IGNORED

nintendo DS

nights

As much as I'd LIKE to see the PSP fail, I doubt that it actually will. Of course, then again, judging from current sales figures, the Game Boy Advance just might outsell both the PSP AND the Nintendo DS. The winner of the next generation handheld wars may end up being last generation's handheld.

JR

DS will rule all and i think the PSP mite bern out in america. what do you think :P

I don't think the PSP will "bern out". I think it will draw in more portable gamers who owned a Playstation2 or a regular Playstation or people who want more games that are targeted for their age (I am not attacking Nintendo). I hope both will do good because I don't like seeing any flops. I am going to get a PSP since it has a lot of games that I like. Then when the DS goes down in price I will buy it since it has some (not many but thats just now anyway) games I would like and I would love to get my hands on Super Mario 64 DS.

I bought the DS at launch and so far I'm not impressed. I played Mario 64 and Feel The Magic. I hated Mario and I thought Magic was fun but way too short. I'm gonna try Mr. Driller next but I really don't see how they can improve on it other than adding the extra screen.

Software wise, the DS had the weakest launch of any system I've ever seen. Maybe when some more games come out, I'll get into the DS more.

Sew?  Wat does that eqat to exacly? Ooh pritty me like!  Grafix meen nothin.

First everybody go to http://www.dictionary.com.

Second if graphics meant nothing then nobody would have upgraded from the 2600. No graphics don't make a game great but they can make a good game better. If Halo came out looking like Doom or Mario 64 looked like Donkey Kong then neither would have garnered the amount of accolades that they have. If you think otherwise then I feel sorry for you. And from a stricly sales point of view graphics are a BIG draw. Night Trap for the Sega CD was sure impressive graphically for it's time. How many copies of that turd flew off the shelves?

To answer the first poster's question - I think the PSP will sell very well in America. Most people here have a pretty good recognition of the Sony brand name and most of it's products are successful here. No I'm not some Sony loyalist, I think the only things I own from them are an old walkman cassette player and a PS1. Even though it looks ohh so sexy I'll have to wait a year or so before picking up a PSP, which will probably still be selling quite well. I also think the DS will sell very well as well. I'm sure that built in instant mesenger thing is the cool new way to pass notes in class.

I bought the DS at launch and so far I'm not impressed. I played Mario 64 and Feel The Magic. I hated Mario and I thought Magic was fun but way too short. I'm gonna try Mr. Driller next but I really don't see how they can improve on it other than adding the extra screen.

Software wise, the DS had the weakest launch of any system I've ever seen. Maybe when some more games come out, I'll get into the DS more.

Oh come on, worse than the Saturn or the N64?

Saturn's launch titles: Virtua Fighter, Clockwork Knight, Bug.. was there anything else?

The N64 launched with only TWO titles: Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.

The SNES launched with only like six, Mario World, Sim City, F-Zero, Gradius III, Ultraman and Final Fight. Okay, five of those games are actually prerry good. Never mind that one. :P

I guess I'm the only person on earth who was not impressed in the least by Mario 64. By far the most overrated game of all time. Worse than Halo, even.

I disagree, the N64 was a VERY WEAK launch. 2 lousy games. Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. At least there is a handfull of dedicated launch games (not including the Advance games it already has the capability to play.

Software wise, the DS had the weakest launch of any system I've ever seen.

I'm sure that it was pushed out the door slightly prematurely in order to

1) catch the 2004 holiday season

2) beat the PSP to the shelves

Still, everything that I've seen of this system looks really impressive. I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon. I'm sure that as the months roll on there will be a lot of great titles to follow.

I guess I'm the only person on earth who was not impressed in the least by Mario 64. By far the most overrated game of all time. Worse than Halo, even.

Amen, brother. I tried playing Mario 64 DS for a week straight and hated every bit of it. Thought the control was awful on the DS....just didn't seem right playing a 3D game without a analog stick. This made it even harder for me to time my jumps right. Pure aggravation.

(okay, maybe the DS wasn't the worst launch ever but you gotta admit the game line-up isn't that good.)

I like the idea of a touch screen in theory but the DS just leaves me cold right now. Nintendo are still marketing for people who care about their franchises. I see the skill that's gone into making them, but I just can't enthuse about Mario games.

Oh, God. Please no!! Not another one!

When PC-Famicom64 showed up at Digital Press, I thanked God that there was no equivalent at AtariAge...

PC-Famicom64 is a 14-year-old English speaking American who can't even spell the smallest and simplest of words. A Forum posters worst nightmare. The world needs less of these. (At first, we figured he was from another country... then he revealed the truth.)

Translation fun:

"I sod that Nintendo will do the ani-na-may-sin fore Pocket Monsters and Tottoko Hamutaro sune."

"I'm good,Thinks,And I meant "can we can git back on toppik?""

Me: "I think it's weird how you spell things Fo-eh-net-ic-lee. Where are you from, anyway?"

PC: "The US.(Sroey I got bad Speling)"

Me: "May I ask how old you are?"

PC: "14.(Sorey it's just that most of you guys ar over 18.)"

Needless to say, it makes our heads spin.

By the way, did we really need another DS thread? (DP had to actually create a whole forum to contain theirs.)

Every system launches poorly.  But come on, its not like the DS is the Virtual Boy... it's got tons of games coming and has an existing library of hundreds of GBA games.  Plus you can play imports on it as well.  It'll be fine.  Everyone just breathe.  :)

I'm not saying the DS is a poor system. I'm just saying that the games available for it right now aren't that good. I've had it since launch and I've been using it mostly for playing GBA games so far.

(and don't knock the Virtual Boy! It's a great system and I own every game made for it. :P )