IGNORED

Gameboy

Atarifever

• 2 months later...

I agree that the original game boy was definitely the worst handheld in the early 90's. My favorites were turbo express and sega nomad which were great because they were 16 bit and you didnt have to buy extra games for them,after that the lynx and game gear were both decent portables although they did eat large amounts of batteries,i still play all of those systems from time to time but the game boy just plain sucked and i havnt touched it since i was 12

Why did the Lynx not succeed against GameBoy?

Letsee:

GameBoy came bundled with Tetris

GameBoy cost a lot less (IIRC $99 compared to $179 for the Lynx initially)

GameBoy was made by Nintendo and Nintendo was what ruled in the day

GameBoy had far, far, far better support from 3rd parties

GameBoy was widely available in the fall of 1989

GameBoy was small

GameBoy had long-lasting battery life.

GameBoy was advertised REALLY heavily

GameBoy was launched when Nintendo's bully tactics were still in force.

GameBoy had Nintendo games.

There's 10.

Why did the Lynx not succeed against GameBoy?

Letsee:

GameBoy came bundled with Tetris

GameBoy cost a lot less (IIRC $99 compared to $179 for the Lynx initially)

GameBoy was made by Nintendo and Nintendo was what ruled in the day

GameBoy had far, far, far better support from 3rd parties

GameBoy was widely available in the fall of 1989

GameBoy was small

GameBoy had long-lasting battery life.

GameBoy was advertised REALLY heavily

GameBoy was launched when Nintendo's bully tactics were still in force.  

GameBoy had Nintendo games.  

There's 10.

Darn you took mine. Though I would add that it had more quality titles as well.

GAMEBOY IS NO GOOD,

I got a gameboy and a lynx, hate the gameboy.... under all conditions it's almost unplayable, because of it's badscreen.

I got the gameboy for free, well I know why, awful thing, and I bought oddworld for it. Playability is quite good, only it's almost impossible to see.

My nephews have gbc and gba, and now an gbasp, and only the sp is nice enough to play, because it has backlight.....

BTW a gamegear is coming, can't wait to see the difference between a lynx and a gamegear.

Lynx has plenty of quality titles.

You play California Games and tell me it sucks.

When you say, "Wow, that's awesome," I'll give you about 40 or so other games, and you'll have the same response.

He didn't say the Lynx didn't have quality titles. He said the GameBoy had more. And with a library of several hundred GameBoy games and many, many, many developers making GameBoy titles, I have to agree.

Hi folks !

I don't usually read any forums except for the Jag forum, but I thought I'd share my opinion on this as well, even though I'm not much of a handheld fan. :D

The Lynx, Gamegear and Turbo Express were great systems when it came to the specs and each had some great games.

However the gameboy wasn't bad at all in my opinion.

Especially chris_lynx made it sound like nintendo just did junk when it comes to handhelds. The exact opposite is the truth though.

Gameboy was the most successful handheld of all time and that didn't happen because of powerful hardware, but cleverly designed hardware that was best suited exactly for the purpose of a handheld. It was compact and it had enormous battery life. The system was also cheaper to manufacture. The main reason for its success however were the countless great games for it. I mean, how many GB games are there in total? It must be thousands. It also has a lot of great exclusive titles.

The GBA was a quantumleap in handheld systems though, it even powerful enough for simple 3D games and it has tons of great games.

The Nintendo DS doesn't have many games yet, but I am sure Nintendo will again prove that great games are more important than just great hardware.

About the size comparasions I can just agree. The Lynx 1 and 2 are definately quite big and heavy compared to gameboy and it's not really usable by smaller children. I am talking about children of about 6 years or less. A lot of them carry GBs or GBAs with them when they travel if you ever noticed. And certainly the cost question and battery life is very important as well. The most annoying thing about the lynx for me personally actually was the screen and the short battery life.

While the GB was by far not as powerful as the lynx, it was cheaper, more compact, lighter, I never had any problems with the GB screen, a much better battery life and tons of great games.

I don't want to bash any of the systems as each of them is good in a way and personally it doesn't really matter to me which system won, as I'm not that interested in handheld systems, but I think it's really obvious why the GB was the winner.

It simply was superior where it mattered for a handheld. Not in specs, but in almost every other aspect, like the ones mentioned already.

Regards, Lars.

getting back on topic, the gbc is imo a great little handheld system, although i only really played smb on it! i still play mine from time to time, but id admit that the gbc library is a bit poor, where as the lynx library is something i would personally go for with games like robotron, crystal caverns, joust and ninja gaiden being my personal favourites.

I think in the end its what games are out for the system, and what the average person enjoys playing.

I had a GB before I had a Lynx and I have to admit some of the games were very fun and nice conversions from their NES counterparts. Gradius and Castlevania were two that I had owned and they were both nice interpretations. Metroid II was another fantastic title.

In comparison, I suppose Lynx had Gates of Zendicon, which was as good as Gradius if not better. But what did the Lynx have that could compete with Castlvania and Metroid II? Not much. And those are only 2 of the hundreds of titles!

I've just got a gameboy advance sp complete with doom wolfenstein sim city and metal slug after many weeks of playing these games I'm thinking it doesn't have a lot to recommend it over the lynx, Sure it is small and the rechargable battery is a good idea but overall it doesn't really outshine the lynx I know I will probably upset peple that play the likes of maroi and pokemon etc on the thing but I'm just not interested in anime or tv show type games so for the stuff I do play the lynx will do me fine

Lynx has plenty of quality titles.

You play California Games and tell me it sucks.

When you say' date=' "Wow, that's awesome," I'll give you about 40 or so other games, and you'll have the same response.[/quote']

He didn't say the Lynx didn't have quality titles. He said the GameBoy had more. And with a library of several hundred GameBoy games and many, many, many developers making GameBoy titles, I have to agree.

Yep. Anyone who got the impression that I said the Lynx didn't have quality titles is taking what I said outa context hardcore.

Besides, I can list more the forty awesome titles for the GB. :D

a

Americans always want everything big, they think big is better. like their cars. they dont like to drive small cars.

Hey, I'm an American, and I drive a small car. I prefer my GBA over my LYNX for the same reason, it's smaller. Not to say that I dislike the LYNX in any way.

-S

Stop wining about the mini, euh the gameboy(joke).

first:

It is bad.

I have one, I hate it.

I played it once.

I bought oddworld for it, I hate it, but I love oddworld on the psx.

I have a racegame, I hate it, and the other game I have too.

I sold two games, because I hated them.

I have a gameboy to show how it sucks against my Lynx.

I have a gameboy for the hits Tetris and supermario, the gamehits.

Second:

I have a gamegear.

I like the games, but hate the console, what a crappy thing.

The reason why I bought it?

let's see (I still got to buy them) : Outrun, Ecco the dolphin, sonic, columns (I have already) , and some others.

Can somebody lock this, before I spend more energy about these piles of rubbish........ Help dunno if I make it downstairs, I need A drink...