IGNORED

My Publishing Website Underway...

Junie

I am working on my website for my Atari 2600 publishing services. No, currently I am not taking orders of any kind, sorry.

I simply am wanting any suggestions or complaints about the website. If you make a complaint be sure to mention how you think the problem can be fixed.

E-mail me at junies_c@yahoo.com

View my website Junies Creations. Currently just the Homepage is complete, I plan to add the rest of the pages/site shortly.

I am waiting on feedback before I continue. It is easy to change things now then later

No suggestions but I do have a question, you have this quote on your site:

"We do not produce anything that you do not personally own the copyright to. "

If someone were to do a game based off another game, for instance, a game based off of Adventure. Only with All new maps and graphics??

Would you concider something like that??

You shouldn't make the links on the left "live" until they actually are.

Also, the center column should be set to expand or contract. On my computer it takes up a ludicrously small part of the screen.

Other than that and a few syntax problems I'm sure you'll fix (i.e. "We a complete service Atari 2600 Video Game Publisher."), it looks good.

Something you might want to consider is positioning youself as a "manufacturer" and not as a "publisher" or at least give people the option. As a publisher, you would be responsible for just about everything; packaging, artwork, etc. As a manufacturer, a creator (who is in this scenario also the publisher) could provide you with all the materials and you just assemble the stuff. Due credit would be given, of course, but it's a different service.

Anyway, good luck to you.

"If someone were to do a game based off another game, for instance, a game based off of Adventure. Only with All new maps and graphics??

Would you concider something like that??"

------------------------------------------

In short the answer is yes. Here is the new updated text..

No, we do not provide services for any Atari 2600 game that you are not the author of. If you do a "hack" of a game with at least all new game graphics, we will provide services for such a game-- As long as the original game author does not object, this usually only applies to other "Homebrewed" games.

Check out our Links & Resources for someone who will produce your game if our services are not available to you.

Also, the center column should be set to expand or contract. On my computer it takes up a ludicrously small part of the screen.

Currently I have to use a 640 x 480 monitor, due to my old video card. So I really can't design the website for a larger resolution until later.

What screen size are you using? A 17" monitor or larger?

Other than that and a few syntax problems I'm sure you'll fix (i.e. "We a complete service Atari 2600 Video Game Publisher."), it looks good.

These problems have been now fixed, at least that I can see

Something you might want to consider is positioning youself as a "manufacturer" and not as a "publisher" or at least give people the option.

Everyone does have the option, apperently I just didn't make this clear enough.

For example here is the text from the site..

You can choose to use our complete services or as many services as you want, you decide. For example if you only want PCB's you can order just PCB's.

There a GIANT BUG on your site.....

Looks good thus far. There's a LOT of white on the screen though. How about a different background color? Something less stark?

Yeah, with my business name Junie I thought that using a June Bug/Japanese Beetle made the most sense for a company logo. I have been using a June Bug/Japanese Beetle in one form or another since I started my business early last year.

What background color would you suggest?

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Currently I have to use a 640 x 480 monitor, due to my old video card. So I really can't design the website for a larger resolution until later.

What screen size are you using? A 17" monitor or larger?

That's not your monitor size, it's your resolution, although a common one. I always use 1024x768. And, yes, my monitor(s) are 17".

You should be able to set the colums to expand as the window expands so that even if a window is not set to the maximum size it allows the page to "breathe" so to speak.

The way it is, if I resize the window to half my monitor size the text gets cut off. If you allow the page to "breathe" then it would adjust accordingly and still be readable at any resolution or window size.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

That's not your monitor size, it's your
resolution
, although a common one. I always use 1024x768. And, yes, my monitor(s) are 17".

You should be able to set the colums to expand as the window expands so that even if a window is not set to the maximum size it allows the page to "breathe" so to speak.

The way it is, if I resize the window to half my monitor size the text gets cut off. If you allow the page to "breathe" then it would adjust accordingly and still be readable at any resolution or window size.

Yes I know that 640 x 480 is not my monitor size, nobody measures monitor size by pixels (just the resolution) they use inches. The monitor itself is a 15" monitor.

As far as allowing my website to adjust for resolution the images and everything are a specific pixel size. Setting the page up for percentages of a window size will change the entire look of the site and without having a larger resolution size currently, I can not see if the end result is favorable.

Overall I am not worried about it, most people and websites use 800 x 600 resolution, and I know my website "look" doesn't vary that much for that resolution size. When I get a better video card, I will adjust the website to fit the 800 x 600 resolution better. Which in turn will make the website not as ludicrously small.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Junie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Overall I am not worried about it, most people and websites use 800 x 600 resolution, and I know my website "look" doesn't vary that much for that resolution size.

Hey, man, it's all good. Just nitpicking.

Ask anyone, I'm anal. It's one of my defining characteristics.

