IGNORED

Jaguar link up with the Lynx?

AtariLynx

Hello,

It serves no practical function from what i've heard. There is a comlynx signal on the bus, but you would have to do some soldering to get a comlynx cable hooked up, and even then, there is no software to run.
Indeed, it was another great idea which Atari failed to capitalise on.

I guess the fact they'd effectively stopped marketing Lynx by the time

they launched the Jaguar was the problem, no funding for Lynx games.

Perhaps in a few years time, we'll be playing homebrew hookups!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• Like 1

Hello,

you probably don't need soldering if you do have two or three things:

- BLL-Cable:

This is used to connect a Lynx with a PC, providing a DSUB9-female-plug

- JagLink:

Converts from TTL to RS232 like the BLL-cable does, but provides no DSUB9-plug

- "JUGS"-Adapter:

Adapts from JagLink to DSUB9 (female i thnk)

- either an MODEM or NULL-MODEM cable to connect BLL-cable and JUGS/JagLink.

So the hardware problem can be solved by some people...

On the software side we do have to look at the Jaguar-DSP-port-bug and to check if both machines can be configured to provide the same serial-connection-settings (baudrate, number of data-bits, etc.)

Matthias

• 12 years later...

Does AvP code make use of the comLynx signal? I’ve read that Atari planned to make use of the Lynx as an ‘enhanced’ controller for Jag AvP with the Lynx port running.

Never heard that before and you may be correct although logically it make little sense as you have less buttons that the Jag controller which makes weapon selection and strafing harder to access and it is more bulky than the Jag controller. If they were going to use the com port then a multiplayer network would make more sense.

Never heard that before and you may be correct although logically it make little sense as you have less buttons that the Jag controller which makes weapon selection and strafing harder to access and it is more bulky than the Jag controller. If they were going to use the com port then a multiplayer network would make more sense.

Or they could just use it as an extra screen.. so you could put the output of tracker/player health on the Lynx screen freeing it up from the jag screen. Which would be kind of cool (assuming you could get a lynx to be viewable whilst playing your Jag :D

Or they could just use it as an extra screen.. so you could put the output of tracker/player health on the Lynx screen freeing it up from the jag screen. Which would be kind of cool (assuming you could get a lynx to be viewable whilst playing your Jag :D

Connect the Lynx up to the Jag and have the Jag feed the Lynx the motion-tracker data. I wonder if Atari would've went to the trouble of making a card for the Lynx or if they would've just enabled its native ability to run game code straight from ComLynx. Wonder if anyone from Rebellion knows if this ever made the planning stages...

As far as I know there's no such thing on the Lynx (unlike, say, the Game Boy Advance). You can't even power on the console without a cart inserted anyways.

Epyx planned for it but Atari Corp didn't enable it [or actively frowned against implementing it]. They crunched the numbers and decided it wouldn't be very profitable if you only had to buy a single Lynx cart and then everyone with Lynxes could download the game via ComLynx.

I seem to recall someone in the Lynx forum talking about enabling it...

• 1 month later...

In regards to the Lynx and Jag.

I wonder why Atari never thought about doing a similar adaptor the the super gameboy. ( maybe they did consider it, I don't know )

Hardware was already developed, software was already done, and manufacturing Lynx carts was already done.

All the elements were just about there, it would have been extra revenue for the adaptor, and with the slow releases of Jag software, they would have probably shifted a few extra lynx carts.

Whether its true Or not I remember reading about a possible issue with resolution, not sure though.

I wonder why Atari never thought about doing a similar adaptor the the super gameboy. ( maybe they did consider it, I don't know )

Probably because the Lynx was also a commercial flop? Why spend the money to develop and release an adapter for a failed handheld so that the games could be played on a failing console?

Err, I mean, Atari absolutely should've done this! It could've saved them! It would've made the Jaguar a success and Sony would've been dead in the water!

• Like 5

Probably because the Lynx was also a commercial flop? Why spend the money to develop and release an adapter for a failed handheld so that the games could be played on a failing console?

Err, I mean, Atari absolutely should've done this! It could've saved them! It would've made the Jaguar a success and Sony would've been dead in the water!

Who said it would have saved them, and who said it would have made the jaguar a success.

You are projecting.

I simply asked why not? everything was there and while not going to save anything it would have likely clawed back some money for Atari.

What a strange and bitter response.

• Like 1

To be fair, compared to the Jaguar the Lynx was a runaway success.

I think an adapter could have been neat. I'd have used it.

Did any of the adaptors for other systems come out in the 1st generation of releases for that system? As I see it the Jag never really made it past it's 1st generation of games, so it never got to the point where there was enough interest and legs in the system to warrant any development of such a device.

I agree it would be a cool little addon for the Jag. I imagine the crossover subset of people that bought a Lynx and then bought a Jag there wouldn't have been a big enough pool of interest if it were released at the jaguars (giggle) "Prime" (snort, sorry can't keep a straight face :) )

• Like 1

I agree it would be a cool little addon for the Jag. I imagine the crossover subset of people that bought a Lynx and then bought a Jag there wouldn't have been a big enough pool of interest if it were released at the jaguars (giggle) "Prime" (snort, sorry can't keep a straight face :) )

Eh, we're talking about Atari. You know, the company that shelled out cash for VR development, a gaming modem, and a CD add-on for a console that hadn't even sold 200,000 units yet. I highly doubt a Lynx Player of some type would have been any worse. :)

• Like 4

Eh, we're talking about Atari. You know, the company that shelled out cash for VR development, a gaming modem, and a CD add-on for a console that hadn't even sold 200,000 units yet. I highly doubt a Lynx Player of some type would have been any worse. :)

Exactly! a Lynx module would have been in some way sensible.. so Atari didn't do it.. now an out there wacky idea like VR.. hells yeah! pump all of the money into that!! make sure to shout "TEXTURED 3D" at the devs every time you speak to them too. :)

• Like 5

Still waiting for the first homebrew that will actually make this a reality, though I'm not betting on it to ever happen. If at very least a tech demo of sorts to show it working would be neat. Pointless perhaps in the grand scheme of things but still cool.

That would be nice, but what we REALLY need is to have a do-over of AvP with the Lynx acting as the motion scanner output ;)

• Like 5