IGNORED

2005 - The BBS Challenge (and prizes!)

doctorclu

In 2004 I found a fun online world that can be hit from the Atari computer using a terminal program and various tricks for hitting the internet to telnet.

In 2005 I would like to make it my goal to help get more Atari users with 8-bit computers online. I would like to do this by encouraging those interested to participate in the following online activities:

The Atari Chats: telnet://www.atarinews.com

Tuesday 7 pm CST

Thursday 8 pm CST

Sunday 10 am CST

Posting messages on:

The Boot Factory telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com

Closer to Home telnet://cth.dtdns.net

(Other activities can be added here, but they have to be things that can be easily done (telnetted to) on a Atari 8-bit)(Contact me to add to the list.)

Sometimes getting started needs an incentive, and setting up Atari computers to reach these places can take a bit of work. Figure we could make it possible for cash drawings, doorprizes, and other funness.

Jump in however you can to start (Atari Terminal Simulator at Atarimax.com, hyperterm, etc) , get involved, and possibly win things to help in building an Atari setup that can get you there on it's own. Not bad eh?

This is my way to say thanks to those that run these on-line places that our Atari 8-bit computers can make use, and my way to encourage & possibly help those to see the fun of these things out there.

Tune in to the BBS's and chat for more details. Contests start January 1st, 2005 and continue on throughout the year.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Doctor Clu

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

AND WHEN YOU HAVE MORE TIME, MORE WORDS...

It's been thirteen years since the Atari 8-bit line of computers were discontinued. And it will be 26 years from the release of the Atari 800. Amazing eh?

(And interestingly, 2005 was the year the Atari Force stories took place in the pack-in comics. We should be finding "New Earth" next year) :D

You know back in the 80's, being an Atari user was a badge of pride enough. In that time everyone had 8-bit computers, and the BBS was a buzz like the internet.

Now here we are in the naughties, and I never would have imaged that people would still be running Atari BBS's, and that my Atari could access those BBS's over the internet without big long distance bills. But it can. My 26 year old Atari 800 still talking to other people and locations ran on Atari computers and Atari emulation.

I would like to help this coming year see more people enjoying the tactile experience of an Atari 8-bit computer, typing away to other Atari users and their Atari computers. I want to help a world of Ataris and Atari emulation packed with ATASCII graphics and break type movies. The BBS world will simply be a place that will be our own, that requires an Atari 8-bit or an ATASCII terminal to fully enjoy... a place for the true Atari enthusiast!

I could talk on and on about Atari computers and computer Bulletin Board Systems. But all I can say is...

To own a Atari or be a Atari fan says a lot.

To have been on a BBS EVER is about as rare these days.

You take it to the next level of rareness when the Atari works

And to really rare if you CALL BBS's with it.

What is said on BBS's will not be found in a internet search

(Unless someone puts it on the web).

And you can't enjoy the full ATARI BBS experience

Without Atari emulation or an Atari computer.

Be one of the rare few! :) Be an Atari BBS'er in 2005!

(Be a part of that "Atari Force") LOL!

(And if you have any questions on anything I've said, don't hesitate to ask. Sharing the fun is what I'm here for.)

dayum,  i was 10 when the 800 came out :roll:

The 800 came out 3 years before I was born :P :D

someone is gonna be 30 soon ?

welcome to the elite club of oldfarts :D its a great feeling when hot chicks call you sir :|

LOL! Pay no attention to him. Yeh, I had a hot chick once tell me "Oh I heard you grown ups do that..." but I just simply went from considering her a equal to a brat. Fixed that. :D

Thirties are great. Old enough and experienced enough to avoid most crap, young enough to enjoy what you know (and still time to correct a few oopses along the way and do them better.) ;)

when your in your 30s buy all the things you always wanted. because when get into the 40s, insurance,bills and dr visits start to really kick in as your main reason for existince,

im real excited about getting my prostate checked out in 3 years :roll:

i will be lucky if i can pick up 1 game every couple of months then, if im gonna be allowed to :x