IGNORED

New contest!

Room 34

I'm just glad there ARE people who are solving #5... proves I didn't create something COMPLETELY impossible.  :)

Don't be so sure. A day later and I still have no idea to even *begin* #7 :)

(actually, I think I may have noticed something regarding the colors, but I can't see how it applies to anything else. And what in the world is that blue iPod Shuffle symbol? From the text box I know the number of characters needed for the solution, but I have no idea why)

So let's see how people handle #7 and I'll decide if I need to provide some clues.

Still have no idea what to do with #7. I see a couple of possible patterns with the colors, but as to how that yields any sort of solution...well, I've tried a couple of responses, but at this point it feels like that's just the first two of the infinite number of monkeys pounding on the keyboard :)

I have no idea why things are the color they are (i.e. why aren't the two N's in "NINE" colored red?), and what that symbol underneath the "NINE" represents. And why is the solution the number of characters that it is? And what's the deal with airline food? (okay, now I've somehow segued into a Seinfeld routine :) )

Confused but continuing to stare at it...it's kinda hypnotic...green and blue and red....preeeeetttttttttttttttttttttyyyy.....

Yes, I realize that, but I've never really understood what, exactly, that statement is supposed to mean, let alone how it applies here.

A quotation from John Brockman attempting to explain it:

Through an emphasis on such stylistic devices as repetition she used language to deny meaning and representational concerns. As she pointed out, she would "write as if the fact of writing something were continually becoming true and completing itself, not as if it were leading to something." A rose is a rose is a rose. And a universe is a universe is a universe.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/jiji_muge/isarose.html

I debated using this quote as the hint, or using the Magritte painting shown below...

OOH! New hint!

And yes, I am now stuck on part 5, with slices 2 and 4 unaccounted for (and 2 tricky tricks discovered).

I still have no clue about the second hint (understanding the reference but not the metaphor?), though perhaps in a roundabout way I have a small understanding of how the first applies - but aren't hints supposed to be understood BEFORE the puzzle is solved? They aren't much good afterward...

The Magritte painting would be even worse!

Be sure to consider the second clue as well.

That's the one, which makes no sense to me at all. :ponder:

What could it mean? Use the last letters? The last, but 26th (or 8th, 2nd and 6th???)? :? Ask Eckhard and John for the solution? ;)

I tried that and am now running out of ideas...