IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

But... Since there are two kernel versions being built anyway, why not built two complete versions, with two completely separate carts for sale? Of course anyone that has read this thread would have to own both!

Both would be spectacular no doubt, but I can already bet on which one I'd prefer to play! What do you think?

I think its a great idea, but I don't know if the HB market can really support two versions of the same game released at the same time. (I am getting flashbacks of Guns n' Roses Use Your Illusion I and II here...)

I think its a great idea, but I don't know if the HB market can really support two versions of the same game released at the same time.  (I am getting flashbacks of Guns n' Roses Use Your Illusion I and II here...)

If they agreed to it, and could get the boards necessary for it, I think having both versions on the same cart would be the best route to go. I know it'd jump a couple of notches in my own priority list of future purchases at least. ;)

Both are looking quite nice. It'd be a hard decision to make if I had to choose between getting one or the other.

--

Mord

But... Since there are two kernel versions being built anyway, why not built two complete versions, with two completely separate carts for sale? Of course anyone that has read this thread would have to own both!

One could be called Prince of Persia, Authentic Edition (Jentzsch+Babalizer)  

And the other perhaps Prince of Persia, Retro Edition (vdub_bobby+salstadt).

I'm having fun, but my kernel is really far too ROM-intensive to work, I think. Thomas' kernel is probably better for this game. Besides...as much fun as I am having, I don't think I'm willing to commit to coding a complete PoP game as my next project. :)

And two carts for sale is overkill, for sure.

Since the animations require a major part of the ROM, this would only work if we have 64k boards available for production.

This will not be an issue soon. :)

..Al

Any more information on that ?

:)

Joe Grand of Pixels Past has already designed a 64K Atari 2600 board and we have prototypes of it. We just need to make sure the bankswitching works reliably and we can then order a full production run of the boards and make them available for homebrew authors.

..Al

And how does the bankswitching mechanism work ?

I'm asking as I'm working on a 32k project at the moment, which might or might not evolve to 64k. If I already knew the bs mechanism, I might plan ahead a bit more.

I will get the information for you and send it your way.

..Al

Well to me I love Prince of Persia and I got the game for,

Amiga

Amstrad CPC

Apple II

Atari ST

Commodore 64

GameBoy

GameBoy Color

GameGear

MAC

NES

Sega Mega Drive

Sega Master System

SNES

TurboGrafx 16

ZX Spectrum.

And here'smy take on what the Atari 2600 labels would look like had the game came on for the VCS^_^

post-5587-1112300252_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1112300253_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1112300254_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1112300255_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1112300256_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Hey guys, I have noticed there has been no news of this awesome project in the last four months. Anyone care to give us an update? Has the main programmer lost interest and given up?

IIRC nobody ever volunteered for lead programming.

903914[/snapback]

I don't think anyone volunteered for graphic work either - though maybe Nathan Strum did and I don't recall correctly. I know Adam bowed out.