IGNORED

2600 on Antiques Roadshow

Ridenmy65

It was a pretty good piece I thought. He spoke about the condition of games being important for collectors. He especially noted labels. He didn't mention boxes or mauals though.

He broke out some rare games, chase the chuckwagon, tooth protectors, waterworld and quadrun.

The one thing I thought he was mistaken on was that he said that one would have to shell out 100 to 200 bucks for a console.

But overall it was a really good piece on the system.

I have been watching "Antiques Roadshow" and a lot of other similar show on HGTV, on cable for about a year now. I thought it would be really cool to see something like this, and when it does happen I missed it.

Hopefully they will repeat the episode later tonight and I'll see it then

Am I just mistaken or are the Atari 2600 systems usually sell for on average $40? I usually pick mine up at yard sales and thrift stores, my most recent I got a Atari 2600 6-switch for only $3.00 with all the trimmings and works perfect at a thrift store

I just checked the TV guide for all of those who missed it, the Antiques Roadshow is repeating the episode later tonight at 3:00 AM EST on PBS. Check your paper to be sure.

The eposide is name is Antiques Roadshow - Las Vegas, Nevada. I'll have my VCR recording

Had to fix the timezone, here in Indiana the Daylight savings time never changes our time.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Junie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

Whats sad is people are gonna listen to this guy and try and charge that price for a 2600 console

Yeah only if you plan to buy one online, they will undoubtly raise the price. I always buy in the "wild", and I highly doubt this will change anything.

Of course the show is known for over pricing, and once the eBay sellers try to sell the systems and can't for that price everything should return to normal online.

quote:

Originally posted by Ridenmy65:

Here is an interesting question.

Would a collection be more complete with little video segments and commercials about the 2600 that once aired on TV?

I personally would say it would nicely add to the collection. I have been looking for various things like this, I often record countless hours of the TV Land channel (They play old commercials) trying to get some recorded-- Still no luck..

Also there are places you can buy old original Atari company documents and such, which I plan to add to my Atari collection.

I don't think we have to worry about the price of 2600s going up because of this episode. Hate to tell you, but this is already a repeat. I remember that episode from roughly a year and a half ago. It was the moment when I decided to get back into 2600 collecting, and the moment I realized I had passed up a Boxed Quadrun at a thrift store just 3 days earlier for $3.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: scooterb23 ]

I don't think I've *ever* watched this show, but for some strange reason I happened to catch this particular episode while channel surfing several months ago. Perhaps I was surfing and caught a glimpse of an Atari 2600 and thought, "What the hell was that?" and surfed bcak. But I almost never surf television with TiVo, especially since we had four in the house when I was in CA (my roommate and I were both working for TiVo). I thought the segment was reasonably well put together, although I must have missed the part about consoles going for $100 - $200. If that's the case, I have about 40 2600 consoles I need to start unloading on eBay.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

No Albert ya cant do that , Ya need to give me a deal on a Darth Vader 2600 first , then you can hit Ebay

Now that I've filled a portion of my garage with tons of boxes containing various and sundry classic gaming hardware/software, I'll be able to get at those consoles with relative ease. Probably won't be able to this weekend, but if you ask me before next weekend I'll see what I can do. I'll only charge you the low end of that $100-$200 scale.

..Al