IGNORED

Proto Games: Worth it?

Rocko

I was looking at a list of the proto carts that are available, and I was wondering, are they worth it?

I was looking at

Brett Hull Hockey

Barkley: Shut up and Jam!

and, are they fun? They seem expensive.

Also, any word on the Total Carnage? I would buy that game in a heartbeat if they get it out. (well, unless it was super expensive.)

I feel that to the average person just wanting to play a good game... neither BHH or Barkely will make you happy. If your in it for a different reason (like I used to be) and that was to see all the lovely unfinished work that you would normally not be able to see that Atari created but either never finished and released then this is definately for you.

That's the beauty of Atari.... protos. So many unreleased stuff with so much potential and to grasp just a little bit of that makes you feel good sometimes. Everyone in the world can say they have played GTA on the PS2 but how many can say they have played BHH for the Jag (then again, most don't really care) but that is the difference.... we do care.

If I had a choice between one or the other... I would go with Barkley... only because I'm afraid I like BBall a little more then hockey :)

Unfortunately, the chances of Total Carnage really seeing the light of day outside prototype collectors is as slim as slim gets.

Damn! That is a shame.

I have heard good things about BBBALL, but I have been wanting NBA jam for a while, so I might get hockey. although, both are expensive and I could get a few of the released jag games at that price.

Unfortunately, the chances of Total Carnage really seeing the light of day outside prototype collectors is as slim as slim gets.

Damn! That is a shame.

I have heard good things about BBBALL, but I have been wanting NBA jam for a while, so I might get hockey. although, both are expensive and I could get a few of the released jag games at that price.

Just so you know, Brett Hull hockey and Barkley basketball, are, for all intents and purposes, complete/finished games that are totally playable, they are finished and can be played just like a "released" game like NBA JAM or Troy Aikman football. How good they are compared to those games is a matter of opinion, but they would not have been much better than they are now had they been officially released back when Atari was still around. Now, games/demos like SpaceWar 2000 or PhaseZero repro/protos are NOT finished, but still very fun, but probably not worth it to you if your not collecting Jaguar stuff.

Hello,

I was looking at a list of the proto carts that are available, and I was wondering, are they worth it?

I was looking at  

Brett Hull Hockey

Barkley: Shut up and Jam!

and, are they fun?

Don't forget Space War 2000.

Some people call the games released by Songbird (excluding

Protector programmed to completion by Carl) protos, but the

difference is that they have all necessary components for their

full release. Brett Hull is nearly that complete. Barkley a little

less so, lacking most sound. Space War 2000 lacks "structure".

At least these games are playable, although Space War 2000 is

lacking missions or depth, at least you can plug-in and blast.

A proto like BIWN CD or Caves of Fear CD is unplayable, and

I cannot recommend them except to hardcode collectors really.

Those protos therefore for me, are expensive. (> $'s than fun.)

There are photos of all the protos on my JustClaws Devcats protos

area too, and photos of some of the protos which you can't buy...

They seem expensive.
They're much cheaper now than all Jaguar cartridges were new in UK.

Also, any word on the Total Carnage? I would buy that game in a heartbeat if they get it out. (well, unless it was super expensive.)

I think it's unlikely but if it's possible at all it will happen, given interest.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

You know out of the bunch I think I enjoy Phase Zero the most...

guess because it was much more unique then the others.

out of BHH, Barkley, Spacewar 2000 (although it's bizarre and I never got anywhere with it).

I saw spacewar. It looked cool, but what exactly is it? I was thinking of getting this game, but not as hard as the others,

Hey,

Barkley a little less so, lacking most sound.

I thought someone had found a document stating that this was the final version.

That's possible, but in my book it's not properly completed, because the

game just needs sound, and/or music during gameplay. A few grunts

and a complete lack of speech (unless NBA Jam and White Men Can't

Jump where speech is intrinsic to creating an atmosphere) isn't right.

Gameplay wise though it works well, but NBA Jam beats it hands-down.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hey,

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I admit that "CBSUJ" might have been improved with in-game speech, but the game isn't totally silent. It does feature "ambient street sound" (distant sound of honking horns, etc.) and an adequate array of courtside sound effects.

I find "CBSUJ" to be the best of all the B-Ball titles for the Jag, and do play it quite a bit. "NBA:TE" seems to have a few more fans around here, though.

