IGNORED

Thing I never knew.

moycon

I was looking thru the Columbia House Atari 2600 Catalog Scan:

Catalog

A saw where you could buy KickMan!!?? For the 2600??? Is this right? I never heard this game was released? How could they offer to sell it? Any info? Also check out the rare games they used to offer...I had no idea they sold so many different games!

If your asking me about the 2600 game i have no clue ive never seen or heard about it, but the arcade game was fun.

You had a ball controller and you had to go side to side catching balloons on your head and dodge the bombs that people threw out of windows on each side of the screen (i think there were bombs but i could be thinking of some other game)

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

there is another ad here

http://www.digitpress.com/dpsightz/misc/ch6p1.jpg

this looks like a lot of effort for a haox, All the other titles appear legit. Does anyone know anything about this? If this is the real deal where is the ROM? If this is a fake why bother to go through this much trouble. It is not an a catalog (like the Incredible Hulk Parker Brothers Deal), but a game for sale. I am very surprised no one saw this before.

The game was probably just never released. After all, you see ads for McDonalds and Lord Of The Rings in some of the Parker Bros. catalogs. Sure, it seems strange that Columbia House would advertise it before it was available... but it was probably canned at the last minute. That screenshot in the second ad looks like the game was pretty much finished (The pic looks authentic too). Perhaps there's a proto of it somewhere.... CGE2K2 anyone?

This game is actually a pretty good one too... I've had the C64 version since I was a kid. It's a simple enough game that a 2600 conversion would be just as good.

--Zero

Yeah I know all about Kickman. I still remember it from the arcades as well. And I have played the c64 version to death...It seems to me the cart I have on the C64 you can only go so many levels (its alot) and then no new balloons appear!!! Also It wasnt just balloons in the C64 and the arcade game...PacMan and Ghosts would also show up!! Anyways...Its the 2600 version Im talking about...It does seem very wierd that CHouse would offer it FOR SALE!!! I mean I can see an ad popping up in a magazine or catalog for a game that wasnt ready to be released...ala...Octo*****, LOTR, Hulk etc... But this was a game listed for sale!! Was it a Columbia House exclusive? Did no one try to buy the thing back in the day?? The whole topic requires some insite!! I demand to know about KICKMAN 2600!!!! Errr Ok Im geeked up on too much coffee...Sorry.

I did see a listing in a 2600 cartridge list that mentioned Kickman as never released...

List

Its listed under CBS Electronics. Its just weird to me that CHouse would offer the thing for sale!

For anyone who has never played Kickman.

Here's a description.

You are this clown on a unicycle and you have a pointy hat. The balloons fall out of the sky and you have to pop them on your hat, if the get past you, you can kick them with your feet. After the first level, you have to catch the balloons on your head.

It's a super fun game and quite addictive. I used to play it on the C=64 alot.

As I said in this thread, I'm no longer terribly surprised when long-lost prototypes of unreleaesd games suddenly turn up. Several prototypes of games no one even knew were in development showed up this year, so games that were actively advertised are even better candidates for existing somewhere in prototype form. Kickman was definitely never released, there's no doubt about that. It would be cool if it shows up someday, but I think our odds are much better of playing Mike Mika's version, should he ever complete it.

..Al

I think it would be interesting to hear what happened to anyone who actually placed an order for KickMan from Columbia House. I mean Screen-Shot, Box Picture, even a listed price. This one had to be well along in development. Im really suprised this one avoided attention for so long. A search for Atari Kickman on a search engine reveals very little...Theres more hits on the new one being made then any mention of the CBS one.

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

hehe, lemmi ... you should just have kept on doin that

LOL jahfish thanks a bunch

but what is weird about my senior year in H.S. is i made the honor roll for the first time in 5 years of H.S. (8th grade to 12th)

with a 3.4 grade point average that whole year

*shrugs*

A couple comments:

I've seen those Kickman ads before, but I've never heard of anyone having seen the game. It was not unusual to advertise games that weren't complete (or in some cases not even started), so that Kickman ads doesn't mean too much unless someone actually saw it once.

Also Moycon, the VGR list you referred to is extremely out of date. The Kickman entry is basically accurate, but theres lots of stuff that isn't, just FYI.

It's possible there's a proto out there, but I wouldn't get your hopes up until we can find someone who can verify that it ever existed in the first place.

As for the screenshots, one of them is obviously a mockup, as they are drastically different. The AGH shot looks more like a mockup to me, the Columbia House screenshot looks plausible.

Leonard Herman, are you reading? Ever see this one?

Octopüssy. There, I said it (did you blush?)

"I was at this girl's house...and she had the best püssy that...Oh, now come on...I'm talking about her CAT! I'm sorry, but you just can't say anything these days without it being misconstrewed as being dirty. Now that really makes me mad. You people are SICK!

By the way...that cat was the best **** I've ever had." - Steve Martin (Comedy is not pretty)

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

Not only does that AGH screenshot not look like a 2600 screen, it actually looks like an Intelivision on (note the scoring font).

The screenshots from the ads on DP look more realistic. With all these different ads, you know the game had to have been at least started...if not finished.

As someone else said, Mike's version looks better anyway Does anyone know what the progress is with that? It's been some time since it was mentioned in Next Gen...

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]

Yeah I noticed right away that the goofy little pic I included was off a little. Definately Mattels 0's there. I just searched far and wide and thats all the stuff I found on KickMan. And like I said earlier I can understand someone advertising a game that was soon to be released...and then it never happened. But jeeze that sucker was FOR SALE. $27.99..Just is very strange that there doesn't seem to be much info about it, ya know? Oh well! Yes we can all look forward to the new one. And maybe in 15 years when they make a Kickman movie the CBS proto will come out.