Well, if I understood his response to my earlier "manufacturer" vs. "publisher" point, I think it's like this:

He'll do as much or as little as the creator of the game wants. If they just want to send him a binary, he'll get the art done, make labels, box, docs, slap it all together and sell the thing. In this case, he would be the "publisher" and (in this limited market) undoubtedly the "distributor" as well.

If the creator himself wants to "publish" and "distribute" the game, Junie will only make the carts and ship 'em out to him. In this cas he is only the "manufacturer."

And he'll do any level of support in between.

Yes?

No?

Close?

Far?

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

Hey, man, it's all good. Just nitpicking.

Ask anyone, I'm anal. It's one of my defining characteristics.

No problem, someone has to ruffle feathers, at least I know who does-- so I won't take serious

I have however updated the website, it should like fine in any resolution Everyone let me know how it looks and state your resolution size.

I also changed the background colors, let me know what you think.

I think Infogames does own Atari now, thanks Atarinvader for the tip.

Ok, here is how my services work. A game author wants their game created, I create it and ship them the games.

Now here is where I am also open to suggestions, do game authors want the games shipped to them to sell, or would they rather I sell them and send them their profit from the sale?

No matter where the finished game goes, everyone has to pay up front for the services. There is no way I can pay to get 200 copies of a complete finished game made.

So if the game author wants 200 games created and for me to sell them, then that's fine but payment must be up front. I can not get the labels, manuals, and boxes printed one at a time when I sell one.

I could sell the games on my website and various other means. For example selling the games at Trade shows, Flea Markets, etc. I will have to charge a small fee per game though for selling it, to help cover everything.

If game authors actually use my services I plan to do a booth at all the Classic game shows. For example the CiniClassic, PhillyClassic, and all the others-- currently unknown I plan to do this to attract more game authors and perhaps to sell the completed games as well.

Putting the completed games in actual stores is a real goal. I highly doubt anything like Wal-Mart, K-mart, or anything but perhaps small stores everywhere. Like on consignment or something.

As far as compitetion between me an Hozer Video, yes of course there will be intented or not.

Hozer Video will still corner the market on getting "copies" of original games, I do not do that.

I do plan though instead of Homebrewers talking about Hozer Video making their games, I will be the way to go. If you take a look at simply what I offer as far as a finished product there is no compitetion for me by Hozer Video, I do everything by proffesional printing services using Offset printing. Not to mention game boxes, shrink wrapping, printed manuals, hopefully soon new game cases, etc.

So if anyone has any ideas about anything mentioned, especially by Homebrewers, let me know.

Hopefully my services will add a much more collectable realm to the games(Having to worry about game boxes, manuals, still shrink wrapped games, etc. ), and make Homebrewed games more common.

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

flash content

Isn't that illegal??

Junie, you are doing an incredible thing here. I applaud your efforts. Considering the wealth of services you are already providing, whether or not YOU are the distributor as well is entirely up to you. But a couple of things to think about:

1. How much will your distibution add to the overall cost of a job?

2. This is an awful lot to ask of just yourself. Will you have other employees (ie your other post for designers)? How would you offset the salary of those employees?

Distribution is a WHOLE other kettle of fish. It will require lots of extra hours. I am really excited about your new endeavor, just don't overdo, otherwise you'll run youself ragged and stop having fun. You are already offering a TON of great services, I say only distribute if you really want to.

Cautious Stan

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

Junie, you are doing an incredible thing here. I applaud your efforts. Considering the wealth of services you are already providing, whether or not YOU are the distributor as well is entirely up to you. But a couple of things to think about:

1. How much will your distibution add to the overall cost of a job?

2. This is an awful lot to ask of just yourself. Will you have other employees (ie your other post for designers)? How would you offset the salary of those employees?

Distribution is a WHOLE other kettle of fish. It will require lots of extra hours. I am really excited about your new endeavor, just don't overdo, otherwise you'll run youself ragged and stop having fun. You are already offering a TON of great services, I say only distribute if you really want to.

Cautious Stan

The cost added for distibution will be per cart. I am really not sure how much this will add to a cart, it all depends on exactly how I plan to setup everything to sell.

Of course the cost will be lowered when there are mulitple games, etc. Selling games will of course draw more attention to my services so that will be good for business so I hope to make the cost added per cart for selling it very small.

If I had to make I guess I would say something like $0.25 a cart, but at first I will only be selling on my website so that will cost nothing.

Hopefully I can get the price to remain nothing for selling it no matter the way I sell it, but don't count on it.

Now for question 2. Legally no, I do not and will not have any employees.

I do have however people that I get everything done through and pay them on the spot. It would simply be concidered something like buying products from someone, which is not of course a employee.

Here is how it is setup so far...

