IGNORED

Genesis and the Master System Adaptor

Hi all... well after my previous thrift runs I am in need of a Genesis and a Sega Master System adaptor. I had one question though. With the adaptor, does it sit on all versions of the Genesis or is there a certain Genesis that it only works with? (I picked up Wonder Boy in Monster Land yesterday and I'm soo excited to play it again after about 10 years!)

I may end up buying a Genesis and a Master system but would prefer to save room in the gaming setup by killing 2 birds with one stone. Thanks for the help!

It will also work on a Laseractive if you take the case off so it fits in the slot.

Really, c'mon now, how many people besides you and I actually own a Laseractive? :cool: :lolblue:

How about the JVC X'Eye? Is it 100% compatible with the Genesis? Or how about the CDX or Nomad? The Nomad would be nice to use it on, although it would make the unit awfully heavy. And I don't suppose the Master System Converter has a card slot on it to use the LCD shutter glasses, does it?

It will also work on a Laseractive if you take the case off so it fits in the slot.

Really, c'mon now, how many people besides you and I actually own a Laseractive? :cool: :lolblue:

How about the JVC X'Eye? Is it 100% compatible with the Genesis? Or how about the CDX or Nomad? The Nomad would be nice to use it on, although it would make the unit awfully heavy. And I don't suppose the Master System Converter has a card slot on it to use the LCD shutter glasses, does it?

X'Eye and CDX are 100% compatible. Dunno about Nomad.

And yes, the Power Base Covnerter DOES have a card slot. Though it doesn't work with the F15 simulator card.

Note that the PBC case is closely mated to the original Genny. You ahve to remove or alter it to connect it to anything else(mine has a notch cut into the back to make room for Genny 2 plugs).

I had wished that Sega had made an all-in-wonder type unit that at least had the Genesis, Sega CD and 32X all in one unit, if not the mastersystem too. That would've been sweet!

My experience with the mastersystem adaptor was that you had to try over and over again to get a game to work before it would...it was almost not worth the effort, so I gladly got an actual mastersystem and gave the adaptor and spare Genesis I was using for it to my brother.

I had wished that Sega had made an all-in-wonder type unit that at least had the Genesis, Sega CD and 32X all in one unit, if not the mastersystem too. That would've been sweet!

SCD and 32x compatibility means Master system compatibility, from what I know. And there WAS a prototype "Mars" system, which was a complete Sega Frankenstien in one Saturn-style case.

My experience with the mastersystem adaptor was that you had to try over and over again to get a game to work before it would...it was almost not worth the effort, so I gladly got an actual mastersystem and gave the adaptor and spare Genesis I was using for it to my brother.
Mine works quite nicely. Even when it was mounted on a Genny 2 where it didn't sit quite right it worked well.

Luck o' the draw, I guess.

I know that nobody's going to know this firsthand, but does anyone know if, since the Master System is downwardly compatible with Sega's SG-1000 console, can SG-1000 carts be played through the Master System converter?

No it's not. The SG-1000 & SG-3000 carts are a completely different shape than the SMS carts (more like a Colecovision cart). The SMS can probably play Mark III carts though, I don't know if there was any regional lock out on those (I doubt it).

Tempest

Mine works quite nicely. Even when it was mounted on a Genny 2 where it didn't sit quite right it worked well.

Luck o' the draw, I guess.

Yeah, mine might have been crap. But what I would have to do would be things like hold down the reset button while pushing the power and even then I still had to try like 5 or 6 times before the game would finally take. And occasionally it just never would.

SCD and 32x compatibility means Master system compatibility, from what I know.

Well, not necessarily. It says either on the 32X box or in the owner's manual, I can't remember which, that the Mastersystem adaptor would not work if inserted in a 32X... why, I have no idea and I never tested it, but that's what it says.... if anybody has a 32X and a SMS adaptor try it and see what happens...I claim no responsibility if you subsequently fry your sega and/or blow up your house. :)

And there WAS a prototype "Mars" system, which was a complete Sega Frankenstien in one Saturn-style case.

Actually, I do remember that, and to this day, I'm still very dissapointed that it never came out... but even the mars would've only been Genny, SCD and 32X, it wouldnt've supported SMS (unless the adaptor would work)

It works with the Genesis 1 and 2, but not 3.  The reason is that the 3 doesn't have the z80 chip which is used for the SMS.  It will also work on a Laseractive if you take the case off so it fits in the slot.

Tempest

Really??? Back in the day, some magazines reported that the Z80 helped generate the Genesis's sound. Guess that was a faux pax! So basically the Z80's only purpose was to allow backwards compatibility?

It works with the Genesis 1 and 2, but not 3.  The reason is that the 3 doesn't have the z80 chip which is used for the SMS.  It will also work on a Laseractive if you take the case off so it fits in the slot.

Tempest

Really??? Back in the day, some magazines reported that the Z80 helped generate the Genesis's sound. Guess that was a faux pax! So basically the Z80's only purpose was to allow backwards compatibility?

Actually, a lot of games exhibited sound glitches in the Genny 3. You can kill the z80 in Gens and try it yourself.

Regarding the 32x, Mars, and Master System adapter...

I suspect that it didn't work on the 32x because there was no way to short the Master System mode pin from the other side of the 32x. The Mars probably wouldn't have suffered that problem.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. If the pin was stolen for 32x use, that would kill it.

The Z80 in the Gen does both audio and backwards compatiblity, and the master system does the same trick, uses the SG-100's (or 300's?) main processer chip for audio. In the Gen 3, the Z80 functionality was incorporated into a custom chip, don't know how well though.

