IGNORED

Sio2SD

Heaven/TQA

Hallo guys

It's basically the same case. Biggest difference is the slot for the memory card. And its color of course. The HPC-301 is genuine Atari. You connect the card reader to a PC to read and probably write to memory cards used with the Portfolio.

sincerely

Mathy

It's basically the same case. Biggest difference is the slot for the memory card. And its color of course. The HPC-301 is genuine Atari. You connect the card reader to a PC to read and probably write to memory cards used with the Portfolio.

Amazing: so the card reader in an XM301 case is nothing new, then. :)

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there's a list of supported SIO commands besides the ones listed here? http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/SIO2SD

Note that Google Translate does a pretty good job on that page.

I've had a bit of a play today... got it to show text on the LCD, and tried the commands to read directories etc.

Haven't really done any programming of substance to show that off, so nothing to upload at this stage.

Also, there's already Atari Commander, which supports operations specific to SIO2SD (scroll down the page):

http://www.madteam.atari8.info/index.php?prod=uzytki

I'm thinking about writing a compact boot-loader that will work on the huge 16 Meg SpartDos images. Be nice if I could also get it able to walk through and access other images too.

The way I see it, if you just chuck a big pile of games onto a Menu-driven disk image, you could probably have all your favourites in 2 or 3 images and be able to navigate through them a lot quicker from a short Menu bootloader rather than navigating with the SIO2SD buttons or using it's built in boot-menu.

• 4 months later...

What is the "dreaded brownout" problem?

Occasionally if the device is hot-plugged into the Atari (or unplugged) which the power's on, it's temporarily unearthed and can corrupt the data on the Atmel chip. Properly set fuse bits are supposed to prevent this, but I've had chips go bad for no reason while working on the boards. Yours was programmed using the AVR header before I sent it out. If you can make up an AVR programmer lead, I could talk you through the process of flashing the chip.

I have been very careful to not hot swap it at all. So that hasn't happened.

I'd be grateful for assistance in flashing the chip (I want to learn this stuff anyway!).

But wouldn't the chip be fine, considering the menu system on the LCD works. I can load new images, navigate all paths, etc...

It's just not getting picked up by the Atari....If it's a loose connection, what's the most likely spot?

The Atari I'm using is an 800XL, with Citrad's 320XL attached to the PBI (I did the internal power Mod). The SIO port works with APE, 1050, etc....

Thanks,

This makes me afraid to use my SIO2SDs now! I've been using Sdrive out of habit, anyway. Same problems? (please say no)

You mean the brownout detector/fuse bits issue?

Yes, same problem, both the SIO2SD and SDrive developers didn't enable the brownout detector fuses in their original versions.

Currently Jakub has the corrected fuse bits on his new wiki pages, but the old pages still have the original fuse bits.

But: if your units have the fuse bits set correctly (to enable the brownout detector) there's nothing to worry about. I have both a SIO2SD and a SDrive here, even hotplug them from time to time, and had no problem at all so far.

BTW: changing the fuse bits is only possible with a (simple) programmer cable, upgrading firmware doesn't help (fuse-bits and firmware are independent).

so long,

Hias

Sounds like the drive's OK.

Loose connection would likely be Command, or Data Out. Less possible Data In.

Theoretically a bad Data In connection would still see it receive and try to run commands, which would be reflected on the display.

Just merely taking the cover off and plugging in the unit, sees it now read about 2 sectors and then freeze...All the wires seem properly soldered and snug, I will have to get out the multimeter I guess...and thoughts on where to start?

I'm guessing pin 5? (data out)

Edited by 8bitguy1

I've tried several different images from the Holmes archive as well as a Spartados disk image, nothing works. It's gone back to being completely unrecognized. Just a ready prompt, with no attempt to access the image. It seems like its trying though, the LCD scrolls through a few lines on power up.

It starts with: D1: $52® $0001

I end up with: 4F: $40(@) $0000

But no recognizable beeping....just like nothing was in the SIO....

Weird - $52 is the Read command, so at the least it's received a Read Sector command.

The second one is just the poll request that gets sent to allow other SIO devices to upload handlers.

Sounds to me like the Data In might be the problem. Maybe your cable just has a break somewhere that's intermittent.

Check the SIO plug to make sure all the pins look like they're in the right positions.

Testing the cable with a multimeter would also be a real good idea. Take it off the SIO2SD, test it and flex the cable around to see if conductivity stops at any point.

• 3 months later...