IGNORED

800XL and 1010 for $150?

Clint Thompson

:lolblue:

When I was out Flea Market hunting today (picked me up some goody 7800 games) I spotted a 800XL. (Been wanting to get one for my game room for a while now) so.... I'm looking around and the guy is like....

"you got a PS2?" I was like.. yea ... (it never gets played and will probably hit eBay soon" and he's like... well, if you ever got any old stuff like this (pointing at the 2600) I'd be happy to trade with or buy it.

I was like, actually I'M looking for the older stuff... and he was like, oh... well, I got this 1010 over here (haha) it's the original dos and everything, you probably won't find an older computer like around (um, yea dude, sure, whatever). So I was like... (thinking... he probably wants like $50 or so for it, but hey, if I can snag it for like $35 (about average price it's worth?) then great) He said.... well, I'll let you have the 800XL, the 1010, that huge power supply and these games (8 disks?) for $150...

:o

I was pretty much speechless. It's like that feeling you get when you know something really really bad just happened... but didn't.

This guy is ignorant. I have no idea what the hell he is smoking... but he better give me some, especially considering the thing was pretty dirty anyways (but I don't usually have a proble cleaning up the mess to make a pretty Atari again right?) so I was just like, o.k. .... and looked around in a daze for a minute thinking about what he said.... and walked out....

I can't shake the feeling.... what's wrong with these people?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man... sounds familiar. But there's hope, I found a complete absolutely massively mint XEGS with all the stuff it originally came with in a thrift store for 12 dollars, kind of hidden on a bottom shelf in the back, that's 12 Canadian dollars. That's a good deal! I'm telling you its so mint its ridiculous, and it works perfectly.

I had to jump in on this conversation... :P

Flea market people are picking up that any sort of "retro" video games are popular now, so basically anything with "Atari" or "Nintendo" written on it that looks old is going to end up with an insane price tag.

Just remember: dress like a dirtbag and pretend like you have no clue about video games or computers when you go to flea markets. This can keep you from dealing with the vendors' delusional high prices.

I had to jump in on this conversation... :P

Flea market people are picking up that any sort of "retro" video games are popular now, so basically anything with "Atari" or "Nintendo" written on it that looks old is going to end up with an insane price tag.

Just remember: dress like a dirtbag and pretend like you have no clue about video games or computers when you go to flea markets. This can keep you from dealing with the vendors' delusional high prices.

There's probably some truth to this; if the vendors think you are a collector they may hike up the price, if they think you don't know your Nintendo from your Atari from you microwave, they may not bother hiking up the price. However, who knows in the end, you'll just have to try different things and hope for good luck.

You never know what you will find or what their perspective of Atari stuff is. Sometimes people think it is worthless and want you to take it, and other people have jumped right out of 1982, and paid $99 for a plotter and think all of it should be worth pretty close to that.

Best thing to say if I had anything new to add to all this... ask their price, and if you don't like the price, keep in touch with them and leave them if nothing else a way to contact you. I have had many walk away with a high price trying to sell to others. Eventually a few have come back to me a year later wanting to get rid of the stuff. :)

I was at an antique store a few monts back and caught a glimpse of some Atari 2600 games. They were just commons, but I asked the lady anyway what she wanted for them.

Her reply: "Well, I know Pac-Man is very rare, so I have to sell that one for $25. You can have Combat and the others for $10 each."

I laughed in her face so loud I was almost embarrased.

She was dead serious though and could not understand what was so funny. I asked her how she came up with those prices and she admitedly said someone else told her and that she has no clue about these items.

When I mentioned their real value, he jaw almost hit the floor. I'm assuming she got ripped off royally.

:roll:

He said.... well, I'll let you have the 800XL, the 1010, that huge power supply and these games (8 disks?) for $150...  

I think this guy in NZ had the same idea.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Other/auct...on-23622119.htm

I'm not really sure about this and I hate cassettes but there's 100 of them! (if they are original)I bet it's a great collectors item! The one I was getting only had like 5 disks... haha.... but this appears to have quite a few disks and 100 tapes? Doubt still it's worth $150... but I bet it'd go for the upper $70s on eBay.

My 800XL only cost $10.

And it worked perfectly. Still does. I got it at a flea market.

I got an 800XL and a 1050 drive for $15 total, and another 800XL for under $10... and this was on Ebay!

I actually ended up putting my 1050 out on the street when I moved - I didn't think it was worth anything at all (and those suckers are huge, I just didn't feel like packing it). Did the same with one of the XL's.

Prices have gone up, though, I mean there's no denying it. Still, $150 is a little ridiculous.