IGNORED

Were there any changes to the NES console?

I've been told the expansion port was removed from later NES models.

I know it's blocked off on mine. Still there, but the case won't let you access it.

Later revisions had protection on the lockout chip to prevent certain 3rd-party carts from confusing it into letting an unlicensed game work(Tengen carts still work, as they reverse engineered the cart-side lockout chip, so they look like a licensed cart electrically).

Just something I remember from when I was younger, but I seem to recall the first NES my brother and I got (Christmas 1985) has a smooth texture on the top of the plastic casing. The second NES we got (Christmas 1988) has a rougher texture on top. The third model I got (in the early 90s) also has this rougher texture. So apparently there was a design in the type of plastic used on the original releases and the later revisions.

Rev. 11 of the toaster box has a slight change to the lockout system that prevented some unlicensed games from working at all. Rev 11 NES usually can be identified by red foil sticker on the bottom and under the cart flap.

The first 10 are mostly minor changes for cheaper pricing and other improvements.