IGNORED

Interest in printing your own Atari 2600 Cart Labels?

8bitclassics

I am looking at ordering a quantity of custom labels that people would be able to use in their inkjet or laser printer? Before I order these, I wanted to see what people thought about this? Here is the current design:

4 labels per sheet of both the top and side label, they would be for the standard Atari branded cartridges, and they would include a bleed area so no white space on the labels.

Now I am looking at immediately ordering a plain matte label (good for both inkjet and laser printers) and gloss (laser printers). They also offer gloss for inkjet along with some other types that might look into in the future.

What I am looking for is what people here think, I know it is mostly for developers and homebrew. But I need opinions on what people prefer:

Label Stock type (matte, gloss laser, gloss iinkjet):

Quantity/Price (Currently looking at $1.25 for individual sheets, and discounts for quantities of 10 ($10) or more):

What would you want included (printed template, disk with word/avery template?, anything else)?

What other label types would you like (if any)(Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, or ?)?

Thanks,

Corey

What other label types would you like (if any)(Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, or ?)?  

If I am remembering correctly, the 5200 and Colecovision can use the same label size as the 2600. (on the 5200 it's turned sideways)

Mitch

If I am remembering correctly, the 5200 and Colecovision can use the same label size as the 2600. (on the 5200 it's turned sideways)

The 5200 is indeed the exact same label size as the main label on Atari 2600 carts, just turned on its side. Very convenient. For the ColecoVision, though, we actually created a new label design that mimics the original ColecoVision labels (which are tapered at the top where the label wraps around the cart). Now that I look, the 2600 labels are a similar size to the CV labels and might work fine on a CV cart (never tried one).

..Al

Label stock: definitely inkjet, matte or glossy finish doesn't matter - since it's a repro label, I would probably protect it with self-adhesive laminating film after printing anyway. If you could provide matching pre-cut laminating film, that would be sweet!

Price: a 4-label sheet for $1.25 sounds pretty good.

Templates: I don't know if templates on disk or paper would be needed (maybe make them optional), but downloadable templates would be nice.

Other types: definitely Activision!

Thanks for the posts so far. I thought I measured the 5200 before and thought it was different, but nope, I was wrong (thanks :)). Anyway, on the colecovision, the 2600 labels could work, but wouldn't most people want a wrap around? Those labels would work both on the Coleco 2600/colecovision carts.

As for label types, I received laser gloss and printed on my color laser, and it looked very nice. Less problems with running of ink also. I may offer reprinting of labels also since I do have a color laser printer in the future, but I did figure most people have inkjets at home. I have some samples for inkjets coming for testing before I order. I also have silver labels coming to see how they match the original 2600 silver labels.

Another question (and please continue with input), would people be interested in preordering? If I did preorders, I would offer discounts of course, say like $1 per individual label, or $9 for 10 sheets, etc. Doing this would allow me to order more up front and reduce my cost for a larger quantity.

Thanks, Corey

Well I think I will be ordering the laser gloss labels first and take preorders for the matte that works on both (inkjet and laser). I will be offering printing on laser if anybody wants that also. Benefit, less smearing, better picture clarity, more professional look. Have come up with prices yet, but will be reasonable (per sheet basis).

Thanks,

Corey

I had someone help me to make a label for a project that I did. Then my wife helped me with making a label for another project I did ;) , and then I ended up doing the artwork myself for the box. I just takes practice (5 years in high school during other classes :P :) ) and patience. Seriously, I believe anyone (okay, most people) can draw if they try hard enough. After a while drawing becomes easier...

There was a thread back in October I believe about people doing their own labels and had sample work. I did a mock up of Doom3 for the 2600 label which turned out quite nice and printed nice also. Put Activision/Atari copyrights on it and everything. Looked almost like it could be real except for the fact of it being Doom3 :)

Corey

Why go to so much trouble to photoshop those graphics, then ignore all sense of proportion and reality? That doesn't look anything like a real 2600 label design. Have you ever seen the title of the game share space with Atari's name that way? Where are the borders? Why are the fonts different? Everything about it looks wrong. The elements are all there but there's no sense of authenticity or concern for same. Kind of like a proto box from DP.

When I created it, I didn't know AtariAge actually had the correct fonts for labels. It was a sample and actually didn't take me long, what I wanted out of it was an image that printed nicely that I could get from the web. I maybe spent 15 minutes on the whole thing. Like I said, it was a sample to see how it printed, not for production or really to show.

Corey

When I created it, I didn't know AtariAge actually had the correct fonts for labels.  It was a sample and actually didn't take me long, what I wanted out of it was an image that printed nicely that I could get from the web.  I maybe spent 15 minutes on the whole thing.  Like I said, it was a sample to see how it printed, not for production or really to show.

Corey

Dont sweat it. It's your design, you can choose to make it however you wish.

And you are making these at a high resolution, CMYK format right? (at least 300 dpi)

Yeah, my template is at 300 DPI and I converted all the graphics to CMYK beforehand. I will actually make some general templates for the different atari system labels that will be available with purchase of the labels or maybe as a seperate download.

Side note: I ordered the laser gloss labels (I think I mentioned semi-gloss before, but they are regular gloss). Once I get something ready, I will put them on my website available for pre-order (about 2 weeks for these). Also will also make the matte labels ready for preorder and these will be usable on both inkjet and laser printers. The inkjet gloss labels are more expensive, so will wait last on those. I believe for the most part, the gloss will be more accurate to recreating an actual label. But anyway, will get items posted at http://www.8bitclassics.com by the weekends with pricing. Will order pre-order pricing for the laser labels until the come in (again two weeks) and offer pre-order pricing until I get an order and then it will take around two weeks or more.

Thanks,

Corey

8-Bit Classics

http://www.8bitclassics.com

• 2 months later...

Quoted and added so you can just click and load. Also, had two atari1.jpg and there is a atari2.jpg so changed the link.

Anyway, looks good. Something you are creating or reproducing?

Corey

Edited by 8bitclassics

Quoted and added so you can just click and load. Also, had two atari1.jpg and there is a atari2.jpg so changed the link.

Anyway, looks good. Something you are creating or reproducing?

Corey

851560[/snapback]

These are the multicarts I created. Dunno if I can sell them here, so I'm not advertising yet...