IGNORED

ROMS for Haunted House II and Combat II

Mock

ah...i thought he posted them in a tread saying they were discontinued and would never be sold again...tried to find the post but search was pulling up all kinds of crazy search.

thanks...i'd like to have them to play on the emu...lol. :ponder:

Actually all that seemed to be was a good bit of marketing to boost sales. Both games were still for sale at the same website for quite a while after the announcement, and HH2 still is for sale. I can't say I blame him for not releasing the rom(s), but if more people could try the games I bet more would buy them...

• Like 1

Hi there!

I can't say I blame him for not releasing the rom(s),  but if more people could try the games I bet more would buy them...

Depends on the games, eh? I always tend to think that some are hiding their ROMs for good reason :lol:

Greetings,

Manuel

LMAO

You're right probably to some degree, but I think alot of authors have that No one will buy the cow when they can get the milk for free syndrome. With Cuttle Carts & modded Superchargers, MaxiCarts, the new Krokodile cart that's coming out soon, I think it makes it that much harder on the homebrewers to make something that people will want to buy. I'm sure there's probably a large precentage of people who are content just playing the romz on their Atari thru one of the many tools that have come out. And for the people who don't own one of these tools, there's the Stelladaptor which gets that Atari feel to playing the emus. So

I believe there are most likely people who may be on the fence, and would purchase after having the option of playing the rom before hand.

There's an equal number of people who may decide to pass on a game once playing the rom, should they be given the chance.

(I think these probably balance out, really it goes back to what you hint at. If the game turns out to be dog poo not many will buy ;)

There are also however, a number of people who most likely won't buy. But like the milk for free, so they wait & wait, hoping for the rom. (these could be future sales, if the rom is not released & the grow tired of waiting)

End the end, I think by releasing the rom, more people can try the game, and then make a decision on whether or not to make a purchase. & the sells would go up slightly. But there will also be a number of people who after having the rom may decide just to pass on buying & simply keep the rom instead. Some what depends on the strength of the game in question, but still I think some people are cheap in this hobbie, looking for cheap games, can't go much lower than free.

i think that in that other thread they said the existing copies were all that were left....they were not making any more...i doubt it was a ploy to make more sales....both are very good games...i am just setting up an emu box...would be nice to have them for that...but no biggie if not.

• 14 years later...
On 11/26/2004 at 11:39 PM, ziggystar said:

It was not a ploy to boost sales. They are truly discontinued, and the ROM will NOT be released. And should NOT be released by anyone else. I can say no more on the subject.

I just learned about the existence of that game and wondered if there's any chance for that to change?

The programmer who created Klax on the 5200 recently announced himself on Facebook as its creator. I forget which Atari group it was in. 

It would be nice to have these options available again.  There's also folks who buy the cartridges and boxes for display but then use ROMs on their actual hardware via the likes of the AtariMax SD Adapter. [not to mention all of the people who play using emulators].

Modern "Atari" wouldn't have been the company complaining about Klax. That would be WB Games since Klax was by Atari Games Corp/Tengen/Time Warner Interactive which was merged into WMS Industries/Midway and once again is owned by Time Warner/Warner Media's WB Games division. The kicker being AT&T now owns Time Warner. Amusing since in the early 1980s, there were extremely wishful-thinking rumors that Atari Inc was going to buy AT&T.

I'd like to play Klax on the 5200. Loved it on the Lynx, loved it on the Sega Genesis [Tengen's version on the NES is also good], and I love playing the arcade ROM in the Midway Collection on my Sony PSP. I haven't had the pleasure of playing it on the Atari ST or the unreleased/incomplete 7800 version as of yet...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 5:45 PM, Mitch said:

I might consider selling my boxed copies if the price was right.

Mitch

I was looking at a video of Haunted House 3D, but I couldn't tell what was going on. Looked like the protagonist was going through walls and ceilings...everything but the door on the back wall.

21 minutes ago, Goochman said:

I appreciated the effort on HH2, but honestly did not find the game very fun and sold it.  Maybe I didnt give it enough time to play it, but wasnt very polished IMHO.

The graphics are done well, but as was stated, they openings you see aren't where the actual 'door's between rooms reside. So if anything you just have to memorize the map layouts. Also, it is very strict about controllers. My 5200 is factory calibrated and every other game I play on it to include, Popeye, Kangaroo, Gyruss, and Bounty Bob all control as they should. Pop this game in, and I'm fighting the controls the whole time to move right and left. 

I should pop that cart back in again soon to give it another go. I believe I was only able to complete the easiest level once.