IGNORED

Ultra SCSIcide Released

Albert

UltraSCSIcide.jpgSCSIcide is an original, fast-paced homebrew game released back in 2001 by Joe Grand of Pixels Past. In SCSIcide you play the role of a hard drive read head. As the different colored bits scroll by on the hard drive platter, you need to quickly read them in the correct order before you suffer a buffer underflow. As you complete each level, the data scrolls by more and more quickly! How far can you go? If you're a fan of Activision's Kaboom!, then you'll love SCSIcide.

Joe Grand has spent some time recently updating SCSIcide and has released a new version of the game titled Ultra SCSIcide. This latest version of the game contains many improvements over the original, including:

• Added support for joystick controllers. Controller type is automatically detected when you press the paddle or joystick fire button to start the game.

• Fixed the flicker that used to occur at the beginning of each level.

• Changed background and data bit color palette to make bits easier to distinguish.

• Reduced track size from 10 to 8 bits, for a more appropriate one byte per level.

• Changed speed increase per level - only two random data bits increase in speed each level.

• Modified the sound and scoring routines to account for longer gameplay and higher levels.

• Changed title screen text and added GIS and Pixels Past logos.

• Added a PAL version of the game.

To help commemorate this new version of the game, Joe Grand and AtariAge have teamed up to create a new label and manual for Ultra SCSIcide. To that end we are holding an Ultra SCSIcide Label Design Contest to create original label artwork that will grace all copies of Ultra SCSIcide that are sold through the AtariAge Store after the contest. This artwork will also be featured on the cover of the manual created for Ultra SCSIcide. The contest runs through February 6th, 2005 and the winner will receive a copy of Ultra SCSIcide, a Stelladaptor 2600 to USB Interface, and a $25 Gift Certificate in the AtariAge Store.

so this is a SCSIcide hack, right? ;) ;) :D

Should be interesting. I just played a few games of original SCSIcide tonight.

ooo, wait, does this mean my original SCSIcide is now worth big money? ooooo!

How long is Grand going to milk this SCSIcide train anyway? :D :D :D

How long is Grand going to milk this SCSIcide train anyway? :D  :D  :D

Ultra Wide SCSIcide Platinum Plus? :ponder:

can I get that in a clear or colored cart? :ponder:

Man, luckily I know you guys are messing with me! :P

But, in case you were serious, no - it won't be available in colored cartridges and I haven't even started to milk the SCSIcide empire. One update in four years? You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Joe

You should consider releasing it in a CLEAR cart. That would rock, and I would probably pick it up, although you have already picked my pocket for the original. :roll:

:P :P :P :P

you know you got nothing but love from me, Joe! Can't wait to see what's new. Can't imagine SCSIcide with a joystick!

Wish I had the PhillyClassic 3 cart; that label is cool.It will be interesting to see which controller(joystick/paddle) works the best to play this game.I agree with chrisbid, this should have been called the "SCSIcide Patch V1.01"But all kidding aside, it's going to be great to have yet another homebrew...

Wish I had the PhillyClassic 3 cart; that label is cool.It will be interesting to see which controller(joystick/paddle) works the best to play this game.I agree with chrisbid, this should have been called the "SCSIcide Patch V1.01"But all kidding aside, it's going to be great to have yet another homebrew...

My personal favorite is still the paddle controller, as once things are moving pretty fast it's easier to get to the proper track in time. However, you can get pretty far with the joystick, but you need to be lightning fast on the higher levels.

..Al

• 15 years later...

We'll be featuring Ultra SCSIcide LIVE on today's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1810069189_20200327-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.fcd61482de8983e2f885d2ce3c984cdf.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, joesmooth said:

Very exciting! I didn't think anyone remembered (Ultra)SCSIcide anymore!

This will be my first Twitch viewing experience and I'm sort of nervous about watching you play it live. Hope you enjoy it :)

Joe

Hi Joe! It was great you were able to join us live last night while we played your game Ultra SCSIcide on Twitch, it was a blast getting up to those crazy fast high levels! The world needs more great paddle games on the VCS. We love digging into the archives of the past 25 years of Atari 2600 homebrew, there are some genuine treasures waiting to be uncovered.

For those of you who missed it live, here's the YouTube archive of the stream:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 5