IGNORED

"home made" AV cable

Atari-Jess

no no I mean the jaguar's RF box itself isn't working, like INSIDE the jaguar.

I've used all sorts of other RF units, I have one broken Jaguar RF, Ive used

radioshack ones and I've used Nintendo ones etc

all of them need to be wiggled around on thejaguars RF output for a signal

to show up.

no no I mean the jaguar's RF box itself isn't working, like INSIDE the jaguar.

I've used all sorts of other RF units, I have one broken Jaguar RF, Ive used

radioshack ones and I've used Nintendo ones etc

all of them need to be wiggled around on thejaguars RF output for a signal

to show up.

The RF box in my first Jaguar was shit right from the factory...

The picture was fuzzy, the sound was so low you had to turn the volume up full blast to hear anything.. I ended up making a home-made cable too... I've since bought an OEM S-video cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I made my own today.

out of broken AV cables and tape and plastic from consumer products packaging.

ohhh yeahhhh I'm a cheap skate.

My RF seemed to be dead, you have to fight with it a lot to get it to work

and even then, its fuzzy and has that line stuff at the left side.

It sounds so Heath Robinson, you should post a photo... ;-)

I modified my own SCART cables with extra audio outputs, and

also a headphone socket, they work just fine, and are convenient.

Of course for me, RGB via SCART (being European) is best option!

I'm still astonished how many people still play with just an RF lead...

Cheers,

JustClaws.

In Jaguar's case the AV cable costs an arm and a leg on eBay and not everyone can hack their own cable.

If there was a source of connector for the AV port I could probably make a few AV cable for less than ePay-through-your-nose prices.

Hello,

In Jaguar's case the AV cable costs an arm and a leg on eBay and not everyone can hack their own cable.

If there was a source of connector for the AV port I could probably make a few AV cable for less than ePay-through-your-nose prices.

Two of my RGB SCART cables are made from cut-down connectors,

where the key is simply the connectors soldered together. These are

made with ribbon cables, and for RGB produce a great picture too.

Thefore if you can find any other connector that fits, you're sorted.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• 4 weeks later...
These are

made with ribbon cables, and for RGB produce a great picture too.

I had one of the commercially-produced RGB SCART cables made with ribbon cable for a while, but it picked up so much interference it worked out worse than RF :( Depends on your equipment setup, but I have so much electromagnetic mush flying around my room it's better to shield everything ;)

Stone

I think you had a good idea of posting pics of our home-made cables, so mine is below. Most of the parts I got from Digi-key.com, a major online electronics retailer, link below. I happen to have about 100 feet of 15-wire, shielded cable on hand for no apparent reason ;) and the RCA jacks were left-overs from when I converted my 7800 to S-video&audio; I got them at Radio Shack, they are meant to be mounted, but I had them on hand. The edge-connector going to the Jaguar is from Digi-key, part number S1126-ND. Depending on whether you want to build a composite, S-video, scart or RGB cable, you'll have to look up the other end on your own. If it's a 13-pin din to an Atari SC-1224 your looking for , or a 6-pin din to Commodore 1084s (RGB) the part numbers are CP-1013-ND (sc1224) and CP-1060-ND (1084S). The total cost for everything, including $5 handling charge and shipping from Digi-Key and what I paid for the cable&RCA plugs at radio shack was definately under $20 total.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dk...l?KeywordSearch

post-149-1108925823_thumb.jpg

I think you had a good idea of posting pics of our home-made cables, so mine is below. Most of the parts I got from Digi-key.com, a major online electronics retailer, link below. I happen to have about 100 feet of 15-wire, shielded cable on hand for no apparent reason ;)  and the RCA jacks were left-overs from when I converted my 7800 to S-video&audio; I got them at Radio Shack, they are meant to be mounted, but I had them on hand. The edge-connector going to the Jaguar is from Digi-key, part number S1126-ND. Depending on whether you want to build a composite, S-video, scart or RGB cable, you'll have to look up the other end on your own. If it's a 13-pin din to an Atari SC-1224 your looking for , or a 6-pin din to Commodore 1084s (RGB) the part numbers are CP-1013-ND (sc1224) and CP-1060-ND (1084S). The total cost for everything, including $5 handling charge and shipping from Digi-Key and what I paid for the cable&RCA plugs at radio shack was definately under $20 total.http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch

Wow. That is confusing. I want to make an AV cable (composite, I think, the kind with the 3 rca cords for left, right speakers and 1 for video). I need the part from digi-key, rca jacks (output, I am assuming), 15-wire cable, and anything else?

How would I put it all together? (I know, with a soldering iron, but what cord goes where?)

I think you had a good idea of posting pics of our home-made cables, so mine is below. Most of the parts I got from Digi-key.com, a major online electronics retailer, link below. I happen to have about 100 feet of 15-wire, shielded cable on hand for no apparent reason ;)  and the RCA jacks were left-overs from when I converted my 7800 to S-video&audio; I got them at Radio Shack, they are meant to be mounted, but I had them on hand. The edge-connector going to the Jaguar is from Digi-key, part number S1126-ND. Depending on whether you want to build a composite, S-video, scart or RGB cable, you'll have to look up the other end on your own. If it's a 13-pin din to an Atari SC-1224 your looking for , or a 6-pin din to Commodore 1084s (RGB) the part numbers are CP-1013-ND (sc1224) and CP-1060-ND (1084S). The total cost for everything, including $5 handling charge and shipping from Digi-Key and what I paid for the cable&RCA plugs at radio shack was definately under $20 total.http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch

Wow. That is confusing. I want to make an AV cable (composite, I think, the kind with the 3 rca cords for left, right speakers and 1 for video). I need the part from digi-key, rca jacks (output, I am assuming), 15-wire cable, and anything else?

How would I put it all together? (I know, with a soldering iron, but what cord goes where?)

Well, first off, a 15-wire cable is not necessarily required, I didn't use all the wires, it is just what I had on-hand, though I do recommend shielded cable. In actuality, I used 9 wires total; Red, Green, Blue, Ground, sync (composite sync from the Jaguar hooked up to two seperate, H&V-sync pins at the SC1224 13-pin Din end), left audio, right audio, L-audio ground, R-audio ground. This was for an RGB cable of course, for a composite cable you would only need 7 wires, everything above, minus the R,G,B-replaced with the composite. With S-video it would be 8 wires. So, basically 9+ wired cable would suffice since I don't think you can get 7 or 8 wire cables. But, as Matthias has posted, the Break-out-box from MorethanGames is probably the best way to go, it has everything BUT RGB. You only need to make a cable if you want RGB. Of course S-video and composite video Atari brand Jaguar cables are still available from many Jaguar/Atari online retailers such as Best Electronics, B&C Computervisons and Songbird, just a few examples. Links are under 'Jaguar' or 'dealers' in the AA links section. It's cheaper to make your own if you know how and don't mind spending the time and ordering the components needed.

Though, if you still want to make your own cable, the only other things you might want are electrical tape and or shrink-tubing to insulate the exposed wiring (available at Radio Shack), I used hot-glue to secure the wires after soldering at the plug-ends, so they aren't ripped out when plugging or unplugging the cables, a knowledge of soldering, though only rudimentary soldering skills are needed for this project, and of course the pin-out diagrams for the plugs at both ends (though with RCA plugs this is just signal and ground on each one), which I could supply you links to or just PM you the diagram.

Other things I find helpful:

Rosin soldering flux to help make the soldering smoother&faster, wire strippers, an exacto (razor) blade to remove exterior cable tubing&shielding and to cut the wires.

• 1 month later...

I guess I came of lucky since my Jaguar came with the AV cable, an extra controller and 16 games all for $150 when I bought it a few months ago. I could've have sworn I saw AV cable for about $10 at the time. Regardless I was shocked to see this one at the BIN price of $49.95 :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8181334104