IGNORED

Fatal Run

Atari-Jess

yeah, but, its just that a 32k 2600 game??

I HAVE TO HAVE IT, but now that I cant exactly fully enjoy it with my new TV that I wont be able to enjoy it on besides the damn colour thing...

And Ive yet to be able to get fatal run for MESS or v7800 to work, I prolly should get it but I dont know where.

quote:

Originally posted by Atari-Jess:

Man, I really wanted to get this game only to find out its PAL. ARGH!

WHY CANT EVERYONE HAVE THE SAME TYPE OF TELEVISION THINGY DO WHAT NOW!??

Yes, the lack of a universal television standard is quite aggravating. This continues to be an issue even when programming games today. I think for the PS2 version of Deus Ex we need to make sure the PAL screen resolution is properly supported. Unfortunately when you have millions and millions of televisions in an existing format, it's really hard to get people to switch to something new. Or even get enough companies and governments to agree to a new "standard".

You can always play Fatal Run in an emulator, and if you *really* want to see the game on your television, you can then pipe the output of your computer to your TV.

..Al

quote:

i know it does, it works good on z26 as well, but it has something in its code so it wont show the stupid pal colours, i want the actual cart man! and i dont want it now cause its PAL!

Are you saying there is a problem with the colours in the emulators? Stella, PCAE and Stella all allow you to select between NTSC and PAL colours for all games. z26 and Stella should play Fatal Run in PAL colours, and PCAE always defaults to NTSC colours. In PCAE and z26 you can change the palette with a special key. For Stella you need to change the STELLA.PRO file, if you prefer to play Fatal Run in NTSC colours. For z26 you should also use the -5 command line option, as this will allow you to play PAL games with a 50Hz refresh rate, just as they are meant to be.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

yeah cause metric is just SOO much easier!

I WEIGH 68 kilos

AND IM 1.76 meters tall!

AND COLOUR IS SPELLED WITH A U! A U!!!

Oh YEAH!?

I WEIGH 130 POUNDS!

I'M 5 foot, 11 inches!

AND COLOR IS SPELLED WITHOUT A U! THERE IS NO "U" SOUND IN COLOR!!!!!!

This Metric discussion is cracking me up.The first 'metric' laugh I got was when the U.S. teachers attempted to teach metric at the schools.The teachers did not quite 'get it', so the kids never got it.The only thing I remember that is metric, is Mork saying "Nano,nano"(Geez, is this generation getting that old!)--now back on topic--Pal is a pain,but if you want to collect the last red label games,without selling your car,you will break down and get a PAL copy.

quote:

yeah cause metric is just SOO much easier!

I WEIGH 68 kilos

AND IM 1.76 meters tall!

AND COLOUR IS SPELLED WITH A U! A U!!!

Well, the U in colour (and other words) obviously has nothing to do with metric... and metric DOES make more sense. All the conversions are simple. You guys are just too lazy to actually change over like the rest of the world already has

Seriously, I don't know why they don't just start making all speed limit signs have BOTH metric and imperial on them... and gradually phase out imperial.

--Zero

How dare you put the word 'logical' in the same sentance(or anywhere near it anyway) that the word 'government' is in!!!The US has already done the 'Kilometers/Miles' signs;they used to be everywhere,but now only on big interstate signs.People lost interest and lawyers put more laws on laws,and the merry-go-round goes 'round until you get dizzy and sick...but let's not let that get between the atari machine and us.

so most of my games suck, right?

Yes, the lack of a universal television standard is quite aggravating.  

personnally, i think it's as aggravating as the lack of US-collectors to get a pal-ntsc adapter or to make sure their TV or VCR supports both modes.

it's really stupid this discussion.

i mean .... if i'd do the same then i'll have to say my waterworld sucks. as well as crazy climber, all my prototypes, etc ..... at least a third of my collection. from my point of view, i could say ntsc is the 'other' system and it sucks.

that way, you'll never ever have a complete collection.

the difference is only relevant when it comes to the rarity of some single carts.

i have also to laugh about us collectors going "no PAL for me" and then collecting brasil carts. you guys should know these carts are in PAL-M format. it might work on ntsc, still it's another standart, just easier to addapt. but on the other side, i wouldn't say it much complicated to switch a VCR (with multistandart) between the TV and the Atari, it's just one more cable to plug in ....

"but it's so expensive ...." : no, F*** that! you can get a cheap VCR on the fleamarket for 20$. don't worry how it looks like. only the tuner needs to function properly and convert the signal, that's all .... i got one for my friend for even 10$ from a video store. i just asked if they have an unreparable VCR where the tuner still works.

the solution is so simple ....

disapointed fish

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Eckhard, the colors in Raiders (NTSC) on Z26 are still a bit off (ex. the Valley of Poision should be orange and green. Instead it is light green and dark green)

And just like the last time where you mentioned this I can only shamefully admit that I don't know this game too well. Maybe this time you could give me some instructions on how to get to the screen you are complaining about, or maybe you could post a screenshot, so that I can see the problem for myself.

But the transition between orange and green is a bit of a borderline descission. What colour you end up with also depends a bit on how your TV and monitor are tuned, so there might not be much we can do to get the colours right for everyone. Are the colours on your TV and your monitor tuned similarily, or are there other differences in the VCS/z26 palette for example? Maybe you could run my little colour test program on the Cuttle Cart or Supercharger and compare the whole palette to the one in z26?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg