IGNORED

Greetings from the newly addicted!!! My 2600 just arrived..

That80sGuy

Do they have a toll free number? I haven't found one on their site.  

There's a regular phone number (no toll free...use a cell phone) for them you can find at the bottom of their ordering instructions:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ordering.htm

They're much better to deal with over the phone than they are through Email. They'll also just tell you to call them if you have a lot of questions anyway.

Well I've already found a PS cheaper.  If they had an 800 number I'd call but I don't have time to run up long distance charges across country.  And they may be the best Atari parts source but I would rather use a site that has a shopping cart feature.  :roll:

The reason they and any other site like that don't have a shopping cart feature is that more often than not people do not know what they need in order to make a specific repair. Honestly, if you don't want to deal with them, you're better off just buying another unit.

Well, why not just unsolder the switch, disassemble and rebuild it? I've done that a few times with ordinary slide switches to fix things like bent sliding contacts, or dried grease inside. Sometimes all you need to do is re-crimp the metal tabs that hold it together, and spray it with contact cleaner. If you do take it apart, just be careful not to lose the tiny sliding contacts or the springs that push against them (if yours use separate springs).

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Long story short..but I had COMPLETELY forgotten about this little shop less than 3mi from my work that sells used games and systems of ALL types. So I run over there after work and get a new PS. Rushed home and plugged up the ol' VCS and IT WORKED. IT was like Christmas 1980 all over again. I have to ad mit to a few red eyed tears...all the great memories flooded back. And just like that Christmas 25 years ago the first cart I plugged in was Combat. Oh the JOY!

The place I got the PS from also sells used carts both loose and BOXED!!

AS for the Jr well if I don't ge it workin its history.

Hey AJ... Do I know you from a prop building board???

Ok .. Here is the list of what I got for under 80 dollars on e-bay (includes shipping)

Consoles:

Atari 2600 VCS - working

Atari Jr. - almost works

4 paddle controllers

5 joysticks

1 keypad

1 trackball

Atari Games:(number indicates multiples)

Yars Revenge - 3

Mario Bro.

Indy 500

Vanguard - 2

Asteroids - 2

Realsports Football

Football

Missle Command

Pac-Man - 2

Jungle Hunt

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Superman

Combat - 2

Mousetrap

Defender - 2

Realsports Volleyball

Sword Quest

Star Raiders -2

Video Chess

3D Tic-Tac-Toe

Kangaroo

Backgammon

Dig-Doug

Taz

Adventure

Pole Position

BattleZone

Berzerk - 2

Demons to Diamonds

Realsports Boxing

Off the Wall

Warlords

Activision:

Ghostbusters

Decathalon

Kaboom

Mattel:

Kool-Aid Man

Astroblast

Parker Bros:

Frogger

Q-Bert

Tigervision:

Threshold

Sega:

Buck Rogers

US Games:

Gopher

Mythicon:

Star Fox

Double Ender by XONOX

Chuck Norris Superkick / Artillery Dual

Ghost Manor / Spikes Peak

NON-working titles:

Keystone Capers - Activision

Star Wars Jedi Arena - Parker Bros.

Mega Mania - Activision

Boxing - Activision

Tutankham - Parker Bros.

Soccer - Mattel.

I haven't tested all the paddles and joysticks yet.

Later!!

I don't yet have any of the cartridges that you have dupes of - if you want to sell them for cheap-to-reasonable I'll take 'em - except that I only need 1 of Yars' Revenge, and I'd prefer to get a Star Raiders CIB rather than just a loose cart.

Also, which SwordQuest title did you get? Earthworld, Fireworld or Waterworld?

I'm sure some of the hackers and homebrewers around here would take the dead carts from you if you don't want them.

:D Yup I'm pretty proud of myself! The only problem is there are no manuals for ANYTHING. Where can I get manuals on PDF?

AJ, I'd be more than happy to work a deal for ya on the Atari Jr and the extra carts. Heck..I might just be willing to work a trade if you have any prop parts I need. Just E-mail me direct.

:roll: Duh! I should have looked at the site more carefully.  Everyhting I need is here! :D

Yep... a one stop shop for all things Atari. :) Mind you, half the fun of some of these games is rediscovering them al fresco -- just working it out yourself, occasionally flying by the wire of your youthful rememberances. At least until you can't figure the rest out and you resort to the manuals. :-) (As I had to do when rediscovering Raiders and E.T...)

NON-working titles:

Mega Mania - Activision

Boxing - Activision

Tutankham - Parker Bros.

Soccer - Mattel.

Don't give up on these prematurely. Their contacts probably just need a really good cleaning. You may also get them to work if you wiggle them slightly in the cartridge slot before you turn on the power, especially the Activision titles.

NON-working titles:

Mega Mania - Activision

Boxing - Activision

Tutankham - Parker Bros.

Soccer - Mattel.

Don't give up on these prematurely. Their contacts probably just need a really good cleaning. You may also get them to work if you wiggle them slightly in the cartridge slot before you turn on the power, especially the Activision titles.

Yeah I think it's been said that Activision carts have a thinner PCB and that sometimes makes them a little tough to get started.

Also any cart without the dust shield, like all the ones you're having trouble with are most likely dirtier than the shielded carts, and may need some additional cleaning to the contacts to get them working.

They're tougher than you might think!

You can always poke a screwdriver through the front label &....

RESTORE TO NEW!

ie, clean contacts with 220 grit sandpaper!

(I take no responsibility if you destroy your labels & fubar your games, this is a joke!)