IGNORED

2600 Lord of the Rings Discovered!

Albert

How do you make this ROM work on the Mac version of Stella?

I downloaded the latest Stella.pro append file and autotyper program and have followed the directions, but all I get when I start the game is a black screen and some strange noises.

Am I going to have to use BBEdit to hack the contents of the Stella.pro file? The reason I ask is because the workarounds featured here are almost always for the Wintel/PC Atari emulators.

NovaNebraska--

The four characters hiding from the riders are the four hobbitts Frodo, Sam, Pippin, and Merry. Besides the foreground riders, this scene appears in the Bakshai movie (when they first leave from Bag-End and are almost discovered by a solitary wraith). Since the other characters are found later in both the game and the story, I'd assume that the smaller red character represents one or all of Frodo's companions. I believe that Legolas is the one with the bow (since no others in the party uses one and they find him in the forest before Gandalf saves them at the river).

Lost Monkey--

That is correct as far as the story goes...Gandalf was imprisoned by Saron until the party reaches the river (which does NOT "kill" the wraiths...since they are already dead). It's Gandalf who creates the illusion of white horses in the river. My guess is that the programmer used the white character to represent him, however, since Aragorn leads you to him (and the way he keeps leaving the party is similar to The Hobbitt).

ubersaurus--

That is true as well, since they don't catch Gollum until after they leave the mines and get split up (The Two Towers).

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

I downloaded the latest Stella.pro append file and autotyper program and have followed the directions, but all I get when I start the game is a black screen and some strange noises.

Sounds like the profile is not being read properly.

You have to name the append file "stella.pro" (without the quotes) or append it to an existing "stella.pro". The stella profile information is simply text.

If you want the entire latest Stella profile file it's available on my Stella profile page. It now includes the Lord of the Rings information. Unzip the stella.pro file from the stella.zip file linked on the page into the same folder with the Stella application. Don't forget to increase the Stella application's memory allocation by a few megabytes (use the Mac's Get Info command on the Stella application) when using the "big" Stella profile file (the zipped one on my page).

Voch

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Voch ]

VOCH,

IT WORKS! I downloaded the older version of the stella.pro file, not the one that was at the top of your page.

I downloaded the the lotr_stella.pro append file, unzipped and renamed to "stella.pro" and then dropped this into my Stella folder. Upon bootup, LOTR NOW WORKS PROPERLY!

Thanks for clarifying this!

I hate to say it, but this game really sucks! There may be 2000 screens, but most are just repeated tree patterns that seemingly go on forever.

What is the point of the game? If you press fire, you hear a whistle and a bird appears. Once in a while, some monster attacks you and you seeminly have no way to attack it or defend yourself.

The reason you can't attack the Nazgul is because in the book the Hobbits had no defense, all they could do was run and hide (which you have to do). The whole point of the game is to gather up people and get to Rivendale. I'll admit though it's not exactly the most exciting game out there. A B in my book. Maybe it just wasn't finsihed?

Tempest

Amazing...absolutely amazing. I remember as a kid looking at the Parker Brothers catalog and dreaming of getting to play The Lord of the Rings. It's almost like a dream right now, I can't believe it. Very, very cool find guys, one of my lifelong searches has ended.

Info:

After you loose Bilbo (the red guy) just go back about 6 screens to pick him up again.

The score is calulated from the time you used, the people that are with you, the wounds, how far away you are from Rivendell and some yet unidentified states.

Each day is divided into 16 intervalls, and each intervall costs you 200 points.

The distance to Rivendell is also multiplied with 200.

Each wound costs 100 point

Gandalf? (pink) is worth 4000 points

Bilbo? (red) is worth 3000 points

You can get 5000 and 9900 points for yet unidentified people/items (A+B). (The white and the blue guy?)

And you can extras bonus for:

ItemC = 50000

ItemC + Gandalf + Bilbo = 110000

ItemC + Gandalf + Bilbo + ItemD = 210000

The items C+D could be special actions or states of the game. More info later

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

I downloaded the the lotr_stella.pro append file, unzipped and renamed to "stella.pro" and then dropped this into my Stella folder. Upon bootup, LOTR NOW WORKS PROPERLY!

Well, if you want settings for all known Atari 2600 ROM dumps feel free to download my Stella profile file. It'll include the settings for Lord of the Rings and about 1600 other games. I try to keep it up to date (just added four new entries this morning).

Voch

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Voch ]

quote:

Originally posted by ccc---:

Any plans on releasing this game complete with box and instructions like Elevator Action and Combat II??? I think it would be worth it and there exists already a box ... maybe CGE 2k2?

Now what do we have here? The possible first case of people being sued over the (new) release of an old videogame? With all this exposure it sounds like not the smartest thing to do...

Cheers,

Marco

I wonder if Hozer would have any problems with burning this game onto a cartridge (Moral problems that is, not technical)... then you could just add your own label, and make a box if you want. It wouldn't be very professional, but I'd like to do this someday.

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by NovaNebraska:

Notice that on the LOTR box there are four characters hiding from the Riders. I can't make them out but a closer look should reveal ther true identity of the mystery characters.

The four characters in the background are Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. It's taken from a scene from the original Ralph Bakshi movie version of Lord of the Rings.

Originaly posted by Ze_ro:

I wonder if Hozer would have any problems with burning this game onto a cartridge (Moral problems that is, not technical)...then you could just add your own label, and make a box if you want. It wouldn't be very professional, but I'd like to do this someday.

You must've read my mind. I sent the ROM to Randy and asked if it was possible to burn this onto a cart. He said no, because the Parker Brothers bankswitching is different (more complex) than the standard Atari bankswitching. Unless someone here has a degree in electrical engineering and can figure out the logistics, you won't be seeing this game in cart form anytime soon.

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

Now what do we have here? The possible first case of people being sued over the (new) release of an old videogame? With all this exposure it sounds like not the smartest thing to do...

Cheers,

Marco

You're probably right Marco, yeah. But it is a pity, because "we" have the game and the box ... it would've been so easy (except for those technical problems) ...

Larry Gelberg passed on some info about what he recalls about the game (from playing it years ago):

"Basically it was an all-out race from the the Shire to Rivendell with the Ring Wraiths chasing you. You couldn't defend yourself, and your only choice besides running like hell, was to wear the ring or not. With the ring on, the Wraiths went faster but less accurately, but with the ring off, they could see you, but weren't as incensed. If you made it to Rivendell, you won and went onto the next level, which was essentially the same but faster. How good is my memory here?"

So it appears the game is complete. Just not as complete as we would like

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]