IGNORED

Intellivision -> Atari 2600 port 2

Cybergoth

Which of these Intellivision games should be ported to the 2600?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Intellivision games should be ported to the 2600?

• AD&D Cloudy Mountain
    • Diner
    • Shark! Shark!
    • Thunder Castle
    • Tower of Doom
    • Utopia
    • Vectron
    • The Dreadnaught Factor
    • Happy Trails
    • Worm Whomper

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

Do you really think that Dreadnaught Factor is doable?

Hm... maybe like the 5200 version, which is scrolling vertical?

We already have a Shark Shark for the 2600 being developed

So there goes your vote if you want to motivate vdub_bobby to make his game closer to Inty Shark! Shark! :)

and there's already a version of Happy Trails out there called LocoMotion that we'll probably never get to play.

But the Intellivision had both Happy Trails and LocoMotion ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

I used to play Utopia on my grandparent's Aquarius computer :)

You poor, poor man. That should be considered partental abuse.

I'd love Thunder Castle. Actually, i'd love Diner more, but I know that there is no chance the 2600 could ever pull it off. Thunder Castle could work pretty well, possibly with the Pitfall II extra chip in the cart, that'll let the game play music continuously.

I used to play Utopia on my grandparent's Aquarius computer :)

You poor, poor man. That should be considered partental abuse.

Nah, man; I loved that thing :)

It did have, quite possibly, the worst keyboard of all time, though. But those games were well done and a lot of fun.

I was just googling the Aquarius, trying to find some screenshots of those games, and I found out that the Aquarius was only sold for something like 6 months! Funny that my grandpa happened to be looking for a computer for his grandkids to play with at exactly that time. Anyway, I wish we still had that thing - looks like it's rare enough that I'll never see one again, probably.

The Aquarius is fairly rare, but it won't cost you too much to find. Nobody really wants them. They don't hold too much sentimental value, either.

What would be a lot easier for you is to track down an Intellivision, and then a copy of Utopia. From everything i've heard, it's far superior to the Aquarius version. I personally love the Intelly version.

The Aquarius is fairly rare, but it won't cost you too much to find. Nobody really wants them. They don't hold too much sentimental value, either.  

What would be a lot easier for you is to track down an Intellivision, and then a copy of Utopia. From everything i've heard, it's far superior to the Aquarius version. I personally love the Intelly version.

That's good for me, I guess, since the Aquarius does hold some sentimental value for me. And I liked Utopia, but the game that ruled in our house was NightStalker. Tron was pretty sweet, too. But BioRhythms, oh man, that was the pinnacle! :D (Yes, my gramps had Biorhythms :)

This poll shows us just hoe few Intellivision games made a lasting impression. That's why Utopia is in the lead.

I don't think so. There's just not a ton of games to choose from because...

1. Many 3rd parties released games for both the intellivision and atari.

2. Mattel ported many of the games themselves under their MNetwork label.

3. There's a bunch of Imagic games not listed as choices in this poll. I think Swords and Serpents, Truckin', Dracula, and a couple others would have been fairly popular options.

Hi there!

I don't mean to be insulting, but I do mean to be critical.

What is the purpose of this poll being a sticky?  

Does it serve no purpose other than curious interest?

Or is it a secret? if it is, just say so and I'll shut my face.  :lol:  :lolblue:  :lol:

I'm trying to install this kind of polls as a monthly feature here on this board. At the beginning of a new month the sticky one gets replaced with a fresh one.

If there's no interest in such a feature I can stop it, I just thought it to be thought provocing and raising all kinds of interesting discussion.

It's main purpose is indeed "curious interest" only, but maybe some day it'll help someone choosing or starting a new project? You'll never know :)

Greetings,

Manuel

• 5 months later...
This poll shows us just hoe few Intellivision games made a lasting impression. That's why Utopia is in the lead.

790991[/snapback]

I don't know. I had an intellivision and maybe 20+ carts growing up and from what I recall most of the games listed in this poll with the exception of Utopia were released after I had already moved onto the atari 800.

I don't think these games represent INTV in its heyday, that is pre-crash INTV making the 2600 look bad with its technical prowess.

More representative would be games such as Major League Baseball, Utopia, Tron Deadly Disc, Astrosmash, Star Strike, B-17 Bomber, Nightstalker, AD&D, Armor Battle, Frog Bog, Skiing, Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, Space Battle and Auto Racing. These games were really fun and showed that good ol' George P. knew what he was talking about. The 2600 just couldn't come close.

Many people such as myself had moved onto 8bit computers after '82. Intellivision was an also-ran by this time.

Edited by retrocon