IGNORED

Space Dungeon

Lord Thag

Anyone else here think this game rocks? I picked up a 5200 about a year ago and now have a nice library of games, but this one took me by surprise. It's kind of like berzerk crossed with venture, with a little robotron thrown in for fun. Good stuff. I just wish I had one of those dual joystic holders :(

Not sure what alot of these companies were thinking at the time ;)

WHAAAAT?!? While I've never played this conversion you speak of, I can't imagine Space Dungeon being better by taking the dual controller feature OUT of the game. You can move in one direction while shooting in another completely different direction: What's there not to love about that?

Well, the one thing I DON'T love about it is when your ship keeps moving right into an enemy because your stick doesn't exactly self-center to stop movement! Or it feels that way sometimes, anyway. Still, I'm glad they used a dual controller method. I wonder if it would improve the game to play it with two Wico sticks...

Lord Thag: Definitely try to hunt down that controller holder, or you could always make your own device to hold them in place.

When I got my first 5200 (I got one the very first units with the really thin rubber boots, damned things tore apart in 2 hours) I remember Space Dungeon being on my list of must haves and when it became available I picked it up and was amazed at the game, it really showed off how incredible the speed sensitive joysticks were on the 5200 and the dual joystick controls were great, that was a fantastic translation on the 5200.

Curt

The 800 conversion hack makes this game more fun IMHO since they took the dual controller requirement out -  

Not sure what alot of these companies were thinking at the time ;)

How on EARTH could you expect to play a decent game of SD with one stick?

Ahhh the annual "Space Dungeon rocks" thread ;) Yes indeed it does! :D I was lucky enough to get this for christmas one day in the early 80's and I still love it to this day. Who can resist the dungeon hopping and treasure collecting mixed in with Robotron control and action.

I actually hope to get the actual arcade version of it someday (I know someone who owns it.. just waiting for him to sell it :P)

Yeah, I know a guy who has a spare dual joystick holder. I'm trying to get in touch with him to work out a trade. I just picked up Robotron as well, so that makes it even more important. Just out of curiosity, what are you folks' high scores on this game?

Yeah, I know a guy who has a spare dual joystick holder. I'm trying to get in touch with him to work out a trade. I just picked up Robotron as well, so that makes it even more important. Just out of curiosity, what are you folks' high scores on this game?

Slightly OT - Speaking of Robotron, just in case people don't know it, the Atari 7800 version of Robotron works with both single and dual joysticks for gameplay, the holder design was made but never released for the 7800, too bad...

a 7800 version of Battlezone such as the XE version would've rocked!

Curt

Slightly OT - Speaking of Robotron, just in case people don't know it, the Atari 7800 version of Robotron works with both single and dual joysticks for gameplay, the holder design was made but never released for the 7800, too bad...

a 7800 version of Battlezone such as the XE version would've rocked!

Curt

Did anybody ever see one of these?

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got to play SD for the first time today thanks to this sweet catch I got off eBay that arrived today.

Well after playing the game for over a half hour or so I have to agree with the general consensus that this is among the best games for the 5200. The gameplay is very addicting, and my controls work pretty well for the game scheme. It's hard to imagine that it has 99 levels, you could really spend a lot of time on this game if you explored every level all the way through. Now I just need to get Robotron for the 5200 to also use my new handle with. 8)

• 5 weeks later...

It does have 99 levels, however it stops getting harder way before then (the hardware can only handle so much), so not really 99 levels of difficulty. My brother and I got there (one driving, one shooting). Once you pass level 99 it simply repeats level 99 again. We played level 99 a few times over to see if it'd do anything (crash, weird score, etc), but it just kept on as normal. To get this high we just went straight for the exit every time. Along the way we got plenty of treasure to stay alive.. I'm almost positive we had more than the 5 shown lives when we got to level 99. No idea what the final score was, didn't write it down.. since it was a 2 player effort, I guess it wouldn't count anyways.

calamari