IGNORED

New contest!

Room 34

A programmer should be used to thinking in code!

You really want to confuse me completely, don't you? ;)

More things to :ponder: about:

- z = 26th letter of the alphabet

- z26 = 2626 = zz

- 26 = 11010

- 26h = 38 = 100110

- z = zero-flag

- zero = 0 = O

One of your interpretations is correct ;)

is there a trick to puzzle #2?

As a fairly new-bie, I don't think it's too unfair to say that the last game name I found was unexpected; I wasn't even aware that it had been made into a 2600 game. I did have to resort to going through the rarity guide game by game to find it.

The same method hasn't worked for puzzle #5 though. I just don't have the patience to study every box, cart, and manual image in there to try to find what title slice #4 represents - I already tried all those that seemed likely, and many that didn't, without finding a match.

I just started the puzzles (got through #1 quickly enough), but I'm also stuck on #2. I've entered what I thought must have been correct, and several variations on it to be safe, but I'm apparently stuck.

I must be missing something terribly obvious. I've repeatedly searched through the database, too. If someone wouldn't mind PM'ing the number of games I should be looking for, that would be appreciated.

This reminds me of getting stuck on Pitfall Harry's last contest. :ponder:

If someone wouldn't mind PM'ing the number of games I should be looking for, that would be appreciated.

On every part, the solution input field is the exact length of the answer. Fill it up, no more (which is impossible, of course), no less, and you'll be on the right track.

I wanted to slap myself after someone told me what slice #4 is, it's the first game I had guessed that it might be, and I had looked at it over and over for several days but not matched it up to the game art properly!

Of course, now that I know what all the games are, I still can't get the right answer... looks like part 5 will be the end of the line for me unless there's another hint coming.

Oh well.

THE BIG HINT POST!

Since some of you are losing steam (and even worse, interest), I'm going to provide some big hints to get everyone up to speed, including some less oblique clues to #5 (but #5 is as far as I will go).

GENERAL CLUE (as noted before)

All of the solution input boxes are the exact length of the required solution. They are not case-sensitive. Your solution, in every case, will be a somewhat random set of letters.

PART ONE

No clues should be necessary. It's just a matter of hunting down the titles.

PART TWO

All the game titles start with D. Any game in the AtariAge archives (including NTSC, PAL, pirates, and protos) is fair... uh... game. But ALL of them ARE in the AtariAge archives.

PART THREE

The titles are not the answer. California Games gives you a clue. Look up!

PART FOUR

This is another one that's mainly a hunt through the AtariAge archives. Think carefully. As others have learned with my contests before, a lot of these can be Googled (if they're in HTML format). A few are in here as scans only though.... :twisted: But there's nothing tricky about it once you figure out the games.

PART FIVE

Ah, the big stumper. Just identifying the games could be hard. (I use this kind of puzzle a lot, and it would probably be really difficult for me, but some of you have solved these VERY quickly in the past, so I needed to add a few twists.)

Think carefully about the manufacturer of each game. See a pattern? Then think again about the two clues I provided with the puzzle:

HINT #1

Atari games did not exist when Gertrude Stein uttered, "A rose is a rose is a rose."

How does this apply to Atari games?

HINT #2

Z26

What to make of this? A clue: It has nothing to do with the emulator (or the car). Perhaps consider... Z = 26.

:ponder:

Good luck!