IGNORED

No one stole my HERO

sway3

EDIT: Before you read this thread, I want you to know that it looks like it will all work out - all information contained in posts below. The remainder of this post is unedited.

Okay, a bit over a month ago I was selling several quality games on eBay:

• Complete Beamrider mint
  • Complete Commando mint
  • Complete Frostbite mint
  • Complete Dolphin mint
  • Complete Oink mint
  • Complete Plaque Attack mint
  • Cosmic Commuter (cart)
  • HERO (cart)
  • Rampage (cart)

I was contacted by an old Atari third party game distributer who wished to aquire the above games. They directed me to their website and offered any 5 games of theirs (new) for all 9 of mine.

To be honest, I would really only be breaking even (which is not the goal I had in mind) ~ so I asked what they would be used for...

I was told this company wanted my games for an in-house library and an up-coming project involving these particular games. I was asked not to divulge any more information than that.

Anyway, my games were in pristine condition (really) and I figured they would be used for photos and promotions. The idea of being able to contribute to something like that was very appealing to me. I was even offered a (very) tiny credit for contributing.

Of course, you can guess what happened, I sent my games. Confirmed their arrival by email and made arrangements for their end of the trade to be sent to me.

Two weeks later I emailed my contact and he said he'd been out of town, but he'd have them sent immediately.

It has been over a month now... I'm not sure if they sent them by a courier on foot or perhaps I have been scammed?

Anyone else approached in this way recently?

I am not naming the company - at least not out right... Any ideas?

Yes, I have emailed them again.

The cruelest thing is that I had promised one of the games I was getting, Tony Hawk 3 for PS2 to my 12 year old neighbor for his birthday. I actually had to go out and buy the game...

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: sway3 ]

well first of all make sure you have all the proof you need, then you keep sending them mail and phonecalls and emails and eventually you go to their place and if they toss you out then you go get the govt involved.

cause that really sucks.

especially coming from them.

(ive guessed the company i would think)

hey, good luck with that cause i would be more than mega pissed at them right now if i were you.

and until it gets sorted out, im not gonna buy any of their products and get others to do it too, yep a mini boycott!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Atari-Jess ]

Sure, I know exactly who you mean. The company is sort of revealed in the game list, but said individual approached me on behalf of this company for an auction I had up, Double Dragon for 7800. I told him it was against eBay rules to deal outside eBay once the auction was posted, but if he wanted to bid I might make a deal if he was the winner. He never bid.

Eric

Try talking to your local Post Master. I think you might be able to convince him/her that this is a form of mail fraud. Sometimes they don't want to be helpful in this manner and some times they love this kind stuff (Post Masters that is). Of course this is only good if you used the USPS.

Have you tried calling the Company direct to see if this individual actualy works there? I have been approached a few times with similar requests but always politley reply that it is not in my best intrests to deal outside of e-bay due to time constrants and fast turn around of inventory. I encourage them to bid on my auctions and offer a willingness to work with them on bulk shipping over several days but very few who approach like this ever due which leads me to question their legitimacy. Best of luck in recovering something.

About 5 years ago aomebody put an add in UK PC and Videogame mags stating they were the curators of a new Videogame Museam to be opened in London and anybody wishing to contribute should mail games too....

5 years on and to the best of my knowledge this museam still does not exist, except in the advertisers bedroom that is. I wonder how many Atari carts this person stole.

Good idea though, I wish I'd have thought of it!(only j/k)

Adam

This the email that I received just now:

Chris,

You have not been scammed.

Do not insult me / us.

I have been busy. "I apologize for that."

This is actually our busiest time o year.

I will put the request in for the games today. I will ship them today.

We will not trade anymore titles in the future.

Thanks

(edited name)

Do you think this means I won't get my credit?

I emailed him back and said I'd believe it when I see it.

Edit: Took out more identify info, I really NEVER meant to point to any one person. That was NEVER my intention.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: sway3 ]

if thats who i think it is, thats funky!

(and lemmi seems to think its the same guy too)

this sumguy @ thirdpartycompany . com may just as well be ken @ thirdpartycompany...

hehe just as well an awful experience.

*sigh* Atari brings happiness and anger... just like the FORCE! hm...atari force...hasn't that been used ? :P hehe lol

man, if that's the guy that posts here, he has always been very informative, helpful and friendly. It really hadn't been that long of time. I think you could of been a bit more impatient before you threw up the "I got scammed" thread. U owe this guy and company an apology. I've had ebay auctions that have taken longer than that to go through and he has to go through company BS to get those games for you, not like they are just sitting on his desk.

berz

quote:

Originally posted by berzerk:

man, if that's the guy that posts here, he has always been very informative, helpful and friendly. It really hadn't been that long of time. I think you could of been a bit more impatient before you threw up the "I got scammed" thread. U owe this guy and company an apology. I've had ebay auctions that have taken longer than that to go through and he has to go through company BS to get those games for you, not like they are just sitting on his desk.

berz

I say thats bullshit. Doesn't anyone take responsiblity for their actions anymore?

If MrX @ thirdparty.com said "Yeah, lets do it". He should have had those games boxed and waiting to go. When he received the games, that box should have gone out.

