IGNORED

the box for the Atari 32 in 1 cart.

Joel D. Park

AFAIK, all 2600 Jr's in the US were shipped with that style of joystick. It's definitely not a 7800 controller -- it is a VCS controller, and is commonly refered to as a "Proline" series joystick.

I think I have a few in my storage unit -- and all of them were found in the USA.

AFAIK, all 2600 Jr's in the US were shipped with that style of joystick. It's definitely not a 7800 controller -- it is a VCS controller, and is commonly refered to as a "Proline" series joystick.

Are you sure? All of the US JRs I've seen came with the standard black 2600 controller. However, the Proline joystick is the standard 7800 joystick.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

Are you sure? All of the US JRs I've seen came with the standard black 2600 controller. However, the Proline joystick
is
the standard 7800 joystick.

I don't have an original boxed US Jr to back me up, but I know I've seen them that way plenty of times before.

The 7800 and 2600 Proline joysticks differ, too. The 7800 version has "Atari 7800" printed on the top of the grip. The 2600 version does not (or maybe its the other way around -- but I am fairly sure they differ in some similar fashion).

I don't have an original boxed US Jr to back me up, but I know I've seen them that way plenty of times before.

OK, I'm willing to take your word for it.

quote:

The 7800 and 2600 Proline joysticks differ, too. The 7800 version has "Atari 7800" printed on the top of the grip. The 2600 version does not (or maybe its the other way around -- but I am fairly sure they differ in some similar fashion).

I know that the Prolines that came with the 7800 don't have "7800" on them. And I have never seen one that said 2600 on it. Has anyone else seen one? It doesn't seem to make sense that Atari would make different Proline controllers when all the ones I've seen work fine on both systems.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

AFAIK,
all
2600 Jr's in the US were shipped with that style of joystick. It's definitely
not
a 7800 controller -- it is a VCS controller, and is commonly refered to as a
"Proline"
series joystick.

I don't think "all" jr's came with those. I do remember getting one new back about the same time as I got the NES with Legend of Zelda (about Christmas '87) and the pack in controller is a standard issue joystick. Maybe Jrs were packed in differently at one time, like the changes in manual design and quality over time?

interesting, I don't personally own a 7800 yet (I'll attempt to rectify that this weekend) so if someone can have a go with one of these proline sticks on their system and let me know if the 2 buttons actually do different things, I'd be grateful.

On my 2600 both buttons just act the same, so I naturally assumed they were wired together

Well I hated the Atari Jr...(Altho I do have one)....I got it used and dont recall in the stores what joystick came with it altho I always thought it came with standard joysticks...But that 2600 Jr box in the pic sure looks like it has a pro-stick attached to it.

In Europe the 7800 came with the Atari joypads. The 2600 Jr. first came with the proline joysticks and later with the joypads too. Both controller types offer two button support on the 7800, while both buttons do the same function when used on the 2600.

In the USA the 7800 must have come with the proline joysticks. You can see it in the movie "In country" with Bruce Willis and Emelie Lloyd. In one scene you can see Bruce's character lying on the couch and playing the 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man with a proline joystick. He is even playing it with one hand only, since he is holding a beer can in the other hand.

And somewhere on the web I saw a scan of an US advertisement for the 2600. It said something like "2600: It doesn't get older - it gets better". This advertisement shows the "small rainbow" 2600 Jr. toghether with the old style joystick, so maybe a package like that was available at one time.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg