IGNORED

Ultra SCSIcide Label Contest

Albert

UltraSCSIcide.jpgSCSIcide is an original, fast-paced homebrew game released back in 2001 by Joe Grand of Pixels Past. In SCSIcide you play the role of a hard drive read head. As the different colored bits scroll by on the hard drive platter, you need to quickly read them in the correct order before you suffer a buffer underflow. As you complete each level, the data scrolls by more and more quickly! How far can you go? If you're a fan of Activision's Kaboom!, then you'll love SCSIcide.

Joe Grand has spent some time recently updating SCSIcide and has released a new version of the game titled Ultra SCSIcide. This latest version of the game contains many improvements over the original, such as joystick support (the original version only supports paddles), gameplay improvements, a new PAL version, and more. To help commemorate this new version of the game, Joe Grand and AtariAge have teamed up to create a new label and manual forUltra SCSIcide. To that end we are holding an Ultra SCSIcide Label Design Contest to create original label artwork that will grace all copies of Ultra SCSIcide that are sold through the AtariAge Store after the contest. This artwork will also be featured on the cover of the manual created for Ultra SCSIcide. The contest runs through February 6th, 2005 and the winner will receive a copy of Ultra SCSIcide, a Stelladaptor 2600 to USB Interface, and a $25 Gift Certificate in the AtariAge Store.

February 9th, 2005 - Winner Selected!

UltraSCSIcideWinner.jpgWe are pleased to announce that Nathan Strum is the winner of the Ultra SCSIcide Label Contest! Nathan's vision of an exploding hard drive captures the frenetic pace of Ultra SCSIcide and what we imagine happens to your data after you finally succumb to the ever increasing speed of the game! It was a tough decision for Joe Grand to make, as many fantastic entries were submitted for this contest. For his efforts, Nathan will receive a copy of Ultra SCSIcide, labeled with his winning label design, a Stelladaptor 2600 to USB Interface and a $25 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store.

Once again, congratulations to Nathan Strum (who has won several recent label contests) and to everyone who took the time to submit the many great labels we received for this contest! It's always a pleasure to witness the artistic talent present in the classic gaming community and we look forward to more such contests in the future!

Yes, Westminster it is!  I've actually been using that font a lot lately to promote my current music project: http://www.myspace.com/dotdUmmy.  I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Me too! I'm super excited. There are some amazingly talented people on AA that have been involved with label contests in the past. SCSIcide's concept is slightly odd compared to "normal" games, so I'm curious to see people's interpretation of the concept and how they translate that into label artwork!

Joe

Darn you, Nathan Strum.  Darn you to heck!

Hey... that's pretty strong language! There may be kids reading this stuff. ;)

I might have to throw in the towel on this one...

If you've got an idea - submit it! You never know what Joe is going to like until the contest is over. Besides, the more designs that are submitted, the more work we get to put him through to pick one. :D

If you've got an idea - submit it! You never know what Joe is going to like until the contest is over. Besides, the more designs that are submitted, the more work we get to put him through to pick one. :D

Absolutely! There are no shortage of excellent ideas out there. Plus, no one knows what I'm really looking for (and neither do I), so any label idea is worth submitting. :)

Joe

Plus, no one knows what I'm really looking for (and neither do I), so any label idea is worth submitting. :)

Cool!! :D

krokscsi.jpg

;)

(Only kidding!)

* ding ding ding *

Contest over.

Why don't people just email Nathan if they need a label? :ponder::?

i have no photoshop skills but i cant think of a better idea than taking the art from "basic programming"

m_BasicProgramming_1.jpg

and replacing the main head with joe's profile (looks a little like him already) and the mustache guy with albert. with a little extra tweeking the planets in the background could be a hard drive and the device in mustache guy's hand could be a paddle controller.

Joe%20Grand%20and%20Al.JPG

An unidentified crocodile, with a hard drive in it's mouth..."

...then it just sort of squishes together from there. Care to fill us in on the rest of the story?

And shouldn't that croc be wearing a baseball hat with the number 5 on it, while holding a laser gun? :roll:

Kinda reminds me of the inevitable episode of your favorite show that runs out of time and budget so they decide to assemble a "clips show" that features recycled content from their previous seasons. :D

and replacing the main head with joe's profile (looks a little like him already) and the mustache guy with albert. with a little extra tweeking the planets in the background could be a hard drive and the device in mustache guy's hand could be a paddle controller.

Haha! Oh man, that could be scary.

Joe

I think the Philly Classic version that looked like a hard drive was the best.  I would have just updated that one.

I liked that one a lot, too. But I figured if Joe wanted to re-use it, we wouldn't be having the contest. ;)

As an aside, looking at the "Basic Programming" artwork, two things struck me:

First, Atari had some amazing artists working for them. That's way beyond anything I could come up with. I'd buy posters of some of their stuff, if available.

Second, that's a very over-optimistic interpretation of "Basic Programming". :D

I liked that one a lot, too. But I figured if Joe wanted to re-use it, we wouldn't be having the contest. ;)

I actually created that PhillyClassic label, by scanning a Maxtor hard drive, adjusting the proportions accordingly to fit on a 2600 label, and then modifying various text and other elements. They were then printed on a nice (at the time) dye-sublimation printer. While I like that label (I'm biased), it was specific for that PhillyClassic version, and we want something original going forward. :)

..Al