IGNORED

Looking to Modify a Genesis controller.

Jonny_B

While as Genesis controllers are compatable with most 2600 games, if you try to play a 7800 game, it will freeze, as if it were stuck in reset mode.

I would like to modify one of my Genesis controllers to be compatable with 7800 games. I assume that it would mean removing and/or switching a few wires around. My bro is an expert at fixing and modifying stuff, but he would need a schematic to do it. Is there a link buried in these archives that leads to a schematic for a modified Genesis controller, or does somebody already know how, and would like to share some info?

Anything would be appreciated, because I feel the 7800 controllers are a bit too awkward and tend to break easily if overused.

Hmm, I found two websites with Genesis controller info:

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/user...controller.html

http://users.erols.com/tiltonj/games/tech/smscont.html

Then there's the A7800 FAQ for the 7800 controller:

http://www.atariage.com/7800/faq/index.htm...mID=7800#cat2_9

pin #  7800 control

1    Up

2    Down

3    Left

4    Right

5    Button (R)ight (-)

6    Both buttons (+)

7    unused (+5v)

8    Ground(-)

9    Button (L)eft  (-)

Genesis

1  North

2  South

3  West or SEL mirror 

4  East or SEL mirror 

5 +5VDC Supply 

6  A or  B

7 SEL

8 GND 

9  Start or  C

So first A7800 pin 7 has to be connected to Genesis pin 7 & 5. That will power up the 74HC157 and select normal (needed for proper left/right). Unfortunately, there's no way to make it a two button controller without rewiring the internals. You may also want to leave A7800 pins 5 & 9 unconnected.

Whoops, made a mistake about how SEL works. Hmm...

Genesis

1 North

2 South

3 West or SEL mirror

4 East or SEL mirror

5 +5VDC Supply

6 B or A

7 SEL

8 GND

9 C or Start

So first A7800 pin 7 has to be connected to Genesis pin 7 & 5. That will power up the 74HC157 and select normal (needed for proper left/right).

Okay, now let me figure out how to connect B/C as left/right fire.

Nope, it doesn't appear to be possible to connect B/C as left/right. On the Genesys B/C connect pins 6&9 to 8 (common ground) and I can't match this to the 7800 fire button circuit without rewiring the internals.

So connect 6 through and B becomes the common fire button & leave 9 unconnected so pressing C won't mess things up. Pins 1-4 & 8 are connected straight through.

An SMS controller should work without modification, although button 2 won't work right.

I have no idea where this can be found online, but about 8 years ago I built an external project box based on some internet info which had Dsub9 connectors on each side. I plugged in a non-modded Genesis controller on one side, and a simple 9-pin extender cable on the other side, and voila! I had two-button support on the 7800.

It worked great except my soldering wasn't up to par and the board got damaged eventually...

Anyway, I guess the point is you should be able to build an external box so that any unmodified Genesis controller would work properly on the 7800.

I have no idea where this can be found online, but about 8 years ago I built an external project box based on some internet info which had Dsub9 connectors on each side. I plugged in a non-modded Genesis controller on one side, and a simple 9-pin extender cable on the other side, and voila! I had two-button support on the 7800.

It worked great except my soldering wasn't up to par and the board got damaged eventually...

Anyway, I guess the point is you should be able to build an external box so that any unmodified Genesis controller would work properly on the 7800.

Yep, see my link above. :)

Mitch