IGNORED

Sio2SD

Heaven/TQA

I was wondering if anyone can help me..

I built my own SIO2SD, and it worked perfectly at first, but now it doesn't start up. When I turn the Atari on, the light for SD access lights up and stays lit, and the LCD screen powers up with the first line a little grayer than the second, which for me is usually a sign of an un-initialized 44780 LCD controller. It does this with an SD card installed, or not.

If I plug it into my ISP, I can control the ATMega just fine, erase it, re-program it, etc, and don't have any issue at all with that part. Once or twice, I've even gotten this thing to work again by erasing and re-flashing the CPU, but it isn't helping any more.

Any ideas from any one else who's built one? Any help would be appreciated!

Anyone managed to get Bounty Bob Strikes Back working with the Sio2SD in any way, shape or form?

After work - I send it to You working ATR files!

Check this:

http://marcinprusisz.pl/atari/Bounty_Bob_SB.XEX

or ATR Miner and Bounty Bob

http://marcinprusisz.pl/atari/Miner_BBounty.atr

Edited by Pigula

I was wondering if anyone can help me..

I built my own SIO2SD, and it worked perfectly at first, but now it doesn't start up. When I turn the Atari on, the light for SD access lights up and stays lit, and the LCD screen powers up with the first line a little grayer than the second, which for me is usually a sign of an un-initialized 44780 LCD controller. It does this with an SD card installed, or not.

If I plug it into my ISP, I can control the ATMega just fine, erase it, re-program it, etc, and don't have any issue at all with that part. Once or twice, I've even gotten this thing to work again by erasing and re-flashing the CPU, but it isn't helping any more.

Any ideas from any one else who's built one? Any help would be appreciated!

Send to me some photo!

I agree- the SIO2SD is a great device. The only thing that would make it better is a comprehensive user's manual. The website is of only limited use to noobies like me.

Yes I know! I need little time.... for made good manual for nobies!

Now all interface was made on 2.0 pcb -> like this -> http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/board2/sio2sd_brd.gif

On my Sio2SD I can't find that 74HC254 ttl.

Is it there? Or do I have the 1.0 version? Is that buffer chip for having higher Sio rates?

Thanks

Marius

I agree- the SIO2SD is a great device. The only thing that would make it better is a comprehensive user's manual. The website is of only limited use to noobies like me.

Yes I know! I need little time.... for made good manual for nobies!

Now all interface was made on 2.0 pcb -> like this -> http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/board2/sio2sd_brd.gif

On my Sio2SD I can't find that 74HC254 ttl.

Is it there? Or do I have the 1.0 version? Is that buffer chip for having higher Sio rates?

Thanks

Marius

You have pcb v1.

New version pcb I recive 2 days ago!

Anyone else have trouble using SIO2SD on a 1200xl? After adding +5VDC to the SIO, I tried it today with Atariwriter cartridge and an SD card with an ATR file containing DOS files, but I get "device not present" when I try to load a file. The same setup works fine on my 800xl so I'm wondering if this is a 1200xl issue.

Edited by yorgle

Anyone else have trouble using SIO2SD on a 1200xl? After adding +5VDC to the SIO, I tried it today with Atariwriter cartridge and an SD card with an ATR file containing DOS files, but I get "device not present" when I try to load a file. The same setup works fine on my 800xl so I'm wondering if this is a 1200xl issue.

Could you try that 1200XL with sio2PC or with a real atari diskdrive?

Marius

Thank you, but it doesn't work on either one. It goes blank after the loading message. Miner2049er works okay, but no BB.

You try load XEX or ATR file? And what SD card have you got?

Edited by Pigula

After reading some more about the 1200xl sio port, it seems mine already should have had +5v at the sio port because there was a 1ohm resister at R63 (apparently some 1200xl's had nothing at R63 requiring a jumper to be soldered in place). However, even with the resistor in place, the SIO2SD didn't work - the lcd display came on but it was dim and wouldn't boot anything. I soldered in a jumper to bypass the resistor and now the SIO2SD works.

Nope, that doesn't work either, but thanks for offering it.

Pigula, does it get past the loading screen for you? I tried both the .xex and .atr. It does the same thing as the .exe from mimo - load screen disappears to a blank black screen. I'm using a SanDisk 1GB MicroSD card inside an SD adapter. Formatted for 64k blocks. Thanks for your help.

Edited by djpubba

After reading some more about the 1200xl sio port, it seems mine already should have had +5v at the sio port because there was a 1ohm resister at R63 (apparently some 1200xl's had nothing at R63 requiring a jumper to be soldered in place). However, even with the resistor in place, the SIO2SD didn't work - the lcd display came on but it was dim and wouldn't boot anything. I soldered in a jumper to bypass the resistor and now the SIO2SD works.

Hmm, I know my 1200XL has the 1ohm resistor, guess this gives me something to try when I get home tonight!

You have pcb v1.

New version pcb I recive 2 days ago!

Cool! I love updates. What is the improvement? Why is that buffer chip? For the speed? Or other reasons? (or isn't it a buffer chip?)

Please let me know :)

I want to make new order soon :)

Marius

This chip is for better works with SD Card and stabilizer 3.3 like this http://tme.pl/katalog_pics/8/6/6/866e5ea10...lm2936z-3.3.jpg

but I use diffrent stabilizer... so interface on pcb v.1 works just as sio2sd on pcb v.2.

Okay, so I'm tracing down the problem, currently to the 74HC245.. It's dead. Plus, it seems Port C of my Atmega is dead. :(

This brings me to the question I had building this thing.. I don't think it's valid to power the '245 from 3.3V, yet have it's inputs going to 5V. Reading the datasheet for the '245 tells me the same thing, that Vi should never be more than Vcc! How many other people have made this with the '245, and has there been any problem?

Could you try that 1200XL with sio2PC or with a real atari diskdrive?

Marius

SIO2PC works fine with the 1200xl. I can't test my 1050 with it until I get a second power supply, but since the sio2pc works, it would seem the sio2sd doesn't like something about the 1200xl. Like I said, I know my sio2sd works because it works with my 800xl.

When I boot the 1200xl with the sio2sd attached, I get a blue screen with a cursur and a lower case "k" in the upper left corner of the screen. The display on the sio2sd starts counting for a second but then stops.

SIO2PC works fine with the 1200xl. I can't test my 1050 with it until I get a second power supply, but since the sio2pc works, it would seem the sio2sd doesn't like something about the 1200xl. Like I said, I know my sio2sd works because it works with my 800xl.

When I boot the 1200xl with the sio2sd attached, I get a blue screen with a cursur and a lower case "k" in the upper left corner of the screen. The display on the sio2sd starts counting for a second but then stops.

Sounds like it's trying to load the config menu. Is your SD card set up correctly?