IGNORED

The 24 position Game-Selex is up on Ebay!!

70topps

$695 and not even a full day yet  :skull:  

Any taker on how high this would end up?

Probably not higher than Marco's billfold. :-)

Which brings up an interesting question.

Marco, why do you bid so much as a proxy bid, doesn't it cost you a lot more money to obtain something this way? Talk about SpeedCollectors©®™. :ponder: :P

I don't see the difference: either the bidding war (between two or more regular bidders) takes place during the course of the auction, or it takes place in the final seconds (two or more snipers). The result is the same.

Cheers,

Marco

The difference is that in the final seconds, the combatants only have a chance to fire off one snipe each, thus the highest snipe wins and no one has time to answer the other's bid. In a conventional bid war the combatants have as much time as is left in the auction to pick each other off the high bidder position. Granted, snipes are likely to be higher in bid than early bids, which are usually as little as is enough to bump the high bidder off, but that just leaves plenty of room for more of those kind of bids -- and those who bid more often have more time and effort invested in the auction, and so are much more likely to bid the auction up higher than if they'd just sniped and hoped for the best.

Remember, those $15 Froggers and $30 joystick sets are more often the restuls of bidding wars than sniper frenzies.

I can see how that would work with lower-priced items, but in the case of really desireable UR items, I think it really doesn't matter. The people who want those items are gonna bid anyway, beit during or at the end of the auction. and as these must-check-mental-sanity bidders have more or less the same idea of value of this kind of items, I don't see a lot of effect from the bidding tactic on the height of the winning bid.

Cheers,

Marco

I can see how that would work with lower-priced items, but in the case of really desireable UR items, I think it really doesn't matter. The people who want those items are gonna bid anyway, beit during or at the end of the auction. and as these must-check-mental-sanity bidders have more or less the same idea of value of this kind of items, I don't see a lot of effect from the bidding tactic on the height of the winning bid.

Cheers,

Marco

Marco,

Please bid on all of my items. This kind of thinking really helps sellers. As a buyer you are better off to snipe unless your computer goes down or the company that you use to snipe has problems placing the snipe.

I tried sniping for a while, but I never got the items I wanted below the value I expected those items to reach. In many cases, I did not get the item I was bidding on at all.

There is no doubt in my mind that this particular item would have gone just as high either with early bidding or sniping. More or less unique items like prototype boxes, a boxed Lochjaws or Air Raid will reach their current market value no matter what tactic the bidders use.

I am sure every bidder in this particular auction would have bid as high as he did, beit during or at the end of the auction. On the one hand, these are crazy people (yeah, me too); on the other hand, they have a pretty good clue what items are worth. Of course, unexpected (high or low) results do occur, but mostly it's all pretty predictable.

So, you guys keep using those sniper programs. If they work for you, let them work some more. Old-fashioned proxy bidding seems to work for me, so I'll stick to that.

Cheers,

Marco

It gives the bidders time to think and chip away at your auction. When I first looked at this item. I was thinking I would snipe it at $600 . If it was at $300 and I sniped it at $600 in the last seconds and you sniped it at $800 I would not be able to react . Now that i see it will go for about 1k, I have plenty of time to think about it . I wouldn't have even thought about bidding over $600 O/W. :D

Why did you bother bidding already then? I guess you don't believe in your own sniping theory either   :P  

Cheers,

Marco

I have a bad habbit of forgetting auctions even when I have them on my watch list. Since this item has all ready gone insane, It doesn't matter what any one does now. Now ebay will remind me when it is about to end. Besides my watch list is full now. :P

If it was at $300 and I sniped it at $600 in the last seconds and you sniped it at $800 I would not be able to react . Now that i see it will go for about 1k, I have plenty of time to think about it .  I wouldn't have  even thought about bidding over $600 O/W.  :D

I find it strange to see that you would bid more than you intended to, just because someone else is perhaps even crazier than you. I usually decide what an item is worth to me and in 95% of all cases I stick to that. I go by the assumption that almost all Atari 2600 items will sooner or later be available again, usually at a better price.

There are hardly any items in my collection that I regret paying for what I did. The few items that remind me of costly mistakes are there to make me think first before I bid :)

Cheers,

Marco

Hehehe, you place a $685 "watch bid" and you call ME crazy? :D

Cheers,

Marco

Why did you bother bidding already then? I guess you don't believe in your own sniping theory either   :P  

Cheers,

Marco

I have a bad habbit of forgetting auctions even when I have them on my watch list. Since this item has all ready gone insane, It doesn't matter what any one does now. Now ebay will remind me when it is about to end. Besides my watch list is full now. :P

Kinda hard to know what one of a kind items go for. So I thought this was a $600 Items. Where I got that number. I don't know Gut fealing. Others seem to think it is worth more. So now I get to sit back and thank this whole auction through. Instead sniping and trying to figure it out in the last few seconds. I always have a price in mind. Some times I will not go over it. On harder to find items I really never know. :)

Hehehe, you place a $685 "watch bid" and you call ME crazy?  :D  

Cheers,

Marco

Cheers,

Marco

When i see this bidding frenzy I knew it will go for around 1k or more. So it didn't really matter . Just did it to be sure I wouldnt't forget the auction. :)