IGNORED

Q-Bert mockup screens and X-mas version

Retrofan

Hello, here are mockup screens for a new Q*Bert. Yes I know: the game exists for the 2600 and there are copyrights on it. But I want to try to make graphics better (but it's not easy). Please give comments:

Version 1:

Q-Bert_1.gif

Version 2:

Q-Bert_2.gif

And if the copyrights are a problem: Here is Santa-Q (or X*Bert?, he jumps on a X-mas tree and turn on the lights):

X-Bert.gif

I LIKE the Santa themed one! The difficulty here is that it is hard to make it look like a pyramid using a right triangle design (hench the Q*Bert we already have!). I wish you much luck, and hope you CAN come up with a good design!

Who attacks Santa as he trims the tree? The Grinch? Capitalist Pigs? Rabid 8 year olds? :) :)

Thank you for the comments. My idea was to go a little bit around the pyramid to simplify the graphics for the 2600. And I thought black doesn't count for the 2 colors in a scanline so I can use yellow and blue, but that was a mistake? :(

It's not easy!

(enemy could be a nutcracker, the grinch, a pumpkin, Jack Skellington, an easter bunny ...)

Hi there!

And I thought black doesn't count for the 2 colors in a scanline so I can use yellow and blue, but that was a mistake? :(

Yes. :|

Hm... but that's what the original Q-Bert does. Those color changes are not generally impossible, only depending on the design the timing might become nightmarish to impossible.

Greetings,

Manuel

Are we talking about the same Q-Bert game? ;)

My fault, I only thought about green vs the platform color(s).

Still, the problem with the above mockup remains. The timings are probably impossible (like you said above) and/or the addtional color writes cost too much CPU time.

Why are the shadows on the cube so F'ed up anyways?

Some are on the right...some on the left.

I'm sure there's a reason.... right?

Without checking the code, I suppose it has to do with using the reflected PF mode, resulting in far less neccessary PF writes/scanline.

Probably this compromise was necessary to get enough free CPU time for other stuff.

Hi there!

Man, I am loving the art style on that second mockup. Really gorgeous.- Adam

The second would be almost programmable if the blocks where 6 PF bits wide instead of 5.

The problem here is that you can change colors only every three pixels, so you can do a precise color change between two PF bits only for every 3rd, 6th, 9th... PF bit.

Other than this, the PF display would be easy, as the design only has two color change areas per scannline, which are widely seperated...

Still, with 6 PF writes and 4 possible color changes, you've alredy used up most/all of the programming cycles for a scanline. And a 2LK doesn't help either, as the PF writes and color changes would have to be repeated for each line, since it's not mirrored.

The original 2600 Q-Bert design, while not perfect, is IMHO an excellent and working compromise...

Greetings,

Manuel

• 3 weeks later...

I like those mockups, too. The alternate perspectives are a clever workaround.

The existing Q*Bert playfield isn't too bad, all things considered. What really bugs me is the playability issues, like way the bad guys appear and disappear rather than actually moving. It results in a lot of unnecessary deaths.

I just tried the much rarer 2600 version of Q*Bert's Qubes. The gameplay is a lot smoother, though that may be related to differences between what's required to be onscreen at the same time. The playfield layout is completely different, of course, but is there any chance Qubes could be hacked into an improved implementation of the original Q*Bert?

How about Santa delivering to houses on a mountian side? He uses his sleigh to escape from the baddies who want to ruin christmas? I spaced the houses at 6 PF pixel intervals so that they are 24 pixels from start to start. 24/3 = 8 cycles between rooftops to change the PF color.

post-2784-1103232827.jpg

• 3 months later...

:) Just found this thread last night. Couldn't resist the challenge. I picked a scanline from the Santa mock-up that looked like a worst-case scenario.

lda #%11110111;2
                  sta PF1      ;5
                  lda #%00001110;7
                  sta PF2      ;10
                  lda #$00     ;12
                  sta COLUBK   ;15; make background black
                  ldx #$3a     ;17; orange
                  ldy #$c3     ;20; green
                  SLEEP 4      ;24 
                  stx COLUPF   ;27; make PF orange
                  lda #%00010000
                  sta PF0