IGNORED

Atari 8bit USB - Updates, Games, Drivers, News

cas

Sometimes it might be useful to send debug output from USBTEST and USBDOS Tools to printer (or to Disk) to send this output to the developers. Here is a short "hack" to do this:

Prerequsites:

* Atari 8bit Computer with build-in Machine Language Monitor (QMEG, BiboMon, Turbo Freezer etc.)

* USBTEST.COM or USBDOS.COM Programs

1. load USBTEST.COM or USBDOS.COM

2. activate ML Monitor

3. change memory location $378F from value 07 to 37

4. change memory location $3793 from value 06 to 36

5. return to the program

7. Everything that normally goes to the screen goes now to the printer

8. if you have a SIO2PC cable with programs like APE or SIO2PC, you can capture the printer output and send it to the PC Screen or to a disk file.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

small Update from the USB Front. I've just got an SUN Sparc Workstation for Work, and it came with an USB Keyboard (Tastatur: Model Typ 6 USB Nr. 3201281-01). I tested it with the Atari USB Cart and the existing USB Keyboard driver, and it worked.

SUN Keyboards and Mice Sets can be found for under US$20 on E-Bay.

Best regards

Carsten

Another small Update:

I've been able to test a USB Floppy Drive, and it is working with the USBTEST Program (so a Driver can be written, if anyone has time and interest)

The Floppy Drive is TEAC FD-05PUW, P/NS 19309112-00 External Floppy Disk Drive Unit USB

The Floppy Drive can be found on eBay (new) for US$ 9 or 15 Euro.

Anyone volunteering to help writining a Driver?

Edited by cas

I am in the process of re-writing USBTEST into C, so I could go on from there to try a driver. I already have a USB floppy.

Hi Dan,

Glen Jones is also porting USBTEST to CC65. I'll send you his E-Mail Address per personal Mail. Please contact him, you might want to join your work.

For a Floppy Driver, assembler would be a the way to go, it should be a Atari Device Driver integrating into the driver table, and that is best done in assembler. I can provide the low level stuff (usb initialization, read sector, write sector). Also the FAT filesystem stuff from USBDOS can be used.

Best regards

Carsten

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I would like to inform you (especially the German USB Gurus ;)) that Atariada Prostejov 2006 will take place in May, Saturday 6, in Prostejov, Czech Republic. Details can be found here.

Everyone is welcome, users, programmers and HW manufacturers alike. :)

Regards

Pepax

P.S. There will certainly be some owners of the unearthly USBCart (not me, I'm between Ataris right now. :( )

But I can take piles of different USB stuff to test, namely a skateboard, Logitech Formula Force GP Racing Wheel, the ATI Remote Wonder, the Wacom Volito tablet, some mice, a Plextor CD-burner, an USB-to-2xPS/2 Y-cable, various flash drives, cardreaders, HDD boxes, the Vipower VP-8058 SmartDock, a few webcams or combos and a simple soundcard if anyone is interested, not mentioning an USB network card and a smartcard reader. :D Hey, even a FSC Pocket Loox PDA could be tested, if the boss permits :)

I also have hundreds of SIMMs and handful of flash/e(e)proms I can trade or give to someone on the place.

Edited by pepax

I would like to inform you (especially the German USB Gurus ;))

Hehe , last year my presentation of the USB cart was quite a bit tedious :)))

P.S. There will certainly be some owners of the unearthly USBCart (not me, I'm between Ataris right now. :( )

"unearthly USBCart"?? Wow, this is a strange description *gg

I'll do my best to go to Atariada this year again, chance is 50%.

\twh

Hi Tom,

Hehe , last year my presentation of the USB cart was quite a bit tedious :)))

I don´t think so.

Anyway, this year it would be great if we could help the development somehow.

I propose another coding session, this time during the Atariada. ;)

Bob!k/C.P.U. has been fiddling with my skateboard, wheel and IDE2USB bridge for quite a while now, so he would certainly appreciate a helping hand.

I have even suggested patching River Raid for the board to him. I know, it's quite brutal. :D

"unearthly USBCart"?? Wow, this is a strange description *gg

Why not? Wouldn't the Atari developers find it unreal if they could even imagine it? :D

Everything's USB nowadays, so Atari must be naturally prepared for it to remain competitive. :P

I'll do my best to go to Atariada this year again, chance is 50%.

Please do. I'm sure you will say in 50 years: "Atariada Prostejov? Yeah, it was a heck of a fun." :cool:

Do you have any idea if the unearthly :) Cart's authors are thinking of coming? It would be much appreciated.

I can't promise anything yet but there is a chance that the party could be sort of extended using a cottage. :) It's on the way back home anyway. :D An ideal place for an afterparty I'd think. Let's wait what the others say.

Pepax

Hi everybody!

I would like to inform you (especially the German USB Gurus ;)) that Atariada Prostejov 2006 will take place in May, Saturday 6, in Prostejov, Czech Republic. Details can be found here.

