IGNORED

How do you catalog your collections?

dvdguy

I use a BBEdit-created plain text file. At the top I list all systems I own by company in no particular order. For each system I tab over and enter the number of games I own for that system. Below the systems list I calculate the grand total number of games.

Then I have a mini-legend explaining what "i", "o", and "b" stand for (instructions, overlay, and box, incidentally).

Then there's the meat of the list: the games! all listed by system with a couple carriage returns between each system group. Preceding each game I enter "i", "o", and "b" as appropriate and tab over once for the game name.

I keep separate lists for "wants", "peripherals , accessories & controllers", and "for sale/trade".

I attempted using a spreadsheet but it became tedious to maintain two lists and since I prefer the simplicity and portability of plain text...

- Jason

I maintain a Word document that lists which systems I own, the accessories I own for the systems, and then the games I own for the sytem in alphabetical order. If I own manuals or boxes for the game, I list it after the title. This works pretty well for my NES, SNES, Virtual Boy, Sega Genesis, GB, GBC, GBA, PS, and PS2 collections. I also have wish lists for each system and an increasingly small blank space for notes. Of course, the entire document is in 8 pt. font so you have to be pretty close to read the list. When I update the list, I put the date in the lower right hand corner. Whenever I have additions, I just pencil them in approximately the correct space and I redo the list when everything gets to messy looking. Low tech but it does the job.