IGNORED

Atari 2600 Zoo Keeper Audio Released!

Albert

Has anyone ever done a mockup of what Zookeeper may have looked like? Any programmers out there that have an idea how this could of been pulled off (especially the first screen)? Did Mr. Vieira confirm or deny that the gameplay elements had been worked on? Did he ever see the game in action? It would be interesting to find out...

Robert did tell me his memories of Zookeeper. The game was killed by Atari sometime in early 1984. He believes the programmer got over the most difficult hurdle--making the animals move up, down, sideways, and

upside-down as they ran around the cage. Something about flipping

playfield data. It was never "finished" as far as he can remember.

Taito didn't have a lot of good licenses to offer when you think about it.

Heh, ever play any of their updated classics for the Genesis? "Ultimate" Qix (note the sarcastic quotes) added a brief cinematic intro, power-ups, a picture when you began filling in the screen (granted, that's been done on various Qix ports anyway), and the ability for the Qix to shrink itself real small and escape from traps, but it was ridiculous that a two player option wasn't available (since I doubt the game took up any more than two or three megs). The same went for Space Invaders '91: even with updated, colorful graphics, power-ups, music, a brief cinematic ending if you beat it, several different backgrounds and all, etc., no two player option (whether it be two players taking turns or both being onscreen at once) was unforgivable, especially since I doubt that game even took up one meg.

Both games are still amusing for a while though, and definitely worth it...for a dollar loose, maybe. I don't think they're worth more than $5 apiece, if even that much.

There are some screen-shots of the 2600 zoo Keeper in this thread.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13185

Those are close, but don't quite match the proto I have.. ;)

..Al

Hmm.... Thomas had just helped you with the sound rom and now this. April fools coming up shortly, been here long enough to know better

Hmm.... Thomas had just helped you with the sound rom and now this. April fools coming up shortly, been here long enough to know better

<<-- Thinking the same thing. Remember the Turbo 2600 bit a few years back?

<<-- Thinking the same thing. Remember the Turbo 2600 bit a few years back?

LOL yes I remember that. how about 'I, Robot'(2600) or 'Burger Time'(5200) maybe this shaping up to be another Burger Time theme meaning an actual game ROM made recently and presented as a discovered prototype.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, I was just kidding up there (hence, the winking smiley). I do not have a Zoo Keeper prototype in my possession, nor is there any effort underway to program one as some sort of gag for April 1st. And the binary that was put together is genuine audio from the Zoo Keeper game that Atari was developing--I didn't intend for people to start thinking that was the start of an elaborate hoax leading up to April Fool's Day. Tough crowd! :)

..Al