IGNORED

Atari 400 - Way to use a video monitor with it

doctorclu

Re: "ATARI 400/800 Series"

The 800 has a monitor port. The 400 does not.

So, the 400 & the NTSC 600 XL are the only two Atari 8-Bits without a monitor port.

The XEGS doesn't have a monitor port either. Granted, it still has composite output (through RCA jacks), but it doesn't have the 5-pin DIN port that the other XEs have.

Yes, but as most XLs and XEs only have composite on the DIN monitor port, changing the port was in fact an favour to most customers, for even though there currently are a large number of NOS DIN-to-cinch cables on eBay Germany (seller: "moppi"), they are otherwise quite hard to get., and finding DIN plugs for producing these cables sometimes also is an issue (OK, the DIN5 is one of the more common plugs even outside of Germany for MIDI cables and old PC AT keyboards have the same connector, but finding a DIN7 (XL/XE PSU) or DIN13 (ATari ST monitor) plug can become a real PITA).

Thorsten

Roland guitar synth (gk series) pickups use the din 13 cable, in case you need one in a hurry a music store should carry them.

Hello,

the french atari 400 has a connector peritel (scart) .

Yes, but aren't the French 400/800 and early XL models limited in colour due to the fact that the FGTIA wasn't produced until 1984 and instead contained PAL GTIAs and a primitive "SECAM colour encoding" logic consisting of some resistors?

Thorsten

Thanks very much for the pics.

I'm still trying to piece things together.  Is this right: Atari France took PAL 400 and 800 machines and replaced the RF-out cable with a cable that has a Peritel connector on the end?  So these pics are of the internal hack done by Atari France that end users didn't see, they just had a different cable coming out the back?

Were all 400/800 machines sold in France like this, or did they also sell unmodified PAL 400/800 units in France?

Was there any France-specific documentation on how to set up the 400/800 that would mention the Peritel connector cable?  I'd really love to see scans of anything like this.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I do not have the documentation to confirm :(

the french atari 400 is rare and french atari 800 is very rare in france

this one is a model pal ,modified by atari for France.

there is also modulator RF.

For french atari 800 , there is an additional connector "din 8 pin " .

atari800connecteursecam.JPG

I did not dismount my atari 800 for to look at interior.

Arnaud

Wow, this is so fascinating!

Arnaud, if you're not tired of my questions yet :) ,

Where is that 8-pin DIN located on the 800?  Perhaps on the back somewhere?  Maybe you could even make a pic that's not quite so close up so we can tell where it is?

Is a pinout of the 8-bit DIN available?  Do we know what signals are on what pins?

Back to the 400-- If I understand correctly you mentioned that the 400 has both the normal RF cable as well as the peritel cable.  Where does the peritel cable come out of the 400?  Again, a picture would be wonderful, if that's possible.

thanks!!