First of all guys, I dont think its any of our business to speculate on if this is or isnt someone we know from the boards. Sometimes its better off not saying anything, because if somehow the speculation is wrong, you have hurt his reputation.

Secondly, I have had alot longer ebay related delays. It is a large pain, but my advice is just to be patient, and give it time.

Seeing as how you say his company is working on a compliation software package, and many people buy videogames around the holiday season, it is entirely possible for the long hours and possibly rushed production to be taking much of his time away.

To be totally fair, I understand your anger and frusteration, but this is a busy time of year, and with recent tightning of security of the mail delivery, this may hamper things even more.

Give it a few more weeks, then if you still havent recieved payment, take action. Acting prematurly will only make you feel bad if the next day you get the money. I sent an angry email about not recieving payment before over ebay, and the next day the money arrived in the mail, and i felt like a jerk.

quote:

Originally posted by Arcadenut:

I say thats bullshit. Doesn't anyone take responsiblity for their actions anymore?

If MrX @ thirdparty.com said "Yeah, lets do it". He should have had those games boxed and waiting to go. When he received the games, that box should have gone out.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well put.

YEA ! what arcadenut says. If he is ready to make the deal and recieve his merchandise he should be prepared to deliver in a timely manner. It's not like sway was Bashing this company left and right he didn't even mention them by name which is what some would have done. Appears as if he discovered this post and is trying to cover his A**! LEts see how long it take or if the merchandise is delivered.

First, let me say that I VERY HIGHLY DOUBT it was anyone that posts on these boards because the easiest way to get what they wanted would be to come here vs. scouring eBay auctions. However, if it is someone who posts here, I will immediately delete this post because my intentions are not to offend other Atariage posters.

Second, he SPECIFICALLY told me he would mail the games immediately after recieving mine. I sent mine the next morning and they arrived 2 days later.

I realize I left that crucial bit of information out and had I included it people wouldn't have been calling me impatient, et cetera. I tried to include only pertinent information (otherwise the post would be way too long).

Third, I emailed him the day after my games arrived (according to my delivery confirmation # at usps.com) and confirmed that they had arrived. At that time, 4 weeks ago, he said he was sending my games to me. I then emailed him after 2 weeks and he said he was out of town, but he was sending the games right away. I then emailed him yesterday - after more than a month - and you saw the response I got.

U owe this guy and company an apology.

Let me consider it.... ummm... no.

quote:

Doesn't anyone take responsiblity for their actions anymore?

Thank you, yes, I agree!

Okay, well, I guess I'll let you know what happens. I should know by mid-next week if he really sent the games or not.

I have another email from him in my in-box, but I haven't opened it yet. I'm still kinda steamed about the idea that I'm the bad guy for expecting him to do what he says he's going to do... I figure I should take some time to cool down. Otherwise, I'll just get angry about whatever he says and send a nasty response. (Would I do that? nah)

Thanks for all your input - even the 2 I disagreed with.

Here is the latest email:

"Understood."

I'm sorry you feel this way.

You do seem to be the only one.

I can understand you feeling the way you do, though.

Thanks,

(edited rest of document)

I must admit this does make me feel better (and I emailed him and told him so).

As I was writing this post, I received this email:

Chris,

Also wanted you to know, that you will still receive credit in the (edited: project).

You did contribute to it, so you deserve credit.

"Thanks" again

(edited rest of document)

I don't know guys. Maybe he really was just busy? If so, he needs a new secretary! (It seems like alot of work for a "scam.")

Either way, I'll post the update once I know.

And again, thanks for all the input!

I just to step in here and say that I've had several dealings with Ken Love @ Activision and I can't imagine that he would have tried to take advantage of you. I believe him when he says he's been busy, as the role he's in at Activision would probably have him dealing with several different projects all trying to get out the door for Christmas. The game industry is generally crazy this time a year and it's bad enough if you need to be involved with one project. Being involved with several has got to be pretty stressful and time consuming.

I'm not saying that Ken shouldn't have sent your games out sooner, just that I find it extremely unlikely that he was trying to "scam" you out of your games. I hope you guys are able to work this out to a satisfying conclusion that doesn't leave either party upset..

..Al

ACK!!

I just read albert's post and I feel horrible.

I only intended to post a "situation" that I was frustrated with...

I NEVER meant to call or name names. I have personally emailed my contact and directed them here. I also will delete every post I made and re-title this 'sway3 is a jerk' if need be.

...okay, I just heard "you got mail."

Seems my contact doesn't mind? I still feel bad.

I think I will leave it as is, but change my title a bit...

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

I wouldn't worry about it Sway3.. the guy should have sent your stuff *weeks* ago, and he didn't.. which is pretty lousy, if you ask me.

True. However, I have made mistakes before too. Once I even sold 2 atari system with 100 games each, 1 was a 7800 and the other a 2600. The mistake is that I switched addresses and sent them each the wrong system - one to NC and the other to Great Britain! (Yes, I eventually fixed it.)

Now, the difference between my mistake and this one is that I wasn't personally blasted on a popluar internet message board for my mistake.

Although inadvertently, that is what I have ultimately done. Sorry if I'm rambling, but you can see by the times over my posts that this has all happened in a reletively short period of time. I'm still debating what I should do?