smashers on that list, and throw in in Alien Brigade. I'd also toss Asteroids off the 7800 list, and put in Midnight Mutants. And i'd have to crowbar Ninja Golf in, also. Just for the coolness factor.  8)
Just played the ROM of Ninja Golf. That must be the stupidest thing I've seen all month! Yes, I'd like that in there, too. :love: :love: :dunce:

I quite liked this compilation. I would have paid double just for MKII :!: This was the reason for buying it in the first place (and at half price i was very pleased indeed). I have played all the MKII ports on other systems and this one is by far the BEST Home version of the game (IMHO)! Having said that, i find it difficult to play with the standart controller, so i finally have an excuse to get an X-Arcade-stick.

The only dissapointment for me is Gauntlet II. This was the second of the 2 reasons i wanted this compilation (4-player on XBOX). However, as tyranthraxus already mentioned, the unlimited continues spoil the gameplay - no more need to fight for the food - just press (insert button of choice here) and done. :x Btw, i much prefer Gauntlet II on my Atari ST (with the 4-P adaptor of course :wink: ) I still think thats the best home version to date (AND it kicks arse over the Amiga version :P )!

As for the other games, well... it's been a week now and i still haven't gotten around to playing them --- Halo 2 calls :D

Whatever rude things Midway says about "classic" gamers, their actions speak louder than words when they keep releasing compilations of classic games!   The large number of people buying these packs, in turn, lets them know that a lot of gamers still love those games.

Does Midway really have many other popular titles? I suppose MK still

has a following but with no arcade presence anymore its not as strong

as the arcade based series. And The Suffering was a recent game that

did okay but for most part they sure do shovel out a lot of shit. Will

Midway be the next old time company to go down?

Here's how I do it:

- Jason

DK 64 has the arcade version instead of the NES version.

DK 64 has the *closest* version of Donkey Kong to the arcade.. but it doesn't take the cigar. It still has little things that will annoy you if you've played the arcade game long enough. No.. at this point the only way to get DK arcade goodness on a console that's 100% satisfyingly faithful as far as gameplay goes is to go w/ Mame on the Xbox. :)

I liked Gauntlet 2... :ponder:

The problem I have is with Wizard of Wor...it's a little to fast...playable, but not for long :sad: sadly this was one of my favorite games back in the day...along with Gorf. :love:

The rest of the games are pretty much ok to me...I like it...for $20 it's great...me and a friend played MK the other day for a couple of hours....was a blast.