IGNORED

Atari 7800 Pokey in cart...

Clint Thompson

So....

I guess the question is how much does this chip cost.... where is it obtained? (Atari Sales?) and how possible is it to create a new

game with this chip on the cart?

Also, since I don't really have any clue... the Super games (I guess have more storage?) how does one or can one go about doing such?

Also.. if possible how much?

Since I'm on the subject - exactly what language is written for the 7800?

(What setup are people using?)

7800 cartridges can have a couple extra "features" in them that make them Supergames, extra bankswitch ROM, extra RAM, or the Pokey sound chip. Note that Atari applied the Super Game designation pretty inconsistently (see my post about this in another thread on the board).

The largest 7800 games had 144K of ROM, but theoretically you could go larger.

The only really praticle language to program the 7800 in at this point is assembly, although you probably could rig up a 6502 C compiler to work with the 7800.

Dan

Nice.

Now can a homebrewer do the same? Use the pokey.... have a good 144k ROM (How big can you go again? ;) and extra RAM even? (how much?) I guess it's only good if the homebrewer can actually use it.

Is there a list of games that used extra ram, or did ANY actually use extra ram?

Assembly is evil.... because I can't seem to get my feet wet to understand the madness (even though I did some general basic programming back in the day... I can't seem to get past that....)

I'm having a LOT of spare/free time at night at work and would like to at least work on some art work / sprites and maybe a game design / levels and ideas and possilby tinker around with some code. I guess what we really need is a Programming the 7800 for REAL dummies! :)

(I would pay $40 for that book if it could teach me to program a half decent game for the 7800 :)

What prices are you looking at for all the materials as well?

The pokey is $5, ok. Then there's the PCB of the cart, EEPROM I assume, and extra RAM if possible. (Maybe around $25 to produce the cart?)

Thanks for all the help in answering my (I'm sure) somewhat dumb questions. And again... is anyone going to write the 7800 from the ground up for Dummies book, post it on Cafeexpress and we buy we buy! :)

(ah, I can dream)

:)

Nice.

Now can a homebrewer do the same? Use the pokey.... have a good 144k ROM (How big can you go again? ;) and extra RAM even? (how much?) I guess it's only good if the homebrewer can actually use it.

Is there a list of games that used extra ram, or did ANY actually use extra ram?

Assembly is evil.... because I can't seem to get my feet wet to understand the madness (even though I did some general basic programming back in the day... I can't seem to get past that....)

I'm having a LOT of spare/free time at night at work and would like to at least work on some art work / sprites and maybe a game design / levels and ideas and possilby tinker around with some code. I guess what we really need is a Programming the 7800 for REAL dummies! :)

(I would pay $40 for that book if it could teach me to program a half decent game for the 7800 :)

What prices are you looking at for all the materials as well?

The pokey is $5, ok. Then there's the PCB of the cart, EEPROM I assume, and extra RAM if possible. (Maybe around $25 to produce the cart?)

Thanks for all the help in answering my (I'm sure) somewhat dumb questions. And again... is anyone going to write the 7800 from the ground up for Dummies book, post it on Cafeexpress and we buy we buy! :)

(ah, I can dream)

:)

Depending on how resourceful you are, you can probably get the price under $10 for parts. Of course then you have labor...

As for which 7800 games used extra's, check out Eckhard's list.

And, yes, a homebrewer should be able to use any of them as long as they have the programing talent. :D

Mitch

I missed out on the second run of Cuttle Carts 2, however there seem to be other avenues to developing for the 7800. I seriously thinking about using the 7800 OS that can be downloaded from www.atari7800.com . I'm considering designing my own cartridge from the ground up because those CC2 are too expensive for me. So I brought myself books on basic electronics and power supply so that I can begin the process. There's a website some where out there where they show you how to burn the 7800 OS into the 7800 bios chip where you can extract games/ROMs from your cartridge directly from 7800 via a PC connected to the second 7800 joystick port. I still have a ways to go, but at least this way I'll have the opportunity to get to know the 7800 better this way even though I don't yet have a clue as to how i'm going to get all of this done. To be honest, the reason why I'm doing it is becuase I have a lot of ideas that I would very much like to try out and I sometimes get the feeling that I'm not the only one.

I missed out on the second run of Cuttle Carts 2, however there seem to be other avenues to developing for the 7800.  I seriously thinking about using the 7800 OS that can be downloaded from www.atari7800.com .  I'm considering designing my own cartridge from the ground up because those CC2 are too expensive for me.  So I brought myself books on basic electronics and power supply so that I can begin the process.  There's a website some where out there where they show you how to burn the 7800 OS into the 7800 bios chip where you can extract games/ROMs from your cartridge directly from 7800 via a PC connected to the second 7800 joystick port.  I still have a ways to go, but at least this way I'll have the opportunity to get to know the 7800 better this way even though I don't yet have a clue as to how i'm going to get all of this done.  To be honest, the reason why I'm doing it is becuase I have a lot of ideas that I would very much like to try out and I sometimes get the feeling that I'm not the only one.

The second CC2 run is already sold out! Wow!

I think the DIY version you are think of is Eckhard's 7800 dev system. Graham Percy also has an newer version of the RAM cart plans on his site.

Mitch

I missed out on the second run of Cuttle Carts 2, however there seem to be other avenues to developing for the 7800.

Mitch

I don't think so, You can still pre-order on his site.

and I don't see anything in cschell's posts that says he is finished pre-orders.

Why are u all saying CC2 second run is sold out?

I missed out on the second run of Cuttle Carts 2, however there seem to be other avenues to developing for the 7800.  I seriously thinking about using the 7800 OS that can be downloaded from www.atari7800.com .  I'm considering designing my own cartridge from the ground up because those CC2 are too expensive for me.  So I brought myself books on basic electronics and power supply so that I can begin the process.  There's a website some where out there where they show you how to burn the 7800 OS into the 7800 bios chip where you can extract games/ROMs from your cartridge directly from 7800 via a PC connected to the second 7800 joystick port.  I still have a ways to go, but at least this way I'll have the opportunity to get to know the 7800 better this way even though I don't yet have a clue as to how i'm going to get all of this done.  To be honest, the reason why I'm doing it is becuase I have a lot of ideas that I would very much like to try out and I sometimes get the feeling that I'm not the only one.

I think the DIY version you are think of is Eckhard's 7800 dev system. Graham Percy also has an newer version of the RAM cart plans on his site.

Mitch

Has anybody ever used Eckhard's utilities using the CC2 or the Krocodile Cart? :?:

But why would you want to run DevOS on a Cuttle Cart 2 or a Krokodile Cart? Both devices have their own (much better) way of transferring 6502 programs to them, so you can use them for 2600 (and 7800 in the case of the CC2) game development without installing a DevOS ROM in your 7800.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg