IGNORED

Crazy Balloon Public Relase

Cybergoth

Hi there!

Edited 21.06.2005:

Here comes the public beta version of Crazy Balloon!

crazy.gif

Well, it's not 100% the version I wanted to have ready for the public beta release, but very close.

I'm releasing it now, since

- this discussion just bubbled to the top anyway

- I'm moving this weekend and I've no clue when I have my equipment ready again...

This version is pretty much the OVGE one, I just added a few SFX since.

Keep in mind that emulators will start the game in the (B)eginners mode. Switch it to A for (A)rcade difficulty

Looking forward to YOUR feedback!

(...especially if you're playing on real hardware...)

Greetings,

Manuel

crazy.zip

Yup, here it comes. A first (even playable!) demo of Crazy Balloon!

Cool!

It looks great so far! I really stink at this sort of game! :lol:

There is a Gameboy Advance game that plays like a mix of Crazy Balloon and Marble Craze called Kuru Kururin. Instead of a balloon, you control a spinning line (spaceship) to the end of a maze.

Hi there!

could this be any harder!  Sheesh!  I can get about half way and then I hit something!

Haha, it takes a while to get used to it. Use the rightmost way through the middle section. I've no clue if the other two passages are usable at all. (Can someone pass through them?)

Is there a time limit too?  Wow.

Not yet, but there will be one. Sort of...

So this is going to be a game unto itself?  With different puzzles, etc. to work the balloon through?

Yup. There's a Taito arcade of the same name... ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hello,

Looking great! I found a bug. I have attached two screen shots. Both were taken with the balloon at the exact same position. When the balloon swung all the way to the left it became skewed as shown in the one picture. It looks like a scanline is being overun because you can see a couple blank lines being added in the middle of the display. When the balloon swung back to the right the image would be correct again.

Cheers!

post-2784-1103754933_thumb.jpg

post-2784-1103754934_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

Looking great!  I found a bug.   I have attached two screen shots.  Both were taken with the balloon at the exact same position.    When the balloon swung all the way to the left it became skewed as shown in the one picture.  It looks like a scanline is being overun because you can see a couple blank lines being added in the middle of the display.   When the balloon swung back to the right the image would be correct again.

Uihjah... I thought I already fixed that. Are you per chance experiencing this in the earlier version I sent to [stella]?

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Looking great!  I found a bug.   I have attached two screen shots.  Both were taken with the balloon at the exact same position.    When the balloon swung all the way to the left it became skewed as shown in the one picture.  It looks like a scanline is being overun because you can see a couple blank lines being added in the middle of the display.   When the balloon swung back to the right the image would be correct again.

Uihjah... I thought I already fixed that. Are you per chance experiencing this in the earlier version I sent to [stella]?

Greetings,

Manuel

Oops! You are correct. Sorry that was the old version. Sorry for the false alarm.

Hi there!

I must say too that I'm amazed how closely you got the maze in there!  :o  I didn't think it was even possible when I imagined the game from the early demos.. but it looks spot on! Amazing work Cybergoth :D

Thanks! Hm... I fear the mazes will see some tweaking though:

The arcade balloon is 11 pixels wide. To have a "round" balloon displayed on the VCS, I now use 7 pixels. Since they are twice as wide, that makes 14 pixels compared to the arcade balloon, i.e. as is, it no longer fits through the left and middle passages (@zach: yup, the other passage will be eliminated soon :) ) also the VCS can easily display 30*26 caves, instead of the 26*26 caves of the arcade. Can't waste so much space... ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

The arcade balloon is 11 pixels wide. To have a "round" balloon displayed on the VCS, I now use 7 pixels. Since they are twice as wide, that makes 14 pixels compared to the arcade balloon, i.e. as is, it no longer fits through the left and middle passages (@zach: yup, the other passage will be eliminated soon :) )

Why not 5 or 6 pixels? Probably that would fit better.

Hi there!

small redesign of the balloon with 6 pixels (and one pixel higher)

Hm... Problem with 6 pixels is IMHO that there's no "center" pixel and I think 5 is too small. Can you do the full animation sequence with the 6 pixel wide balloon? It's 7 different frames and shouldn't loose any "swing width". It's drawn somewhat complicated, as I only have centered shapes of different heights and the motion is "programmed". That way the balloon animation is much wider than 8 pixels even though it's still only a single sprite:

BALLOON14

.byte %00111000

.byte %00111000

.byte %00010000

.byte %00010000

.byte %00010000

.byte %00010000

.byte %00010000

.byte %00111000

.byte %01111100

.byte %11111110

.byte %11111110