IGNORED

Gameboy Advance Atari 2600 Emulator

Andrew Davie

I'm not sure if I've announced it before, but I have been working in my spare time on an Atari 2600 emulator for the Gameboy Advance. Well, things have progressed nicely, and I'm now able to reveal that the emulator is up and running, and though in very preliminary stages, it does run my very own Qb quite happily. You can follow progress, and see screenshots - and soon even download binaries - from http://www.2headed.com/2600.html

Cheers

A

-

Andrew Davie - adavie@2headed.com

TwoHeaded Software - www.2headed.com

quote:

Originally posted by CosmicJoke:

Andrew Davie:

Would you have any plans to actually commercially release this 2600 emulator for use on a real Game Boy Advance? I've not quite decided on whether or not I want to purchase a G B Advance, but, this might push me into it

My current plans are to tinker with the speed (it is running a bit slow, but I have lots of tricks up my sleeve) and then release it for general consumption. I don't think I'll be charging for it.

In answer to the other question - once you have a flashlink setup, you can program your own games onto it. There's really no problem getting a game of your own choosing onto a cart. In theory, one could put a couple of hundred '2600 games and my emulator on a single cart.

So, current plans are to keep developing, improving the speed and ironing out any bugs that show up. Once I'm satisfied (a few months), I'll release it to the public. Unless I don't Some people have already seen preview versions, so can confirm it exists and works as advertised.

Cheers

A

quote:

Originally posted by creamedgeezer:

Yes, unfortunately he hasn't updated that page since June, so there's no telling if he's done any additional work on it. It certainly looks promising, so I hope he updates the page soon. Or at the very least announces that he's abandoned it, if that's the case.

..Al

creamedgeezer

btw, i have ordered the flash advance linker and when it comes in i will never buy another gba cart again, i will just download them from here and put them on my 256meg cartridge. cool, huh?    

Pirated software is never "cool". If you want to talk warez, I think you are on the wrong message board.

It's possible. You just get a special cartridge and a pocket linker so you can download games from your computer. There's another guy who's already created an NES emulator for the Game Boy Advance, and with the cartridge and linker you can play it on real hardware. Sadly, the linker, cartridge, and a Game Boy Advance would cost nearly as much as Ben Heckendorn's dedicated 2600 portable.

JR

And I see now that it's 256 megaBIT, which is only 32MB. Off topic- Why do the video game companies do that? Just to make their games seem bigger? No one else says megabit, always megabyte.

Back on topic, that's pretty expensive for 32MB. You could buy a 512MB ram chip for under $50 now.

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Vigor:

And I see now that it's 256 megaBIT, which is only 32MB. Off topic- Why do the video game companies do that? Just to make their games seem bigger? No one else says megabit, always megabyte.

I think you pretty much just answered your own question. I can think of no other reason they'd do that than to artificially inflate the size of their games. And once one company started, they all had to follow. I'd like to know who started this trend. Sega with the Sega Master System?

Now that all modern consoles are (finally!) using disc-based media, those days are probably over. Sure, individual systems may brag that they can store 4.7GB on a DVD, but you don't often hear about how much of a CD or DVD a game might occupy.

..Al

You can see some screenshots of the emulator in action at www.2headed.com/2600.html, and download

a very early alpha binary of Qb too. The binary is my '2600 game Qb running on the '2600 emulator running on a Gameboy Advance. This will run on hardware, or emulators (tested on Mappy, and VisualBoy Advance). Frame rate is about 4fps on hardware - which, I know, is dog-slow. But on the other hand it's all C++ at the moment, and I'm mid-stream in my quest to convert it to fast assembler. I'm very pleased with the progress so far, and have had the emulator running about 20 different games with no problems at all!

Cheers

A

I think this could just end up in buying that Nintendo thing!

Having Pitfall Harry on my palm would make any journey nicely. Part from that, i would like to know from Andrew Davie what this will be like. Flashing some card or plugging a cart into the GBA? Anyway i´ll go for it!

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Now that all modern consoles are (finally!) using disc-based media...

Personally, I prefer cartridges. Somehow, having a CD doesn't feel as "real" to me as having a cartridge. I'm not sure quite how to explain it, but that's that. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from buying Dreamcast and Jaguar CD games... but my true love will always be the cartridge.

And now for something on-topic: Any way you could hitch up some kind of hardware gee-gaw that would let you make a GBA cartridge with a 2600 cartridge port on it? That would be amazing... except for the size of the Atari cartridges compared with the GBA I suppose

(Infogrames: Make this thing!)

--Zero

I'll agree with the one guy here, stealing profits from Nintendo is not cool. GBA is about the only thing they are gonna make tons of cash on, and stealing from that isn't gonna help them much. Tis my view on it though. Ironic, because I own a pirate Dreamcast copy of CvS2, but then, that's a japan only release and I have a US DC. And my friend made it for me without me asking, so whatever.