IGNORED

Frogger II rarity.

King Atari

I posted this on the rarity board, but there wasn't much action there, so I'm putting it here. Who else besides me and Atari-Jess think the rarity of "Frogger II" should be knocked up to a 7? It's getting harder to find, what with all the new Frogger games and all. PS-Who else thinks "Dark Chambers" should be a 3 or 4?

I don't think it's rare enough to be a 7... sure, it doesn't show up all that often, but I think it's a solid 6 (There's one on eBay right now with a BIN of $21 if anyone's interested. I never liked it much myself). As for Dark Chambers, I thought it was a 4... but for some reason, the rarity guide says 2? What's up with that?

--Zero

Compare it to other 7's and see what you think. And remember, cartridge rarity can vary regionally, we try to present a national picture. Even though you may rarely see it at the local flea market, it is easily available on the Internet if you're willing to pay $20 or so. I know many people don't like eBay, but it's a great barometer of rarity due to the fact that it's national/global in nature. I think it compares favorably to other 6's, most 7's are simply harder to find than that.

Also, I should point out that new Frogger games have no bearing on Frogger II getting more difficult to find. They might put it in more demand, driving the price up, but that doesn't make it more rare.

As for Dark Chambers, we should probably raise that up a bit. That used to be an Oshea's/AtariClassics game which was why it was rated so low, but they appear to have finally sold out.

Compare Frogger II to Stargunner by Telesys. For some reason, Stargunner is also a 6, but I think it's a lot more rare... and I've only seen one go through eBay since I registered my account (Although I haven't been actively searching for it).

However, this could be explained by the fact that people see Frogger II and think "Hey, Frogger is a classic! People will want this one!", whereas Stargunner is pretty obscure and unknown.

--Zero

I agree with ze-ro.I have only seen Stargunner on Ebay twice in 1 1/2 yrs;I believe I won the last one listed,unless there were more I did not see.Frogger II was rarer a year ago(when I paid too much for it then),now it seems to get listed on ebay 2 or 3 times a week.So,yeah it's just a name thing now for Frogger II and good luck getting Stargunner...

I had bids on the last copy of Stargunner I saw (which was about a month or so ago), but I let it slip, since I was already spending a lot on other games. On the plus side, I picked up a copy of SpaceMaster X-7, which is a better game in my opinion, and (apparently) equally as rare.

--Zero

Frogger II isn't that bad, 6 is about right, my recent problems have been with super cobra for the CV, I haven't been able to sell it with a buy it now for $3 twice now, Guess I'm just keeping it.

Atari, my issues are with HERO (4 years and probably at least 10,000 carts later and I finally got ONE), Miner 2049er, same amount of time, seen one. Pooyan, Zaxxon fairly rare. And I can't get rid of Starmaster for $1.

quote:

Originally posted by Sylentwulf:

Atari, my issues are with HERO (4 years and probably at least 10,000 carts later and I finally got ONE), Miner 2049er, same amount of time, seen one. Pooyan, Zaxxon fairly rare. And I can't get rid of Starmaster for $1.

I see H.E.R.O. fairly often on eBay... though it always ends up getting a little pricy. Same goes for Miner 2049'er, though it's slightly more rare. But Zaxxon? Rare? I find them all over the place!

--Zero

Albert If you all DO consider bumping Frogger 2 to a 7 . THEN consider bumping SHuttle Orbiter to a 8 then. cause Shuttle Orbiter is in a class higher than Frogger 2 in rarity. (still even though the Frogger 2 should be a 6 Shuttle orbiter shoudl be an 8. ( ok somehow i got off frogger 2 and got into shuttle orbiter

quote:

Also, I should point out that new Frogger games have no bearing on Frogger II getting more difficult to find. They might put it in more demand, driving the price up, but that doesn't make it more rare.

I just meant that if someone saw it a flea market etc. and they have some of the new versions, they might say "Cool, the original!", and buy it up.

quote:

As for Dark Chambers, we should probably raise that up a bit. That used to be an Oshea's/AtariClassics game which was why it was rated so low, but they appear to have finally sold out.

I'm not tyring to tell you how to do your job, but I'd suggest 3 or 4. BTW, was AtariClassics a division of O'Shea's? Anyways the've been sold out for awhile.

One thing to keep in guide with Rarity values is that they're not set in stone and you shouldn't use them as an absolute guide in determining a game's value or scarcity. Except for the most common carts (Combat) and the rarest ones (Video Life), there will always be some disagreement on what the exact rarity of any given game should be. We do tweak rarity values when necessary, such as raising the value of Dark Chambers now that O'Sheas has depleted their supply. For games like Frogger II it's a bit more difficult. I personally don't think Frogger II is as rare as Stargunner, or many of the other titles at a rarity of 7. Looking at an individual game relative to many others makes it a bit easier to judge its rarity. Here is a list of all the Rarity 6 games.

..Al

good idea: we need a new atari-club (the atariage veteran club) that is doing cartridge highscore lists .... everybody can submit an entry form with his rare carts and a foto of him and the items. so we can find out how much of these rare carts are around in people's collections ....

stuff like waterworld or surf's up appears pretty often. i always wondered about that amiga 'prototype': selfmade labels from the programmers ..... or massproduction labels from 10 years old indonese kids .... ?