Everyone is welcome, users, programmers and HW manufacturers alike. :)

I'm really sorry not to be able to come to Atariada. I'm organizing a booth at LinuxTag in Germany (Europe biggest Linux Event) from 3rd - 6th May, and people count on me to be there and help with the booth.

To help during a coding session, I can be available on a Chat Channel, by E-Mail, or you can call me on my mobile phone (please send PM for Number).

Carsten

I'm really sorry not to be able to come to Atariada. I'm organizing a booth at LinuxTag in Germany (Europe biggest Linux Event) from 3rd - 6th May, and people count on me to be there and help with the booth.

Now that's a pity. Maybe next time. :sad:

Do you have any idea about your fellow developers' intentions to come? ;)

To help during a coding session, I can be available on a Chat Channel, by E-Mail, or you can call me on my mobile phone (please send PM for Number).

Carsten

Thank you very much for your offer. I will pass it to my friends and I hope it will motivate them not to give up trying.

The USBCart is a marvellous thing and it should be squeezed out to the max. :)

Pepax

USB on an Atari... should be a sinch since USB is based on Atari SIO (according to SIO & USB's inventor, Joe Decuir) albeit slightly more advanced and simplified

Could you use ANY USB device with the Atari USB cart jobbie like external dvd rw drives, USB hard Drives, video capture dev's (like wintv) and high speed 1.4meg floppy drives

USB on an Atari... should be a sinch since USB is based on Atari SIO (according to SIO & USB's inventor, Joe Decuir) albeit slightly more advanced and simplified

Not simplified, but maybe more advanced ;)

Could you use ANY USB device with the Atari USB cart jobbie like external dvd rw drives, USB hard Drives, video capture dev's (like wintv) and high speed 1.4meg floppy drives

In theory, we can use any USB 1.1 compatible Device (as the USB Controller is USB 1.1 only). You can see a list of tested Devices at http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/Mic...tAtariDevMatrix

It's a question of writing drivers. Each USB Device needs a driver. When someone write a driver, we can use the device with the Atari 8bit. The problem with some devices (WebCams, Printer) is that the Vendors don't publish specifications, only their binary only Windows USB Driver. We face the same problem as the Linux/BSD People. But for every device that is usable in Linux should also be usable at the Atari XL/XE, if soneone writes the drivers.

Ciao

Carsten

Now that's a pity. Maybe next time. :sad:

Do you have any idea about your fellow developers' intentions to come? ;)

I have only loose contact to the other USB Software developers, so I cannot say. The USB Hardware developers (Thomas and Harry) seldom go to conventions, don't expect them to show up.

The whole team will probably at the Fujijama Party in Lengenfeld in July (replacement for Unconventional Party this year).

Carsten

Edited by cas

Have the Fujima party some home page yet? I would like to add its url to my calendar.

So far no homepage, but a date

http://www.atari-portal.net/modules.php?na...op=view&eid=159

21th - 23rd July 2006

Lengenfeld

Same Place as Unconventional

It's not the "Schreiersgrün" Atari Fair + Unconventional Gaming and Coding Party together.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

If anyone is interested in buying the USB skateboard that can be seen on the Fujiama party photo gallery look at Alfadata or Ergenic. They may share the secret where to buy it with you. :) I bought mine from a Czech computer wendor, they had one on sale, collecting dust for quite a long time I guess (nothing surprising ;) ).

It would be great if there was more than one skateboard AND USBCart owner for the driver development's sake. :)

Cas has patched the Trailblazer and he will surely produce a working version soon 'coz he's a very dextrous guy. ;)

Pepax

P.S. Thanks again for the Cartridge, Carsten.

Howdy Pepax

Cas succeeded in finding out the right code to use one of those boards? :thumbsup:

Greetings

Mathy (who will now be tempted to buy one of those silly skateboards with a USB plug. Thanks. Not! :grin: :grin: )

It's working in Forth, it's currently not working in Assembler code. That ususally means, it will work (the Skateboard), and there is still a bug in the Assembler code driver that I must find.

I haven't had the chance to test the stepper (I have no such device).

Carsten

• 2 months later...

USB Project Status upgrade

We're make good progress on the SIO2USB Device. I have posted pictures from our last meeting in May on the MicroUSB Website.

There was a posting on comp.sys.apple2 today asking for a possible Apple 2 USB Project. I hope they will join MicroUSB so that driver development get's more programmers. It seems there are more Hardware developers out there than programmers that are willing to write USB driver code.

The new SIO2USB Version 3 will be presented at the annual ABBUC meeting on 21st of October.

Carsten

The new SIO2USB Version 3 will be presented at the annual ABBUC meeting on 21st of October.

Carsten

Great project! :thumbsup:

It would be nice to see video (in DivX) of this SIO2USBdevice presentation.

:?: Please, can I expect it?

I'll ask around if someone can bring a camera to JHV. Should be possible.

Carsten

• 6 months later...