I love my CDX as an all purpose solution. Can plug in a 32x, PBC, or the genesis Virtua Racing cart, they all work. And they sure don't work with each other :)

It says either on the 32X box or in the owner's manual, I can't remember which, that the Mastersystem adaptor would not work if inserted in a 32X... why, I have no idea and I never tested it, but that's what it says.... if anybody has a 32X and a SMS adaptor try it and see what happens...I claim no responsibility if you subsequently fry your sega and/or blow up your house. :)

Like Virtua Racing, the PBC touches the Genesis hardware a little more closely than most of the games do, so the 32X interferes with it. Aren't there Genesis versions of Phantasy Star that are essentially the Master System game with a built-in PBC though? Anyone know if that works through a 32X?

And there WAS a prototype "Mars" system, which was a complete Sega Frankenstien in one Saturn-style case.

Actually, I do remember that, and to this day, I'm still very dissapointed that it never came out... but even the mars would've only been Genny, SCD and 32X, it wouldnt've supported SMS (unless the adaptor would work)

If I recall correctly, "Mars" was actually Sega's in-development name for the 32X before it was released. Try opening up your 32X and you'll see "MARS" written on the circuit boards! Some other planetary names Sega used:

• - The in-development name for the Nomad

[*]Neptune - A planned (and later canned) system that would have been a Genesis with a built-in 32X (but no SegaCD). Pictures of this one were seen in magazines and such.

[*]Saturn - Of course, we all know this one.

[*]Jupiter - Back when Sega was planning a 32-bit console, the Jupiter seems to have been a name used for a potential cartridge-based system. The idea was quickly scrapped in favor of a CD-based system (which eventually became the Saturn). The technology eventually gave way to the 32X.

I don't think Sega ever really planned to have a "Genesis + SegaCD + 32X" system.... after all, it would have been more expensive to make than a Saturn.

--Zero

It says either on the 32X box or in the owner's manual, I can't remember which, that the Mastersystem adaptor would not work if inserted in a 32X... why, I have no idea and I never tested it, but that's what it says.... if anybody has a 32X and a SMS adaptor try it and see what happens...I claim no responsibility if you subsequently fry your sega and/or blow up your house. :)

Like Virtua Racing, the PBC touches the Genesis hardware a little more closely than most of the games do, so the 32X interferes with it. Aren't there Genesis versions of Phantasy Star that are essentially the Master System game with a built-in PBC though? Anyone know if that works through a 32X?

I was under the impression that some lines needed for the 32x and Virtua Racing aren't run to the Gen3 cart slot.

If I recall correctly, "Mars" was actually Sega's in-development name for the 32X before it was released. Try opening up your 32X and you'll see "MARS" written on the circuit boards!

Indeed.

Some other planetary names Sega used:

• - The in-development name for the Nomad

[*]Neptune - A planned (and later canned) system that would have been a Genesis with a built-in 32X (but no SegaCD). Pictures of this one were seen in magazines and such.

[*]Saturn - Of course, we all know this one.

[*]Jupiter - Back when Sega was planning a 32-bit console, the Jupiter seems to have been a name used for a potential cartridge-based system. The idea was quickly scrapped in favor of a CD-based system (which eventually became the Saturn). The technology eventually gave way to the 32X.

I don't think Sega ever really planned to have a "Genesis + SegaCD + 32X" system.... after all, it would have been more expensive to make than a Saturn.

--Zero

I'm pretty sure I saw pics of an all-in-one Frankenstein unit.

You SURE Neptune had no CD-ROM?

Would've been funny if they'd gone in planetary order.

BTW, add the Saturn-based Titan arcade hardware to the list. Titan, of course, is a moon of Saturn.

And I have to admit, I was always disappointed that the Saturn had no ROM cart games. Would've been nice if the expansion slot could boot small games. Or even take Genny carts(yes, I know it's silly, but I recall hearing rumors to the effect that it would).

I know that nobody's going to know this firsthand, but does anyone know if, since the Master System is downwardly compatible with Sega's SG-1000 console, can SG-1000 carts be played through the Master System converter?

No it's not. The SG-1000 & SG-3000 carts are a completely different shape than the SMS carts (more like a Colecovision cart). The SMS can probably play Mark III carts though, I don't know if there was any regional lock out on those (I doubt it).

Tempest

Mark III carts won't work either. They're the same size as SG-1000/SC-3000 carts. They also have a different pinout, so you'll need to build a converter of some sort. Mark III carts have no lockout, but you'll need to enable the Japanese BIOS in the SMS to play Mark III games.

Are you sure Sega never released their Genesis 32X combo?  I swear I saw one in a pawn shop at one time or other.  Never gave it a thought at it's $300 or so price though. :  But I thought it had a funny name like kantana or something?

No, they never released the Neptune. I think the farthest they got was a plastic mockup.

Neptune never had a CD-ROM drive. To my knowledge, they never even produced a prototype, but there was a mock-up made from a Genesis 2 case and "32X" was written on it. The idea was that they would have the Genny and the 32x in one unit, but Sega Japan nixed the idea.

I wish the Neptune would have come out, my old Genesis/32X set-up was too quirky to use on a regular basis.

Wasn't there a guy here on the AtariAge forums, about a year and a half ago, that was claiming he bought a Neptune in a thrift store? He kept layering on the lies about it, even claiming that it had a CD-ROM drive built-in, and then when asked for proof, he disappeared. Just trying to stir things up, and lie his ass off.