I have 2 people I buy the new custom PCB's from,

2 people who actually program/burn the EPROM's (One of which his the same person I get the PCB's from),

Counting me 2 people to do the soldering (the other is the same who programs/burns EPROM's and sells PCB's),

1 person who can make the new game cases when I get the Master Cam 7 code or molds (If all else fails I have a few plastic companies who will do it)

Currently 5 people who will design the nessacary images for the game authors

A business locally that does the printing, if need be several others as well

Several people for consulting about anything, usually they also hold one of the above jobs as well Not mention everyone here at the message board that responds to my posts, many thanks.

I do the assembly of the games and do the shrink wrapping and whatever else. I also do the website, sales, shipping, etc. Of course my wife will help out, but she doesn't get paid. After all whatever is my profit is her profit

Well that pretty much sums up my "Team" at the moment. Everyone who helps in one way or another involved with manufacturing the products, basically, gets listed as part of the "Team" for that game and gets their name and what they did listed in all the game manuals and boxes.

This will allow everyone to know who actually did what. For example if you wanted to know who the label artist was for a Atari game you may never know, that information isn't common knowledge.

The names and everything will appear on the back of the boxes and inside the front cover of the manuals, like you would expect to see the publisher etc. in a book.

Here is how payment is done, everyone gets paid direct for their products, the image designers get a free copy of the completed game, and others simply get their name listed as part of the "Team".

As far as running myself ragged, if that point does come I will simply get more people to become part of the "Team" and take over the part that runs me ragged.

The links on my website are hooked-up now, except the Project Estimator-- I have to create the Perl program still.

Many of the pages are now actually completed as well.

If you have a 800 x 600 resolution or larger, please take a look at my website and let me know how it looks.

Junie-

Your page totally crashes Netscape 4.x on the Mac about 95% of the time for me. It happens so instantaneously as the page starts to load, it makes me think its something in the HEAD section of the html code -- or possibly that banner ad at the top of the page.

Anyhow, it works great in IE. Looking good, I just thought you'd like to know.

Junie-

OK, I figured out what the problem is...

The "Prohosting" banner uses iFrames, which unfortunately aren't supported in 4.x browsers. For some reason, it particularly affects Mac browsers adversely -- it totally kills Netscape as I said in my last post.

Is there any way to rid the site of that banner (that wouldn't cost any money, that is...)? That'd be what I'd try as my #1 solution (that is, if you decide it needs a solution in the first place).

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

Junie-

OK, I figured out what the problem is...

The "Prohosting" banner uses iFrames, which unfortunately aren't supported in 4.x browsers. For some reason, it particularly affects Mac browsers adversely -- it totally kills Netscape as I said in my last post.

Is there any way to rid the site of that banner (that wouldn't cost any money, that is...)? That'd be what I'd try as my #1 solution (that is, if you decide it needs a solution in the first place).

There is no way to get rid of those banners. The only way to do it is to pay them $25 a month and my website will be moved to another site their "Prohosting" instead of "Free Prohosting" and etc.

I also looked to see if there was any other way to do something about the banners, for instance change them to pop-ups or something and there isn't. They automatically add them to my pages and there is no way around it.

Yes, I would like to solve the problem. If someone wants my services and uses a Netscape 4.x they can't.

Well I can move to another free site maybe. Anyone have any suggestions? I need to have CGI-BIN access to run Perl scripts, for example the Project Estimator.

I will later get paid hosting through Hypermart, at least that's the plan. For now I am kinda stuck, I don't know anyone who offers websites with 25 MB, though 10 MB of space would probably work, and of course CGI-BIN access.

If you're not using any scripting languages on your page, you can "trick" the hosting company by adding a NOSCRIPT tag after the final closing HTML tag on each of your pages. This will kill the script that adds the popup code to your html document as it is loaded. I don't know if I'd recommend doing this, though -- hosts don't usually look too kindly on it.

Being noone else has commented on it seems to indicate that it is only a Mac/Netscape 4.x issue anyhow, so you won't be losing too many viewers (not enough to make it worth $25 per month at least), but I had to mention it due to my Mac advocacy viewpoints.

Do you get any free web space through your ISP? That's usually a great way to go if possible. I'm hosting ULTRAtwit.com that way. For $25 per month, not only do I get my internet access, but my domain hosted with 25Mb of disk space, complete UNIX shell access, support for CGI-BIN (and tons of other nifty little goodies), plus superb customer service. Hell, all this is only $5 per month more than most major ISPs, plus great connectivity and minimal downtime.

(BTW -- my ISP is Visi.com)

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

Do you get any free web space through your ISP? That's usually a great way to go if possible. I'm hosting
that way. For $25 per month, not only do I get my internet access, but my domain hosted with 25Mb of disk space, complete UNIX shell access, support for CGI-BIN (and tons of other nifty little goodies), plus superb customer service. Hell, all this is only $5 per month more than most major ISPs, plus great connectivity and minimal downtime.

(BTW -- my ISP is
)

I get free Internet access from my dad at the moment, it's lousy AOL..

They don't offer CGI-BIN access or anything.