IGNORED

Iron Soldier 2

masschamber

I've had a jaguar for 3 months now and I recently got a large lot of games for it. Among them was Iron Soldier, which suprisingly I really liked, which i didn't expect as 1 I have low expectations for most jag games, and 2 I don't like mech games. Anyway after Alien V predator, tempest and Raiden it's definately my favorite jag game.

SO to the point I'm thinking about attempting to buy Iron Soldier 2 (cartridge version I don't have the cd drive) and I know it's fairly expensive on ebay , but before I even try to look for a copy I was wondering a few things, I know the cart doesn't have red book audio but does it have any music during gameplay? and how does it's gameplay compare to the first Iron Soldier, is it faster or slower, is the control scheme more complex,

And last question was it only sold online through telegames or was there some distribution to stores?

Well, I don't own the IS2 cartridge, but I have IS2 CD and this one is a huge improvement over IS1, and I play both games regularly

Game controles are the same, IS2 has more missions, more weapons, improved gfx, and it is (in my opinion) harder to fullfill a mission, which makes it more challenging.....

I might forget a few differences though......

I believe that IS2 cartridge has music during gameplay, but I don't know for sure, but there are some people here who DO know for sure

Anyway, if you like IS1, then buy IS2 too, you won't be dissapointed....

IS2 is a great improvement over IS1. I wish it was a little bit faster.

Also wish we could have seen IS3 on the Jaguar.

When you guys talk about wishing I.S./I.S.2 were faster, do you mean the mech itself being able to move faster? Becuase that's just the game play, but if you are refering to the turn-rate and ability to look around, you can make it move faster, but since nost people don't thoroughly read manuals, if at all, the miss this bit: if you hold down "C" or "A" when turning or looking up&down (the button depends on the direction, but i don't recall offhand, so experiment) it make your mech turn&look up&down faster and if you hold down A and C at the same time, you turn VERY fast. Give it a shot, it just may totally change your perspective of just how "fast" the game is...

Hi folks !

I don't remember EVER having any problems with the speed of IS2. In my opinion it's incredible how they could do such a great game with such a high speed. Same is true for Battlemorph too :D

Amazing examples of what great coders can do on the Jag 3D wise.

Regards, Lars.

I think Starcat was referring to the frame rate when he meant "speed" which is very fast compared to other 3d games on the Jaguar.

Usually Jag games run around 10-15 frames, IS2 runs mostly at >20 fps I guess, with some occasionally stutters here and there.

This is really an achievement technicalwise - given credit to all the quirks and design hazards of the hardware. Really awesome!

However, I think you were referring to movement speed of the mech, and its so that in IS2 your mech is still rather slowly wandering around just like in its precedessor.

BTW If you finish the game a much faster Satyr walker is unlocked...

Iron Soldier 2, in my opinion, is one of the best Jaguar games there is. I don't know why, but I did not care for the first one at all... but the second one offers a perfect balance of gameplay that I love.

You should find it and get it for sure.

Oddly enough, I own IS3 for my Playstation and have yet to actually play it. I can't wrap my head around using the PS1 controller to play :(

When you guys talk about wishing I.S./I.S.2 were faster, do you mean the mech itself being able to move faster?

I meant the gameplay mostly. I know there is also a special code in the game where you can play as the smaller faster mech by going to the options screen and entering 7289766. But in normal mode getting across the city can take some time. I wish there was a run button or something like that..

When you guys talk about wishing I.S./I.S.2 were faster, do you mean the mech itself being able to move faster?

I meant the gameplay mostly. I know there is also a special code in the game where you can play as the smaller faster mech by going to the options screen and entering 7289766. But in normal mode getting across the city can take some time. I wish there was a run button or something like that..

Ok, I just wanted to make sure as I know people have complained about the speed of turning&looking around before and they did not know about holding the A and/or C buttons to turn/look faster.

Yes, with IS2, if you want speed, then enter that code and play as the Satyr walker, (for those who don't know) it's the small mechs you battle against in the game that resemble Star Wars two-footed mini walkers 9forget what they were called). You WILL run, and your speed is at least 3X as fast as the IS mech, maybe faster...of course the turning faster using the A&C buttons still works with it too.

Yes, with IS2, if you want speed, then enter that code and play as the Satyr walker, (for those who don't know) it's the small mechs you battle against in the game that resemble Star Wars two-footed mini walkers 9forget what they were called).

Aside from the chicken-walker configuration it really doesn't look much like an AT-ST ("Scout Walker"). It more closely resembles a Mechwarrior Madcat without the arms.

Yes, with IS2, if you want speed, then enter that code and play as the Satyr walker, (for those who don't know) it's the small mechs you battle against in the game that resemble Star Wars two-footed mini walkers 9forget what they were called).

Aside from the chicken-walker configuration it really doesn't look much like an AT-ST ("Scout Walker"). It more closely resembles a Mechwarrior Madcat without the arms.

Well, whatever, compare it to what you want. I use the Scout-walker comparison, becuase to me, it looks VERY much like one in many respects, it's teh first thing that came to me when I first saw the Satyr walkers in IS2, was the Star Wars Scout-walkers, and becuase Star Wars is known by almost EVERYONE, so it's a comparison that EVERYONE can reference. I own MechWarrior 2 on the Saturn, and maybe the vehicle your talking about isn't in two, but if it is I don't remember it, not to mention the fact that if you have to start taking parts a way, and I'd say ARMS are a VERY big part of a mech, than I don't see how it could possibly be a better comparison. But compare it to what you want... :|

So then i guess iron soldier 2 is what probably 15~20 % faster than Iron Soldier 1, that's cool, awesome now just to hopefully find a jaguar cd cheap so I can just get the cd or by some chance find a fairly priced cart.

Telegames UK still have the cart for a pretty good price. I myself bought one of them from Telegames UK and i was very pleased.

Voila.

Well, now that I've seen it, I definately agree with you that the Satyr walker does look more like your mech from Mechwarrior( a LOT more like it than the AT-ST). But that still doesn't change the fact that the AT-ST scout walker from Star Wars is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH...etc., etc., etc. more well known than the Mechwarrior one, and that most people wouldn't have a clue what you are refering too(including people like me who OWN one of the Mechwarrior games), so my comparison to the AT-ST is better for that reason alone.

Don't forget the sexy Surround Sound you get with Iron Soldier II 8) (at least with the CD version - what about the cart version - is that in Surround Sound as well?)

Btw, i got a Playstation primarily for playing Iron Soldier 3. Now that i've had it for almost a year, i still hardly ever play it! I much prefer the Jag's IS2 ;) (and the PSX controller SUX!!)

Hey,

Btw, i got a Playstation primarily for playing Iron Soldier 3. Now that i've had it for almost a year, i still hardly ever play it! I much prefer the Jag's IS2  ;)  (and the PSX controller SUX!!)
That's dedication. :-)

I've bought 2 European N505's (for the VLM, and to play around with

the home-brew SDK) and just got an N501 to play the games on. As

well as Tempest 3000, I had to have Iron Soldier III for the NUON.

I wonder if we'll see Iron Soldier IV on some platform? Any ideas?

How about the gamecube, and use the Bongos to make it walk, and

then clap to make it fire... Hit both Bongos to make it auto-seek...

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Yeah, well i picked up a CIB IS3 from UK eBay, and the PSX was given to me by my girlfriend (as she has a PS2) ;)

Man, i've been trying to pick up a new N501 for a while,, but always seem to be low on cash when one crops up on ebay! :sad: I take it that the N505 are the PAL equivelant? Any other differences?

Serblander, why do you prefer Jag IS2 above PSX IS3?

Is it just because you like your "Jaggie" or is IS2 really a better game?

I never saw or played IS3 so I am very curious

Well, i tried playing it but i just didn't... 'feel right'. I tried getting into it but i couldn't. Sometimes, the game that is on the original system loses something when it gets ported to another console (even when there's supposed to be improvements).

I do much prefer the Jaggy to the PSX - ESPECIALLY the controller. Maybe another factor is that i didn't want to get too into IS3 until i had clocked IS2 first! (as i like to do things in a chronological order) :)