IGNORED

Demo of my first game...

vdub_bobby

I noticed, after posting this, that the colors on z26 and Cyberstella are completely wacked. Here's a new version where you can actually see the thing that makes it scroll faster (it's avoidable).

I do most of my testing in PCAE and for some reason the colors are way different on my machine.

runningman.zip

Just tried it out and it's fun -- after several tries I was able to get to the end (or at least I assume it's the end). I look forward to watching this evolve and trying out new versions as you release them. What is the "Racecar 2004" at the bottom? I assume the game is going to be called "Running Man" due to the name of the binary?

Keep up the great work!

..Al

Just tried it out and it's fun -- after several tries I was able to get to the end (or at least I assume it's the end).  I look forward to watching this evolve and trying out new versions as you release them.  What is the "Racecar 2004" at the bottom?  I assume the game is going to be called "Running Man" due to the name of the binary?  

Keep up the great work!

..Al

Thanks for the nice comments everyone...yeah, when it stops scrolling that's the end.

The racecar 2004...well, I've always liked the word racecar since it is a palindrome (sp?) and so I just slapped it up there as a a fake company name. :)

A couple of changes:

A few more items on the floor that do things.

Redone (though still not-finished) level

Added a timer.

Major thing was reworking how I store data, which freed up many, many, many bytes of ROM.

Oh yeah, also reworked jumping. Please let me know what you think of the jumping...a little too floaty?

Anyway, lemme know whatcha think?

runningman.zip

I dig it! The new items are very promising; the springboard rules! For effect, you could keep the man's legs apart while he is in air. I thought that the first binary's level was a bit harder and therefore more fun, but I do realize that this is a demo.

Great work! Keep us posted on the progress. This looks like its going to be another homebrew winner! 8)

This is really fun. In my EMU it looks like the man has a black Elvis hairstyle which scores major bonus points with me. Any game about Elvis running and jumping is good in my book :D

Seriously, I really like it, the sense of speed is fantastic. I look forward to this one in final cart form.

Thanks for all the kind words :)

Oh, and the original level was just something I slapped together in 15 minutes to make it playable. The new (current) level is only slightly more thought out. Probably level design will be among the last things I do.

Next step...optimizing to make more room for code and free up some RAM.

Thanks again.

Here's the latest update:

Real graphics put in, instead of lame-o placeholder stuff.

Real first level (sorry it's so easy, folks)

Changed colors so it is, hopefully, easier on the eyes.

Added evil bird :)

Added score.

Other stuff I can't remember.

This is probably/maybe the last version that I will be able to fit in 4k...so the next step will probably be the transition to 8k.

Anyway, enough blather. Let me know what you think?

runningman.zip

Love it. Wow does this game move fast. Any chance it starts out slower and builds to this speed and beyond?

Evil bird is cool, love the back grounds and new pick-up item. Colors are looking better, he's like a little jungle man or something! Looking great!