IGNORED

I just got my Kroc Cart, and....

jetset

The program won't load.   :sad:  

I get a message  

The Database '.VCSBASE.MDB' could not be opened

I tried loading the program from the cd, then copied it onto my HD, then tried both ways on another computer...nothing....

Any ideas ?

Both the application and the database have to be in the same directory on your harddrive. Then you should be able to start the application. If you can't find the database on your CD, please go to http://www.arminvogl.de/KrokodileCartridge/

and download it from there. You can also download the Krokodile Commander from there. If you are still having trouble, please PM me :-)

Does the file "VCSBASE.MDB" exist in the same directory as the program?

If not, try this:

- Open Notepad (or whatever text editor you use)

- Save the blank file as "VCSBASE.MDB" and place it in the same directory as the progam.

I know nothing about the Krok, but it's my guess the database file is one that's created from scratch when you compile a list of files to upload to the cart, but for some reason the program itself, which is probably designed to look for the file, didn't have have an elseif condition in there to tell it what to do if it didn't find the file. (An easy oversight to make from a coder's standpoint -- you create one during testing and it forever stays there during testing and you eventually forget the bit about what would happen if it's missing)

That's just a guess, though.

Does the file "VCSBASE.MDB" exist in the same directory as the program?

If not, try this:

- Open Notepad (or whatever text editor you use)

- Save the blank file as "VCSBASE.MDB" and place it in the same directory as the progam.

That's just a guess, though.

No, don't create the file yourself ! Copy it from the CD or download it from my site. The application can not create it. It is part of the application and has to be copied to the drive together with the Krokodile Commander.

Nope.

The Kroc.exe program and the vcsbase.mdb are pre-loaded in the same directory right off the CD, which is where I tried loading it from first. I then copied the whold CD to my hard drive and still the same result.

I also downloaded both the kroc.exe v1.0 and the MDB file form the website (both are apparently newer versions than what's loaded on the CD btw) and tried those. Same result!

Mine just arrived today too, and I got the same error message. It was easily fixed by copying Krokodile Commander to the hard disk, getting properties on the two files in that directory, and unchecking the read-only box.

I'm finally playing Elk Attack on my console. :)

That didn't work for me. :sad:

That didn't work for me. icon_frown.gif

Sorry to hear that. When I make vcsbase.mdb read-only it doesn't load. When I make it readable it does. Until you getting it working, at least you can put in your Krokodile cart into the VCS as is and check out some cool Chronocolour graphics. (or is that Khronocolour? :))

Looks like this is something I'm going to have to fix for the next batch of carts and CDs that go out. It didn't dawn on me that the files copied from the CD would be read-only, which of course makes sense since the CD itself is read-only. I'm not sure this can be solved without having to put together an installer script. I'll send email out to everyone who's been sent a Krokodile Cart explaining how to get around this.

..Al

I'm starting to think the program doesnt like Windows 98.  My Laptop has XP and I unchecked the 'read-only' and it works.  Only problem is not many computers made in the last 4 years have serial ports, theyre all usb.

I've run it on Windows 2000 and Windows XP without any problems, but I don't have any Windows 98 boxes I can try it on. Not sure what Armin is running.

..Al