IGNORED

2600 Emulation on GBA!

NE146

Looks like this guy's got competition.

http://www.otakunozoku.com/gbavcs/index.html

Hey, Russ... didn't you say in 2600 Connection that there was some guy who wanted to distribute or sell a 2600 emulator for the Game Boy Advance? He couldn't use Otaku's so this new one might be the ticket.

JR

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Jess Ragan ]

Unfortunately Otaku hasn't updated that page in several months, so who knows what the current status is. It does look very promising, though, given his description of it and screenshots. I'm very much looking forward to shoving a ton of 2600 games on a GBA flash card (which I have for development) and being able to play them anywhere. Of course, this would be made even more enjoyable once a backlit Gameboy Advance is available.

..Al

TwoHeaded Software (www.2headed.com) is also working on an Atari 2600 emulator for the GBA machine. The tricky bit is not getting an emulator running, as there is already lots of source code available on the 'net to get you started. That's why the author of that emulator (gba.vg-network.com) can claim "2 hours work". The trick is to get any sort of decent speed; his emu is running way less than 0.1fps

Otaku's emulator appears to be very nice, and quite speedy, but currently uses hardware scaling to squash to the screen. This method is straightforward to implement, but ends up losing you some 40-50% of the screen lines, and IMHO looks crappy. Otaku hasn't released his emu publicly, so the screen shots are all that's currently known about it. Another alternative to hardware squishing is to allow scrolling over a larger screen, acceptable but a bit odd.

TwoHeaded has been concentrating on sophisticated caching systems to enable the emulator run as close to 60Hz as possible, whilst also supporting bilinear filtering. This allows the screen to be squashed in real time in software whilst keeping as much of the detail as possible. We're doing this project on a part-time basis, so no promises. But the future looks bright, and I'm sure that we will see excellent '2600 emulators on the GBA in the near future.

Cheers

A

• Like 1

Awesome! I dont have a GBA. But this might change my mind. Where are the ROMS stored? On a flash card/memory card? And how big (memory wise) are the cards? Is it possible that someone will get MAME running on the GBA?? Just think...100's of classic games in your pocket and at your finger-tips!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

TwoHeaded Software (www.2headed.com) is also working on an Atari 2600 emulator for the GBA machine.

[snip]

TwoHeaded has been concentrating on sophisticated caching systems to enable the emulator run as close to 60Hz as possible, whilst also supporting bilinear filtering.

Go on Andrew, I know you can do it

• 18 years later...
56 minutes ago, Some guy said:

What happened with the TwoHeaded Software Atari 2600 emulator for GBA?

Long dead I don't even have the source code anymore.

There were far better efforts out there than mine, and other issues too numerous to mention.

Was way-slow and barely worked.

The concept works, but no emulators were released. The Atari and Activision collection GBA games were as close as it got. They didn't provide a large selection of games, but they did prove it could be done. If I recall correctly, one of the members here did a lot of the work on the code for one of those. With the right forum search, you can probably find the thread.

Even the PSP, with it's more capable hardware, was only able to run an older version of Stella. While it supports many games, it can't run a lot of the homebrews I've tried. It does a really good job considering how old the emulators is.

Edited by RamrodHare
I can't spell.