IGNORED

Who Needs More than 64K?

Great Hierophant

I know of only one model of Atari, the 130XE. But one or two of the other released Atari systems could be upgraded to more than 64K of RAM. But how many programs needed it or could take advantage of it. My guess is none of the former and very few of the latter as the 130XE was introduced at the end of the 8-bit's life-cycle.

The biggest use of the expanded memory is for a RAMdisk.

Very useful in many ways.

For example,downloading to a RAM disk is a gazillion times faster

than to a disk drive (or even a hard drive,for that matter!)

Back in the day,when you paid by the hour to connect ( GENIE for example),

this was very important!

OSS Basic XE supports whole 128K, allowing you to write large programs that have the advantages of the language, which I think is one of the best ever made for the Atari 8 bit, since it has tons of powerful commands, and you can put machine language stuff in it also.

I used it to run FOREM XE BBS program, and ended up hitting the 128K limit at one time

-hunter

I used to have a 256k-upgraded 130XE. I used a nice big RAMdisk for message bases on my BBS. I used to run and beta test Oasis BBS, and with its message base compacting (which could take several minutes on a floppy while the user sat there twiddling their thumbs) using the RAMdisk sped that up tenfold.

There were also a number of programs that took advantage of the extra memory. Paperclip XE, Basic XE, Alternate Reality: The Dungeon, numerous graphic demos (shiny bubbles, anyone?), and likely more that I'm forgetting...

An extra RAM could be useful as:

- Ramdisk in different DOS'es

- a data bufor for various things in some games e.g. in Polish game "Artefakt Przodkow" you'll get nice title tune (that is placed in one of extra memory banks) ; also German MEGABLAST turns on powerful digital tunes at title screen when extra RAM is detected!

- great when using expanded version of Freezer (TIGHT FREEZER) - you can save whole RAM in that special memory, use some extra memory in DOS (as RAMDISK) and also hold some "memory states" written in other extra-banks (useful when playing in some hard games, just to save your level position) - and all can be done at the same time!!

SpartaDOS X uses extra RAM to keep DOS code and data buffers (this is why the MEMLO is so low under this DOS).

MAE assembler uses extra RAM to store source and symbol tables: you get 64k of free memory for source code/symbol table. It can optionally store the screen memory in extra RAM too - 8k bitmap for 64-column display.

As for assemblers, TKS Macro-Assembler (by Torsten Karwoth, author of "MEGABLAST") make use of extra ram as well. It enables really big buffer for writing source code along with some other features (based partly on MyDos 4.50 which is put together with TKS)... :)

before i had to switch to taquart's coding standard qasm/xasm i was a poweruser of torsten karworth's markoass XE where you simply assembled long source files just possible with the xtra banks...

you could easily switch between the 16k banks each holding max. 16k of source code by CTRL+1,2,3,4... very easy... and the assembler was placed as well in one bank as far as i can remember (i was using a 1088kb xe model...on a 130xe its less banks) so you had nearly full memory...or at least more than in 64k + dos + bibo or mac65 assembler... and the assembler handled all banks as one large source file... :)

it speeded up my coding very well.... carpe diem and all other demos/intros after that were coded with macroass XE (4k,8k,16ktro, abbuc intros,really unreal intro)

WTF, were you downloading to a casette tape? I never had download speeds exceed my disk write speed.

But the 8-bit couldn't use both a modem and the disk drive at the same time (usually both were SIO, and the modem tied up the bus continually). I remember downloading a few blocks, then pausing as the sectors were written to disk, then downloading a few blocks, etc...

It worked well enough, but it was faster to use a RAM disk.

-Bry

• 3 weeks later...
WTF' date=' were you downloading to a casette tape? I never had download speeds exceed my disk write speed.[/quote']

But the 8-bit couldn't use both a modem and the disk drive at the same time (usually both were SIO' date=' and the modem tied up the bus continually). I remember downloading a few blocks, then pausing as the sectors were written to disk, then downloading a few blocks, etc...

It worked well enough, but it [i']was[/i] faster to use a RAM disk.

-Bry

Busted! :lol:

Yeah I remember the great 'ol bbs software and how the extra RAM was useful. Basic XE was a dream language for me. Too bad it came out as late as it did. I knew a few people that ran BBS's and I'd help co-sysop for them, patch up the code, etc.

Even ran one myself for a little while on a 8086 PC under Opus BBS until my hard drive got zapped.

I might've been one of the few people who had the 288k 800 upgrade. The ONLY thing it was useable for was a RAMdisk, but like others said, it was magnicificent for running the BBS.

I ran Nite Lite software at the time, and I put the message base on the RAMdisk. It was super fast (since NL's worst feature was the sequential message base setup) but I had to constantly remember to save the message base to the drive every so often. Nothing worse than having a power outage or the enevitable lockup/crash... "Sorry guys, but we lost all of yesterday's messages... anyone remember what they said?" :roll:

Smeg

I had one of the Axlon ramdisks. For awhile, it was the only way to do hardcore development on the 800 without your hair turning grey between compiles. You could use it for other things besides a ramdisk, sort of, with some fancy footwork. As I remember, it overlaid memory and you could use it as a poor man's paging system.

Back in the day, I'd do anything to speed up development. I remember investing in one of Dave Small's parallel drive systems. Awesome speed increase (well, in its time) but it wasn't cheap. It used a card that plugged into one of the 800's memory slots and cantilevered out over the computer. With all of the power cords and ribbon cables, it looked vaguely Frankensteinian.

--r

Russ,was that the Corvus system?

Corvus was a hard disk, no? Dave Small's gadget was a 5 1/4" floppy system. It had a parallel interface as opposed to serial, so it was much faster (20x?). I didn't buy my first hard disk until I bought my Apple Lisa for Mac development. As I remember, the 5MB hard disk cost around $1000. What a steal. :)

--r

Well Atariwriter Plus used the extra memory, I think Atariwriter 80 might have too

Heh, that reminds me of the time (back in high school) when I was writing a long paper for physics class with Atariwriter Plus, and ran out of RAM on my 130XE. So yeah, there was a good reason for 128K. :D