IGNORED

Suikoden IV

cimerians

Yeah, Suikoden III was definitely a low point for the series. It wasn't a terrible RPG; just a terrible Suikoden game. I thought that the fourth game would return the series to its former glory, but after reading the reviews in EGM I doubt that it will. I guess Konami just has higher priorities right now... like that Metal Gear Solid card game they're making for the Playstation portable. :?

JR

Oddly erough, I liked #3. I imported the Limited edition of #4 and played through a couple of times. Can't read the story but was able to get though it without too much trouble. To me, it seems like getting the 108 stars in this one is harder than progressing the story. The naval battles are fun as are the mini games. Controlling the ship is rather awkward at first, but you do get used to it. I'll find out Tuesday when I get #4 how well the story survived translation.

I haven't played any of them since the first one, but I preordered this one anyway because I want the art book, and I've been hearing from people who played the demo that it isn't that bad. I don't really care for PSM or EGM anymore so their reviews mean nothing to me.

Hopefully someday I'll have enough disposeable cash to be able to buy the second part, and I'll eventually get the third just because, though I'm sure I'll like it.

I'm about halfway through it now and I'm really getting into it. The graphics and sound is all nice, as is the battle system, and I've finally gotten the chanse to go out an explore, unfortuately the world is small and there doesn't seem to be much to it.

the other problem is that it's too short, at the rate I'm going I figure I'll complete it in about 20 hours, and that counting getting all 108 characters.

Still though well worth the money I paid for it, though non Suiko fan or people who aren't too keen on RPGs may not like it that much, cause the story is kinda slow and there are a ton of random battles.

Well thats a bit uplifiting, your right though I'm starting to ignore some magazines too. I bought a few games this year that were rated in the 9's (out of 10) and sold them back within a few weeks. I won't mention which ones, lest a flame war starts.

20 hours is good for me these days cause I can't spend too much time on games anymore. Can you import settings from Suiko III? Like in the old games?

There is no data inransfer into #4, but then again, it would be difficult to figure out a convincing reason to have it, as there's little relation to the previous stories and few returning characters.

Anyway, I'm about 15 hours in and from what I believe, about 2/3 of the way through. The encounter rate is a little high, but not consistently so. The quickness of the battle system helps in this department though. The character voices are mostly good, though a few are rather irritating. You can turn down the voice volume separately though if you don't want to hear them. My only real complaints are the huge swaths of ocean you have to sail (slowly) across to go between the islands, docking at a port is an unforgivingly precise task, and the cutscenes are interrupted at times, but otherwise, I'm enjoying it.

My only real complaints are the huge swaths of ocean you have to sail (slowly)

I find that if you switch the camera to the overhead view it looks like you're traveling faster. Granted it doesn't actually increase the speed but[for me anyway]it helps cut down on the boredom cause you look like your going at a good rate.