IGNORED

Atari 7800 Phobos prototype at Philly

Allan

While everyone was running around at Philly, John Hardie, I believe, tried to run Phobos(I think that's what it was called) for the 7800. It kept crashing but he did get it to run for a few moments a couple of times. It is a two-person shoot'em up scrolling game. The graphics looked pretty cool. Unfortunately it only ran for a few seconds on the main screen before it crashed. Hopefully he can get it to work later. I was the only one watching I think so guess I was the only one outside of the Digital Press guys who saw it. Sorry I couldn'y give a better description but as I said it was only a few seconds.

Allan

Atari Archiver

P.S. It was nice to meet some of you at Philly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen the 8-bit version of Phobos. If you know where I can get a ATR of it, I could run it in an emulator and see if it looks the same.

A few moments later.....

I just downloaded the 8-bit Phobos ATR and it is definetly not the same game. The 8-bit Phobos is I guess a sequal to Caverns of Mars. The 7800 Phobos was a 2-player (at the same time) space shoot-em-up. The screen scrolled down while stuff came at you from above. Not an original idea (nice graphics though) but was kinda cool with two players. No, I didn't get to play it. John tried to get it going a few times but it just kept crashing after about 10 seconds. I think it was due the cart/rom/eprom and not the game/code itself.

Allan

quote:

Originally posted by Allan:

While everyone was running around at Philly, John Hardie, I believe, tried to run Phobos(I think that's what it was called) for the 7800. It kept crashing but he did get it to run for a few moments a couple of times.

Hi Allan,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Actually the game is called "Plutos" and I also had another one called "Sirius". Both of them currently have problems that we're trying to resolve. Both games are hard-as-hell shooters (one vertical, one horizontal). As soon as we make some progress with them, we'll let everyone know.

Thanks,

John

Thanks on the update John. And thanks for the name correction. There was a lot I took in at Philly. Info overload but well worth it. Like Disney for us classic video game fans. We're all rooting for you to get the games working right.

Allan

Hey Jet Boot Jack,

Is there a two-at-a-time player mode in this ST game? It looks similar but I'm not sure if it's the same as the 7800 one. The 7800 game doesn't have the side panel with the name and scores but it could just be that that would have been impossible on the 7800. The difference in the 7800 and ST graphics capability could be throwing me off as well. John may be able to answer this better than I can since he own's it.

Allan