IGNORED

Atari 2600 turning B&W

keilbaca

Hello all, I need help. This is the problem. I have been fighting with my Promo Atari 2600 for a while now. I have swapped out the 3 chips one at a time from a working 2600A, then I tried all 3 from the working one, still does it. What happens is that after about 10 min of play it turns black and white, sometimes half B&W, Half color (there's static waves of color), sometimes just lines of color and the rest black and white. After about 20 min it goes full black and white. I have also swapped out the 7502. Any help would be appreciated.

SYMPTOM:

Screen becomes snowy and/or no color after several minutes of play.

Reset cures problem but only for a while.

REPAIR:

CX-2600 [six switch] owners, try replacing the .22 ufd capacitors,

(they look like green Chicklets) on teh upper PCB near the ON/OFF

switch (Repace with .22ufd 100 vold cap).

CS-2600A [four switch] owners, should replace the .1ufd capacitor,

C241 (it also looks like a green Chicklet) in the lower left hand

corner of the PCB. (Replace with .1ufd 24 vold cap.)

That's exactly what happens, I turn off the power and turn it back on, and everything works again till like 10 min or so. Thanks Esc, I'll replace that next from my 4 switch to the promo and see if that fixes it, I'm sure it will. Thank you again :D

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm having this problem as well with a 4-switch I just bought. Is it safe to play the console before fixing this problem?

I have just restored a 4 switch Vader using a donor 2600 Long Rainbow.Sacrilige I know but I used all the chips from the 2600 Revision D board which was a pain as they were all soldered in place.Replanted them into my dead Vader but still no good.It turned out to be the large Capacitor just below the on/off switch (on a PAL board).So after almost giving up and running back and forth trying the board out after each chip was inserted,it turned out to be a lousy Capacitor!Moral of the story?Dont always dive straight in and assume the Chips are at fault,they usually are not.It is normally a simple component that causes a V.C.S to malfunction.Oh,and yes,i have fired up a bare Vader motherboard with only the PSU and RF lead in,totally safe,mind you,we have Laminate Flooring!I wouldnt try it on carpet,especially deep pile.:)

Thank you from me as well. I've got a couple 4-switchers that exhibit those symptoms too.

The 4 switch models especially the Vader models seem to give most of the problems.Am I right in suspecting a cheaper manufacturing technique?Having said that,both my Vaders were made in Ireland (I am in the U.K) as was my Junior Black 2600 which,interestingly,has the date of December 1984 stamped on the motherboard.HHmmm.Some three years before they were supposed to be made???