IGNORED

Wow! Finally landed a Heavey Sixer!

Zeus

Well, it took a little over two years of collecting, but I finally landed a heavey sixer! It cost a fair bit, but I finally can say that I own one of these beauties. I couldn't believe it, but the person that I bought it from actually got it for free! Lucky for him, our little transaction was 100% profit for himself. I must say, they are quite a thing to beholdl; the smooth curves, the thick plastic sides, not to mention the nice rich colour. Oh, I think it is time to play some Space Invaders. 8)

There's one currently on eBay. Search atari heavy six.

Nope. I come up with four "heavy sixer" auctions - two are for Atari models and two Sears. The Sears models are heavy sixers but the Atari models are definitely not - one's even a four-switch!

I posted about this a couple weeks ago, people advertising non-heavies as heavies on ebay. One of the two Atari auctions is clearly being run by a scam artist (he calls his system "heavy sixer style", so he's obviously got some shady wording) and the other is just being run by a moron. He's got a big huge picture of the system and it is most obviously a four-switch system and twice he calls it a six-switch. I guess the guy doesn't know how to count.

I don't know if it's easier to come by Sears models but maybe it is. Ataris don't seem to come up that often. I have a Sears myself and didn't pay that much for it.

The one I posted about is genuine. it is item # 8163446000 but it ended yesterday. I saw the unit at a used game store at a regular swap mart in Texas and told the guy that he should put it on eBay. He had it hooked up and running. It was in much better shape than my own heavy sixer.

He's an old guy, didn't know what he had until I told him about it. I told him to list it more than once if it doesn't sell. It may take a while. His original listing didn't show a photo, but it did have the serial #.

It is the real deal guys, I'd buy it myself if I didn't still have my original one from 1977.

There's one currently on eBay. Search atari heavy six.

Nope. I come up with four "heavy sixer" auctions - two are for Atari models and two Sears. The Sears models are heavy sixers but the Atari models are definitely not - one's even a four-switch!

I posted about this a couple weeks ago, people advertising non-heavies as heavies on ebay. One of the two Atari auctions is clearly being run by a scam artist (he calls his system "heavy sixer style", so he's obviously got some shady wording) and the other is just being run by a moron. He's got a big huge picture of the system and it is most obviously a four-switch system and twice he calls it a six-switch. I guess the guy doesn't know how to count.

I don't know if it's easier to come by Sears models but maybe it is. Ataris don't seem to come up that often. I have a Sears myself and didn't pay that much for it.

They all have six switches (somewhere or other), though, don't they, and they're all kind of heavy (in various degrees). ;)

Hopefully the buyers are aware of what they're getting (or not getting).

5-11under

I actually got it from a fellow collector who had no use for the thing. He got it for free and agreed to sell it to me. I had the box as well, unfortunately the controllers and power pack were not original. There were also a few of the gatefold boxes (not the greatest condition) and some really minty 1977 style numbered carts.

What do these typically sell for?  I had to dig mine out to verify, but it is indeed an original "heavy sixer."  I guess I always just assumed these were common garage sale fodder.

Yay for having cool parents when I was a kid.   :D

Not necessarily cool, just fortunate early adopters. (Well, okay, cool 'cos they bought you one in '77. :-))

Heavy Sixers are sought after for the very reason that they were only released in 1977. All subsequent models released after that were of the "light" variety.

Typically, the unit with an average pair of sticks and paddles, and a regular AC can fetch $30 or more. If you have the original accessories (paddles that say "Atari" and the gray AC adapter, plus first-year sticks -- more in a bit) expect a little more. And if, by some miracle, you have first-year sticks with the hex discs still attached (The "Atari" name and logo on a plastic disc inset into the top of each joystick's boot) expect that to double or triple. (A set of those can fetch $60 or more just by themselves). God help you if you have all of this complete in box, too. That would be the piece de reistance of anyone's console collection.

Nice. I'd absolutely LOVE to have one of those babies. Unfortunately, the left port on my mom's old 4-switch is screwy and my dad and I have no idea how to fix or replace it. We have a 2600 Jr. coming our way, though, so hopefully I'll be able to play single-player games by the end of the week.

Colin Mochrey is funny. :-)

Ports are pretty easy and cheap to fix. $1.25 from Best Electronics, a little desolderig braid to desolder the old port, a little solder for the one one, and you got yourself a new port.

Doesn't really help much if you're not much good with a soldering iron, though...

• 1 month later...
Colin Mochrey is funny.  :-)

Too Right! For those who follow The Red Green Show, it looks like Colin will be appearing in this season's episodes with Harold is his new "hobby" portion of the show.

Also, it sounds like next year is the last for the Red Green Show. (As quoted by Harold during his appearance on the fund raising program "Festival", on Iowa Public Television.)

I got my 'sixer from one of those sleazy movie/game store owners who always try to rip you off. You know, the type that try to sell you pac-man and combat for 5$ a pop :) Fortunately, he had no idea what he had, and I ended up getting the 'sixer for quite cheap. Take that, sleazebag!