Hey,

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I have been looking for NBA JAM TE for a long time. Anyone got a loose one for sale?

CBSUJ looks good, but if I can find a JAM, I will get BHH (unless I can find ISS) instead.

BTW, there are several "BHH" protos floating around the collector scene. The cart version is supposedly "more complete" than any of the CD proto copies, but I haven't been able to confirm this myself.

I'd heard it was the other way around, that the CD version was more complete and better looing too, though I have the cart version and I can attest that it IS a complete game for all intents and purposes, and the graphics aren't that bad, the only thing is that the player sprites could have been better/more detailed. They are basically just hand-drawn sprites and I'd heard from someone that they were supposedly just "place-holder" sprites and that digitized sprites or something would have been implemented. Other than that, the game seems quite complete, and really, the sprites that are there aren't THAT bad, I really like setting the camera for maximum zoom and get in real close to the game, it makes everyhting more "3D." I've never seen the CD version, so I can't say myself either way if it's more or less complete and if the graphics are any better or not. I do know that this theory of "place-holder" sprites could be legit, as I have an earlier version of Charles Barkley Basketball, and it has hand-drawn, cartoony graphics whereas the "final" version that B&C sells has digitized and or better drawn sprites, etc. Both games were made by Ringler Studios, so if one game has different versions like this, it is logical to assume that both might be similiarly developed.

I do know that this theory of "place-holder" sprites could be legit, as I have an earlier version of Charles Barkley Basketball, and it has hand-drawn, cartoony graphics whereas the "final" version that B&C sells has digitized and or better drawn sprites,

Got Pictures?

Tempest

Hello,

I have been looking for NBA JAM TE for a long time. Anyone got a loose one for sale?
Accept nothing less!

The cheats and eggs alone will keep you occupied for ages.

NBA Jam is undoubtedly the Jag game with the most secrets!

CBSUJ looks good' date=' but if I can find a JAM, I will get BHH (unless I can find ISS) instead.[/quote']White Men Can't Jump is also a lot of fun. The frame rate dips at times,

and some people hate it, but I like it, (I liked the film), and it impresses!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello' date='

CBSUJ looks good' date=' but if I can find a JAM, I will get BHH (unless I can find ISS) instead.[/quote']White Men Can't Jump is also a lot of fun. The frame rate dips at times,

and some people hate it, but I like it, (I liked the film), and it impresses!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I have heard more bad about the game than good, but it still looks interisting. I am not more of the "real" basketball fan, but I might have to look into this one.

I think it's unlikely but if it's possible at all it will happen, given interest.

No shortage of interest. However both ROMs have a cheat enabled that skips a level if you press A+B, which makes it quite a bit harder to play for score ;)

I've considered knocking up a Robotron-style controller which prevents you pressing both buttons at once, that'd be good :)

Stone

Hello Stone,

No shortage of interest. However both ROMs have a cheat enabled that skips a level if you press A+B, which makes it quite a bit harder to play for score ;)
That would take minutes to fix though.

Once the pad reading check was found, change the jump to a nop.

I've considered knocking up a Robotron-style controller which prevents you pressing both buttons at once, that'd be good :)
Let's hope the game gets published, and you get a market for it!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello !  

You can see new screen shot of Brett Hull Hockey here :

http://www.yntoo.com/posts.php?s=32800&p=5

on the french Atari Jaguar forum

It looks pretty good to me especially after I translated the site from French with Google's language tools. It's much better looking than the SNES version. I'm thinking about this for the 1st prototype cart I buy since I already have a ton of B Ball games for serval systems (including NBA Jam TE for the Jag) but just a few hockey games.

Hello !  

You can see new screen shot of Brett Hull Hockey here :

http://www.yntoo.com/posts.php?s=32800&p=5

on the french Atari Jaguar forum

It looks pretty good to me especially after I translated the site from French with Google's language tools. It's much better looking than the SNES version. I'm thinking about this for the 1st prototype cart I buy since I already have a ton of B Ball games for serval systems (including NBA Jam TE for the Jag) but just a few hockey games.

I didnt know there was a snes version. I might have to try it just to see if the gameplay is good (I LOVE pro hocket (maybe its a 9*, maybe just a game, not sure. It is the one on the sports game controller that just came out).

Does anyone have a copy of NBA JAM (jag, of course) for sale?